Computer Related > Locked in Explorer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

Locked in Explorer - Ambo
Increasingly, Explorer refuses to let me close it. Can anyone please suggest how to cure this?
 Locked in Explorer - Zero
Download and use another browser.

Chrome is good.
 Locked in Explorer - smokie
@ Zero - it says Explorer, not Internet Explorer...

@ OP - which do you mean?
I assumed the browser, if its windows explorer, then I assumed he would say "machine wont let me shut down"

I could be wrong of course. If its the later its normally caused by a process waiting for input.
 Locked in Explorer - John H
>> Increasingly, Explorer refuses to let me close it. Can anyone please suggest how to cure
>> this?
>>

Is that why you have been unable to update us on your previous computer problems? ;-)

Locked in Explorer - Focusless
>> Increasingly, Explorer refuses to let me close it.

Just to clarify, you click on the X in the top right hand corner, or select File/Exit, and it just stays there? Does it continue to otherwise operate normally? If you run Task Manager does it show high CPU usage?
 Locked in Explorer - Ambo
-Yes
-Yes
-I don't know what constitutes high usage but under Task Manager, the Applications tab may show up to three windows in use at a time but the problem can occur with only one

It is Internet Explorer (and Windows 7). I get the message "Internet Explorer is not responding" and giving me the alternatives of restarting, closing or waiting for a response. I have tried waiting up to 10 minutes with no response.
Its a failing of Internet Explorer resolve the details on some web pages. Its a pretty common complaint with IE8

The easiest and simplest cure is to use another browser.
 Locked in Explorer - DP
As a previously happy IE user who never bothered looking into the alternatives, my loyalty has gone with IE8. I find it very prone to hanging for no apparent reason, either when closing down, or sometimes mid-browse. It's seemingly random, and there's no pattern in terms of sites visited that I can detect. It can go for days and behave perfectly, then just hang and need to be manually killed off in Task Manager. I won't have visited any sites or pages on the day it died than I did on the days it worked.

Too much hassle. It's Chrome or Firefox for me these days. Both excellent browsers.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 8 Dec 10 at 12:13
Latest Forum Posts