Computer Related > Slow broadband/internet performance? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 74

Slow broadband/internet performance? - Fenlander
I wonder if someone could give me a logical series of issues to check with our interent that seems to be very slow at the moment.

Problem is the same with both the main PC and the laptop via wi-fi so I'm excluding a PC fault.

I've done a speed test and I'm getting just 0.3MB download and 0.165MB streaming. As you can guess BBC IPlayer is unuseable as are many Youtube videos.

According to checks I've made of our phone number on various broadband sites we should get a max of 2.0MB. I think in the past it has always be just over 1.0MB at worse.

Must mention I've just noticed this message on my ISP website service status area...

**After yesterday's outage we are seeing a number of customers with stale sessions. I can confirm that the outage has been resolved but if you are unable browse or have problems connecting to the internet, please power down your router for at least 30 minutes. Dated 28th Nov'10

I've tried the long poer down and it hasn't helped.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Zero
What router are you using? we need to see the connection data from that.

Step 1 - go round the house and unplug every other device /phone from your phone line, and then reboot your router.
Thanks... OK will do with step 1... BTW where do I find the router connection data? It's a Belkin 54G.
Login to the router

192.168.2.1 on your browser

need the data rate and the noise margin.

On the belkin it should be on the front page.
Perhaps you expected this Zero but I'm gobsmacked. Powered down the router for a few minutes with the two phones unplugged. Rebooted router and did a speed test... 1.91MB... more than we've ever seen! Connected each phone in turn and it's made no difference... still 1.91MB.

The router data rate is 2464Kb/448Kb but I can't see the noise margin ... could it be called something else?

BTW so how did the router reboot in a better way with no phones connected?
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 19:40
you should see a panel that says something like

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 11591Kb 1020Kb
Noise Margin 9 10
output power(dBm) 119 204
Attenuation(dB) 35 11
DOnt count your chickens yet, its got time to negotiate down if you have errors on your line.

It could be errors on the line that have forced it down in steps. Taking out the phones gives it a chance to negotiate speed under best conditions.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - AnotherJohnH
54G is the wireless connection speed/type.

look here if you can find the router type, might be F5D7632 or similar.

www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 20:00
I really can't find this noise value. The info shown is...

ADSL Status Connected
Data Rate Down/Up 2464Kb/448Kb
WAN MAC address
Connection Type PPPoA
Wan IP
Subnet mask
Default gateway
DNS Address

I have taken out the data which I assume may be personal to our router/account.

What is the router negotiating with when it increases and reduces its speeds and can you describe what that means in laymans terms?
Thanks AJH with the help of that webpage I've found the hidden page. The data is...

Operation Data

Up Stream
448 (Kbps.)

Down Stream
2464 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin
Upstream 23 dB
Downstream 13 dB

Attenuation
50 dB Upstream
44 dB Downstream

Defect Indication
Indicator Name

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction
6031 (Far end)

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error
5 (Far end)

Loss of Signal Defect
---

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 20:10
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Rhubarb
Looking at your stats, you are on a 12db/Interleaved profile at you exchange which would reduce your downstream connection speed. This could be the sign of a bad line but it could also be triggered by a faulty modem or some temporary interference at some time in the past. My profile was once ruined by a prolonged thunderstorm. Try getting in touch with your ISP and asking them to reset the profile for your line in the exchange. (Tell them you've had a faulty modem.)

You are showing 6k FEC errors, how long had your modem been connected when you took these stats? (FEC errors are not a big problem because they are errors that have been corrected.)
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Rhubarb
Quick update on my post: I have just seen your latest post and assume from that that you are with TalkTalk. They are quite helpful with changing profiles but you need to sign-up to their user forum to get anything done. They won't reset your profile but they will change it for you if you ask in the forum, suggest you ask to get your margin reduced to 9db to start with and then try 6db if it's stable. Here is a forum request I did for a mate some time back using his details: tinyurl.com/2wgyjx5 HTH
Assuming your Internet service is whats called "rate adaptive" it will always try and rack up the speed to the max it can.

In your exchange is a piece of kit usually called a DSLAM, that your internet connects to. Your router, while logging onto the DSLAM, actually talks to it and finds out what its maximum speed can be, and then tries to ramp itself up to that speed. It reaches a point where the line statistics start to groan and it notches it down a bit.

In laymans terms its negotiated it speed.

