Computer Related > Scrapping old computers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 15

Scrapping old computers - FocalPoint
I'm in the process of getting rid of two old computers and am attempting to destroy the hard drives.

So far, after a struggle, I've got into two hard drives and find what appear to be shiny metal disks.

Is it enough to seriously deform these, or do I need to take further steps before I take them to recycling?
 Scrapping old computers - Zero
Just wang them one with a hammer so they don't spin.

Seriously, you have gone way way way overboard. There is nothing on your hard drives that warrants this level of destruction

Next time just use a free overwriting utility.
 Scrapping old computers - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/254n4r2

www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/08/20/pc-pros-top-10-hard-disk-destruction-methods/

www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk/data-disasters-2006/ (Number 5 in particular).

Howeverl, as Zero points out, unless you have absolutely vital or secret data on a hard drive, overwrite it or similar method.
 Scrapping old computers - Tooslow
That takes forever. I just use a sledgehammer.

But if you do decide on the overwrite route, and at the risk of appearing boring, the Swiss Army Knife of software utilities (aka CCleaner) does it, if you have the current version.

John
 Scrapping old computers - RattleandSmoke
I usualy try and bend the platters and then scratch them as much as possible. I then put a magnet to them. I then tell the customer to despose of each platter at different times. Software is far too boring.

Scrapping old computers - rtj70
We securely scrapped the hard disks of director's computers at a bank once - customer was not happy with software overwriting these. It was for directors only though.

As an end of project gift we all got a hard disk in a Perspex (TM) case with the insides on show. I bet if you fired them up they still worked ;-) I think I still have mine.
And most platters are glass and not metal... so a hammer should smash them I guess? Never tried.
A surprising number are still spun aluminium. Don't forget these are old computers.,
True. It's the newer ones in recent years that use glass platters.
 Scrapping old computers - RattleandSmoke
Glass were mostly used for 2.5" drives I have not actually seen a 3.5" drive with glass platters yet but then destroying hard drives is not something I do that often, I usualy tell the clients to keep the drive some where secure just in case.

Scrapping old computers - Pat
Belt and braces Rattle:)

Pat
 Scrapping old computers - L'escargot
>> But if you do decide on the overwrite route, and at the risk of appearing
>> boring, the Swiss Army Knife of software utilities (aka CCleaner) does it, if you have
>> the current version.

I've just updated CCleaner to the latest version. If I use Drive Wiper, what happens to CCleaner? Is it the last thing to be deleted?
It wont wipe the drive letter its booted from.

If you want to wipe that, boot it from a cd or usb stick
 Scrapping old computers - FocalPoint
Quite by chance, I came across the following. Very satisfying to watch the video!

www.kmdltd.com/services/21/on-site-media-destruction
 Scrapping old computers - Tooslow
Spectacular result but a sledgehammer is SO much more satisfying.
John
 Scrapping old computers - Clk Sec
>>Quite by chance, I came across the following. Very satisfying to watch the video!

A nice little side-line for Rattle, perhaps. I've got one in the loft that needs sorting.
Latest Forum Posts