Computer Related > Smartphone with keyboard Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 16

Smartphone with keyboard - ToMoCo
My Blackberry (Bold, I think) has served me well for the past 24 months, time for a new contract.

No.1 use is for email (well, no, it's a phone but YKWIM).

I would like it to have a qurty keyboard, I know they are not perfect, but still better than purely touch IMO.

Bit of web browsing (sites like this etc) and some business apps so a bigger screen than the Blackberry.

Any views on the Milestone (2, if I can get a decent deal) or android v symbian v Windows in general?

Smartphone with keyboard - Iffy
As a start, you could do worse than have a read of this recent thread:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=3396
 Smartphone with keyboard - rtj70
HTC Desire Z has a slide out keyboard. But you might want to take a look at how Swype works on the Samsung Galaxy S. It's touch screen but fast input of words.
Thanks both.

Yes, Desire Z, Milestone and latest offering from Blackberry on the shortlist.

'Fast input of words' that's not like predictive is it? suppose I should go and actually have a look at some phones.

Looks like Bobby settled on the Galaxy S, Had a read at that thread, but no better off as to the merits of each OS to be honest. Take it they will all do the basics i'm looking for anyway.
 Smartphone with keyboard - movilogo
I understand you are inclined towards a phone with keyboard but you might try pure touch screen ones too.

They are often faster for text input!

Smartphone with keyboard - rtj70
Swype is not predictive in the normal sense although it tries to guess if you've been a bit clumsy so to speak. Should be plenty of demos shown on YouTube and the like.
 Smartphone with keyboard - Pezzer
Another is SwiftKey which I use on my Desire, which does predict your words (and learns from your use) I find it very good.
Not to be confused with predictive text which drives me absolutely nuts.
 Smartphone with keyboard - PeteW
Seconded. Use this on my Desire also. I'm a clumsy fingered so and so and find the 'prediction' spot on with a number of choices given onscreen that you can opt for or ignore as you wish.
Incidentally, I'm having to charge the Desire each day (or rather over night). Seems this is normal for most smartphones and to be honest is not a great issue. Tried the various snake oil suggestions on the internet but no difference. It does get used a fair bit for internet etc during the day (particularly at the moment for prezzy selection!) so I guess it's not too bad really.
 Smartphone with keyboard - Roger.
Funnily enough I was just going to post a request for advice on this very subject!
We are considering, for when we return to the UK (soon!), an internet enabled phone of some sort.
We do not want (or can't, actually), to spend a great deal of money as this will be solely for private use, as we are both retired.
We need: Web browsing, email, camera, & phone facilities. It would be nice to have GPS but not essential. 3G capability is probably on the list, too.
It would be nice to have a decent size screen and older fingers really need good sized keys.
We do not want a contract - just PAYG as we are not creditworthy!
Ideas?

May be worth not ruling out a contract phone. Something like the HTC desire is going to be around £400 I imagine (not saying this is a suitable phone) on PAYG, then you still have to pay for calls / data etc. You could probably get the same phone free on contract with included minutes / data for around £25 p/m

EDIT: Ok, must read post to the end. Lack of Credit History may be a problem then. I don't know though, seems like all teenagers run around with latest iPhones etc, Is credit search a big part of getting a contract?
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 08:30
 Smartphone with keyboard - CGNorwich
If money is tight perhaps you need to consider whether you actually need an internet enabled phone. A cheap phone with a camera and a netbook might fulfil your needs better and prove more versatile.
 Smartphone with keyboard - Iffy
...A cheap phone with a camera and a netbook might fulfil your needs better and prove more versatile...

I was thinking the same thing.

A £20 Nokia PAYG from Tesco or Asda is a very good phone, and the battery lasts for a fortnight, unlike smart phones, some of which conk out after lunch.

As for the netbook, how about a Ubisurfer?

Access is built-in and included in the price, so no dongle to mess around with and no monthly payments.

www.ubisurfer.com/html/UbiSurfer_Overview.htm
Just took delivery of a new Motorola Milestone 2, i'll be back soon looking for advice :-).

Will write up a brief review once i've tested it out for a couple of weeks, and happy to answer any queries I can.

Although I should have probably just got an iPhone ;-)

No sim card with phone. will have to wait another few days.
 Smartphone with keyboard - Zero
>> No sim card with phone. will have to wait another few days.

Should have got a sim card.
 Smartphone with keyboard - John H
>> We need: Web browsing, email, camera, & phone facilities. It would be nice to have
>> GPS but not essential. 3G capability is probably on the list, too.
>> It would be nice to have a decent size screen and older fingers really need
>> good sized keys.
>> We do not want a contract - just PAYG as we are not creditworthy!
>> Ideas?
>>

Nokia 5230 PAYG from CPW (carphonewarehouse) fits the bill perfectly, and includes free sat-nav (which works both online and offline).
CPW mentioned as most, if not all, CPW supplied phones are unlocked. You can of course get it from other outlets.

Smartphone with keyboard - John H
>> You can of course get it from other outlets.
>>

direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-3395.aspx
Catalogue number: 207-3395
Tesco Mobile Nokia 5230 mobile phone Black £59.97
Latest Forum Posts