If the line statistics start to shout foul at any time in the future, it will knock you down a notch till it clears up. Or not. Or get worse.

You probably had line issues and you got knocked down a notch or two (or more)
OK understood thanks. Does the above data throw any light on it? When you say a line issue do you mean BT's line to the village and our house?
>> OK understood thanks. Does the above data throw any light on it? When you say
>> a line issue do you mean BT's line to the village and our house?

All the way from your point where the router is plugged in to the exchange.

Just keep your eye on the CRC errors and the negotiated speed.
you have higher attenuation than I do because you are further from the exchange.

those things called CRC errors? thats a cyclic redundancy check, you want as few of those as possible.
Zero (& AJH) I'm massively grateful for this help and information. At least I understand something of the process involved and now know where to look for the data to keep an eye on this.

I could have spent ages onto the service helpline and never reached this level of understanding.

Many thanks.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - MD
After yonks have given the Belkin to the dogs to eat. Absolute carp. Installed a Lynksys or whatever and performance is sooo much better. Our speeds here are appalling being at the end of a copper wire from distant lands (rural exchange) but the new router has improved things somewhat.

Best regards,

Brian Blessed (sans beard)
I favour Netgear, but yes its true a different router can often negotiate better speeds.
So it could be the Belkin at fault for failing to renegotiate after line issues? No problem I'll keep an eye on it.

As a matter of interest we are 1.3mls from the exchange with only a dozen houses on the way.... a mile further on the downside of us there are 200-300 houses on the same exchange/line.

One of the speed sites I tried had this ping test as well.... that's come up with a terrible result on packet loss whatever that is.

www.pingtest.net/result/29920551.png
Try another server.

96% packet loss is "not working at all " territory.

here is mine

www.pingtest.net/result/29920973.png
I've tried several servers all over the world and it comes back as 96% packet loss every time. Could it be my firewall or McAfee resisting the test?
Shouldn't be, they are usually only set not to answer a ping.

(A ping is a favourite tool for hackers trying to find victims - ping followed by port scan - no response to ping and you dont get portscanned)

But its possible its one of your security tools yes.

However, its not accurate. why?

It cant be 96% *every* time

96% means only 4% of your data is getting through. You wouldn't be in here discussing it with me if that were the case.
OK thanks... I accept the 96% figure is some sort of error. I tried another ping site and it said my address was unpingable then advised it could be my Windows or McAfee firewall. Don't want to mess with them so I'll leave it as is while the speeds stay high.
Try this.

Open a command prompt window

(all programs / accessories / command prompt)

IN the command window type

ping www.bbc.com

then enter.

This will send 4 pings and you should get

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.71] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.244.71: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=53
Reply from 212.58.244.71: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.71:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 26ms

Decent result this time...

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.70] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=52
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=131ms TTL=52
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=52
Reply from 212.58.244.70: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 212.58.244.70:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 64ms, Maximum = 131ms, Average = 81ms

Must have been that other ping website was a bit dodgy. Anyway the reliable BBC to the rescue.

Thanks again.
You can sleep well tonight then ;)
Too true.

Effectively our internet connection was seizing up and each family member does so much crucial stuff online it was worse than having the phone cut off.

As Joni Mitchell said....

.... you don't know what you've got till it's gone
looking at the stats above, I'd say you are still being short changed, even with the router you've got.

Put your attenuation figure in here:

www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

I'd expect double what you have, maybe more.

Depends what you're paying for - your ISP can/will limit what you get given half an excuse.

Have a good look arond the kitz site, there's a huge quantity of good information there.
Thanks John. I've tried putting our attenuation figure into the site and it does seem to be associated with a line about 50% longer than our actual distance to exchange. However I note it refers to variances about line material and joint quality etc.

The BT lines here are very old overhead ones from a very old rural exchange which initially gave them real problems when introducing broadband. I know when the village school about 2km downstream of us went onto broadband the line was deemed insufficient so they put in some sort of microwave system.

If I go to any broadband website and input our location/landline it will say the max service we can be offered is 2MB. So perhaps due to iffy equipment we are close to as good as it gets on our newly improved 1.9MB.

I have just rechecked our speed on broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and it is up at 1.93MB. That site allows you to see all the other people who have taken the test locally plotted on a map. Others on our exchange are getting figures like... .63, .68, .74, .69, .41, 1.35, .3, 1.15, .67, .89, 1.02... and just one result for a Talk Talk user at 2.24.

