Computer Related > Phone line problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: J Bonington Jagworth Replies: 10

Phone line problem - J Bonington Jagworth
An old lady whose computer I maintain has a weird phone extension problem that I would welcome help with, if there are any telco engineers reading.

She has the usual BT master socket, which is upstairs, and a solitary extension downstairs, which has a router and an ordinary phone connected, via the usual filter. The router works but the phone doesn't...

I changed the socket, which had taken a knock (and which I thought was the problem), but with no change. Different phones produce the same result. Upstairs has an box that calls out when she presses an alarm, but appears conventional in other respects, i.e. it's not permanently on-line, and that is in parallel with another ordinary phone that works OK.

I would blame the wiring, except that the router hums away happily on the extension. Could it be the ring signal line isn't connecting?
 Phone line problem - AnotherJohnH

www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

the modem/router may work "one legged".

ringing wire disconnected won't stop a modern phone - it will work with just "2" and "5" looped through.

AFAIR.
Thank you, John - I didn't know that. It certainly seems as though one of the extension wires is failing to connect or broken - finding out where might be tricky, though...

I guess one answer would be to install a wireless phone, but I shall need to find one with big buttons!
 Phone line problem - bhoywonder
Maybe I am just reading the thread wrong. But just in case. Is the phone dead or does it have dial tone?
No dial tone, no nuffin. Router works fine! I suspect a wiring break, if the router is somehow working 'one-legged' as has been suggested. I will check the continuity when I get a chance...
 Phone line problem - bhoywonder
Just in case you do not know. 2 and 5 are for speech and as long as you are using a master LJU you do not have to worry about pin 3. Which may come in handy in you think there is a breakage.
 Phone line problem - Bellboy
rats in the kitchen what you gonna do?
go to poundland replace the extension lead
 Phone line problem - rtj70
Is the extension perhaps plugged into the BT master socket via a ADSL micro filter?
 Phone line problem - John H
>> Is the extension perhaps plugged into the BT master socket via a ADSL micro filter?
>>

Eh? I don't understand what you mean here.

Phone line problem - hawkeye
My BT system is ages old and has an accessible ceramic fuse in one of the wires. When Mrs H worked nights I used to pop the fuse out; the router ignored the missing wire and carried on as normal.
 Phone line problem - bathtub tom
Not a fuse, but a lightning protector IIRC. I remember seeing them as an apprentice - I'm retired now. ;>)
Latest Forum Posts