Computer Related > TomTom Home for Mac - avoid Miscellaneous
Thread Author: paulb Replies: 5

TomTom Home for Mac - avoid - paulb
Right, just installed the above on the iMac.

Plugged in perfectly-functioning (if not very new) TomTom One. TomTom Home updates some bit of firmware or other. So far, so good.

I then back the One up, and try to disconnect using the "disconnect my device" button - produces absolute forest of error messages and corrupts the One in the process so that it won't even start - keeps telling me I have a non-TomTom card in it. Attempts to reformat and reinstall from the backup (the files are all there and appear OK) entirely unsuccessful.

Has anybody else had this problem (and sussed out a way to fix it) or am I the lucky winner??
 TomTom Home for Mac - avoid - rtj70
I have TomTom Home on my Mac and it works fine. Although not tried in for a few weeks. Also allowed me to run the TomTom app and maps in the 'operate my device' option.

Have you got a full back of the Go via any other means, i.e. a simple file copy of the contents of the memory card?
Yes - it's called the old PC..... [sigh]

When I say a not very new TT One, I mean a 2006 model. That shouldn't make a difference though, should it?
 TomTom Home for Mac - avoid - teabelly
That doesn't sound good. The tomtom update software is a bit ropey. Clowns at tomtom link the mac autoupdater to the windoze version!

Have you tried the paperclip in little hole trick to reset it completely? Think you have to push it in for 10 seconds or so. I don't know how devastating it is with your data so you may lose lots of your information, especially if the last backup hasn't worked. I'd then restart the tomtom. Plug it in and do an update and see if it starts. Then see if you can get some of your data back on it.

Mine is temperamental about starting. It often thinks it is connected to a computer when it isn't.
 TomTom Home for Mac - avoid - rtj70
Using a paperclip to reset of TomTom shouldn't remove any data. In fact if you're not using it for a while, doing this shuts it off completely and then when you power it back up from off (and not a 'sleep' mode) it probably has some power in the battery.

If you have a full Windows based backup of the TomTom then plugging it in an accessing as a memory device should allow you to copy all the file back on. But I'd not trust a TT backup for restore as it can miss important files.

Of course you can also copy the contents off using Finder on the Mac.

Note my TomTom model is the 720 so just as old as yours and does work on the Mac.
Thanks both. I tried erasing the SD card and restoring manually from Finder but the TT wasn't having any of that.

In the end I had to get the old PC back out of its box and plug it all back in - one restore later and we're back to normal.

Not impressed. Will give the Mac version one more chance (following a reinstall) but if this happens again I'll be using the work PC.
Latest Forum Posts