Computer Related > Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 17

Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - FotheringtonTomas
XP Pro 2002 SP3

It's been OK for ages. Now, at the black screen "resuming... press F8 for advancad options..." it takes about 5 minutes to get to a login screen. Functionality appears perfectly normal during subsequent use.

Earlier, I had a problem with some sort of Win HDD scareware, so installed Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free version, and ran a procedure detailed at:

www.myantispyware.com/2010/11/27/how-to-remove-win-hdd-uninstall-instructions/

after having broken the scareware sufficiently to allow running of executables.

Ran Atribune's ATF cleaner, then MalwareBytes Anti-malware. Mmm. But not in "safe mode".

Any ideas?

Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Iffy
I don't pretend to understand the technical nature of your problems, buy might it be time to upgrade to Windows 7?

Most people seem to like it, and security is supposed to be one of its stronger points.

Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Stuartli
XP should resume after Hibernation very quickly as you appear to be aware.

Try stopping Hibernation mode and then re-configuring it after a Restart or Shut Down.

I also use Windows7 and, as with XP Pro, have it set to Shut Down from the Start menu and to go into Hibernation if the computer case power button is pressed.

But you do need to do a proper Shut Down at the end of the day, rather than keep using Hibernation.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Dog
I'd try a system restore, and use stand by in future.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - smokie
Don't think this would be virus related, and Windows 7 is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. This is all about the time it takes for the disk to spin back up and read the state of the machine. Will have a think about what might cause it and come back later.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - smokie
OK, if I follow my assumption (that is is not virus related), and it's working normally after resume (i.e. no hardware faults) the only thing I can think of is that there is something missing at restart time which was there when it was hibernated, or something which was running at hibernate time cannot access the resource it was using. Thus the extended time would be due to having to wait for timeouts from resources it is looking for.

Obvious devices which might be missing might include a USB device, or maybe it's taking time to establish the network connection.

Or, as I say, some piece of running software when you hibernate is using a resource. And now I think of it, it's conceivable that it could be a Trojan or something trying to talk to it's host before the network is there. But I think this is unlikely.

Is the disk especially full, in which case the file it writes for hibernation might be badly fragmented, and take longer to read (again, unlikely)

Lastly, does it take a long time to boot up from cold, as much of the hibernation resumption routine is similar.

Nothing solid there I'm afraid but it might prompt better minds than mine to come up with other suggestions.

Oh, just a thought - you could try shutting down as many programs as you can before hibernation to see if you can isolate one of them causing an issue.
>> XP should resume after Hibernation very quickly as you appear to be aware.

I am aware. I use hibernation quite a lot, and it is good.

>> But you do need to do a proper Shut Down at the end of the
>> day, rather than keep using Hibernation.

I'll give a "normal" reboot a go. I cannot see any reason why I should need to do this instead of "keeping using hibernation", unless there're patches or similar to be installed.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Tooslow
FT, it is no longer as true as it once was but badly written code, can acquire resources, particularly memory and not release them, even when the program ends. In the case of memory the phenomenom is known as a memory leak. A complete shutdown / restart is necessary from time to time to clear this.

If you have been relying on hibernation and have not stop / started for some time, that's the place to start.

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 15:00
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Zero
John

Memory leaks still happen. Its very bad practise to rely exclusively on hibernating a PC, you end up with all sorts of dross half loaded, device drivers hung, resources unavailable..etc etc.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Tooslow
Z, indeed they do. As my pc boots in some ridiculously fast time these days I only ever use full "shut down". I started drooling over a 64GB SSD for £90 but then thought "my pc starts faster than my router so why bother?" Router stays on all day, gets switched off at night.

It'd be good to hear how FT is getting on.
John
I always do a proper Shut Down at the end of the day rather than keep using Hibernation.

As you are also likely aware, Standby or Sleep doesn't Save the current status of the system unlike Hibernation and, if you get a power cut, you can/could lose data or unsaved work.

We've been suffering occasional power cuts in my area for the first time in many years, although where I live it's just been a split second break in the electricity supply.

But it's enough to shut down my computer and the TV, with both resuming normal operations almost immediately.

One of the reasons was a faulty cable under a road and the other was traced to a sub-station where some toe rags had apparently stolen the transformer, no doubt for scrap value...:-)

Pity they weren't electrocuted....

Both the road and the sub-station are a couple of miles from where I live.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - rtj70
A long shot, but you've not installed any full disk encryption software on the machine recently have you? My laptop has full disk encryption and it takes a long time to resume from hibernate because the 4Gb hibernation file has to be decrypted.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 21:41
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - devonite
use control-alt-delete to bring up task manager, use process tab to see if you can discover what is hogging your rescourses, then use a "startup" manager to try and disable it from starting at boot, and run some reputable system,anti-malware cleaners to try and remove it whilst it is not "in-use".

I find not much survives a thorough going over by using "Spybot, Malwarebytes and ccleaner, one after the other, especially "full system scans" in "Safe mode".
You can check Startup items by typing msconfig in Run or W7's Search box (both from Start)>Startup tab.

You can stop unwanted items by ticking its check box, but be sure you don't disable any necessary items.

A Restart will Enable any changes.
>> use control-alt-delete to bring up task manager

I can't do that before the thing's booted up.
>> you've not installed any full disk encryption software on the machine

No.
>> I always do a proper Shut Down at the end of the day rather than
>> keep using Hibernation.

I would put money on the statement that I don't think it's to do with the hibernation mechanism/memory leaks/file descriptor leaks/whatever. It *could* be due to the restoration of (something) to a particular state on startup.
 Windoze *very* slow resuming after hibernation. - Focusless
Have you tried looking in Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer (System probably) to see if there are any clues in there? Probably aren't but won't do any harm to have a look.
Latest Forum Posts