Computer Related > Broadband drops out overnight Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 10

Broadband drops out overnight - Paul Robinson
My AOL broadband via BT ADSL line, Thomson ST585 modem router and ethernet cable connection has started dropping out overnight. Seems like every morning at the moment there is a red light 'no internet' on the modem and I have to reboot the modem to get it going. This morning I've had to reboot a couple of times! Suggestions please!
 Broadband drops out overnight - Fenlander
Paul I've just been looking at changing from my small ISP to another as I've suffered the same recently after years of reliable service. Mine was off at 8am today and rebooting failed to fire up the net. Just come back in at 9.10am to find the router showing a connectiobn and all's fine.

The loss of connection is always late evening and rarely lasts beyond breakfast time.

Odd.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 13 Oct 10 at 09:21
Hello David

Perhaps they are doing lots of work on the systems to improve service to those of us living in rural areas!
 Broadband drops out overnight - Fenlander
TBH I'd wondered if it was his traffic/load management taking us out for periods. We are only on a max 2.0-3.0 connection at the best of times. Folks down the end of the village struggle to top 0.6. Hope things are still well along the Fosse.
It does help knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem!

I tried the JBJ suggestion and last night switched the modem off. This morning it booted up straight away. Bit of a pain, but not the end of the world.

Things still well along the Fosse thank you David. Three and a half years into rural living, so I've slowed down almost as much as the locals. Generally relaxed, except when the broadband goes down ....
 Broadband drops out overnight - J Bonington Jagworth
FWIW, I find my router behaves better if I turn it off overnight, possibly because it's not struggling to remake a connection if the ISP disconnects at their end.

Because of all my computer clobber, I bought a 6-way mains strip with a master socket that supplies the PC itself, so when that is turned off, everything else is too, including my desk lamp. How lazy can you get..?
 Broadband drops out overnight - Falkirk Bairn
My AOL connection was dropping a lot over Sat/Sun, Monday/Tuesday was fine but early today - 5 am it would not connect - at 6 am approx it sprung to life.

Seems to me AOL (Talk Talk Carphone Warehouse system) have more than their share of problems in the last few days - when it is up I am getting 6Mb which is about 2 x the rate of the ;ast few years.
 Broadband drops out overnight - AnotherJohnH
My modem is a lttle timer which switches the power off about at about 01:00 and back on about 06:00

I'm sure the greens are delighted by the handfull of watt hours it "saves".
 Broadband drops out overnight - Tooslow
Hmm. How much power does the timer draw? :-)

John
 Broadband drops out overnight - Bellboy
my internet drops out occasionally here at work during the day,it used to do it all the time till i replaced the extension lead from master to modem for a £1 from poundland,work that one out but certainly worth a try if you are using same
 Broadband drops out overnight - AnotherJohnH
>> Hmm. How much power does the timer draw? :-)

I've never measured it, but I'm confident it is some orders of magnitude less than a Netgear DG834G...

And, before you ask, I'm away from home at the moment.
Latest Forum Posts