So we are right in the top of the range by a good margin.
In reply to Rhubard further up the thread...

We are with Freedom2Surf who have just been taken over by Opal who I gather are the business broadband side of Talk Talk... not sure if that allows me access to the Talk Talk forums and facilities??

Anyway you're just starting to lose me now with comments about a 12db/Interleaved profile and getting them to change profiles. Is this something to do with the exchange end of things or software further up the chain?

As a matter of interest I did a check our phone number on the Opal website and it comes up with the same max 2MB speed for our line as all the other providers offer... so surely as I'm getting over 1.9MB all the time now I'll not really do better??
>> The BT lines here are very old overhead ones from a very old rural exchange which initially
>> gave them real problems when introducing broadband..

Enough said.

>> website and it comes up with the same max 2MB speed for our line as
>> all the other providers offer... so surely as I'm getting over 1.9MB all the time
>> now I'll not really do better??

Its doubtful. I know a few people out your way, similarly strung with copper via poles. 2- 3 mb is always about the max they can get.

Slow broadband/internet performance? - Focusless
>> Its doubtful. I know a few people out your way, similarly strung with copper via
>> poles. 2- 3 mb is always about the max they can get.

Our line comes in over our heads from poles, but we get 13-14Mb. Is it not copper, or just the fact we're close to the exchange (~mile IIRC)?
There are poles. IE a single pole., or miles of wire on poles.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Stuartli
>>. Is this something to do with the exchange end of things>>

TalkTalk OCEs on the TT Members' Forum website are able to change a subscriber's profile if it has its own LLU equipment in a BT exchange (very likely). They can also check your US and DS figures and some other aspects of the connection.

IIRC the Customer Services staff can also change profiles.
Hes dealt with by opal technical support. They are different.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - corax
>> After yonks have given the Belkin to the dogs to eat. Absolute carp. Installed a
>> Lynksys or whatever and performance is sooo much better.

We've had two Belkin wireless G routers, the first one failed after a year, the second one started to work erratically to the point where it needed rebooting everyday. Have now got a Draytek, a bit more expensive but rock solid performance and much faster. Only been installed for the last three weeks but so far so good.
I'm not that worried about issues with the Belkin router now I know how to keep an eye on it.... but it will get the chop if this keeps happening. It's still getting speeds of 1.91MB+ so at least it hasn't tailed off quickly.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - madf
My Belkin router (cable) is 8 years old.
A result on ping test.. NTL/Virgin
Oh well the issues came back... not speed but connection dropping at random then complete failure. ISP helpline (thankfully very helpful on two calls) couldn't 100% pin it down but thought BT line, house phone system or router. Bought a new Netgear router plus ADSL cable and after a few minutes setting up all is OK.

What a nightmare being offline for two whole days just before Christmas with banking, Christmas mails, travel info and so on all out of reach at home.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - sherlock47
I just had an outage of 27 hrs - the first in about 10 years. Help desk, (guess where?), interpreted my reply (to their question of 'where in UK are you?'), of 'just north of London', as though I was in Manchester!. The 0161 area was suffering problems at the time!

Offline was like having a life support system disconnected :(
Just for the record.... even the new router and cable didn't last that long before losing broadband. This time found that when the fault existed every time it could be resolved by taking the router to our main BT socket and plugging it in there.... sadly a position 5m and three rooms away from the PC desk.

Far too much hassle to do a rewire before Christmas so bought a USB dongle and converted the PC to wi-fi leaving the router plugged into the main phone socket.

No drop in speed and also I see the line attenuation figure has improved a bit so all's well... dare I say... for now.

I wonder if a DIY 5m ADSL extension is a bit too long for reliable broadband??

Thankfully got it back on in time to snatch a few items from the Next VIP online sale.
You any good with BT home wiring FL?

You need to check the type of master you have, You need the type with the bottom face plate that comes off. and you need to get that wiring changed from there to your extensions.

What part of the fens are you in?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 22:43
>>I wonder if a DIY 5m ADSL extension is a bit too long for reliable broadband??>>

I use a Linskys 10m ADSL cable, which runs under the carpets to my front room from my Master Socket to my modem router, with just under half of it coiled up neatly under the desk.

I didn't think a five metre cable would be quite long enough to reach my modem router from the Master Socket when I bought the cable nearly five years ago because of the twists and turns involved, but the longer cable hasn't affected broadband performance as far as I'm aware.

I get a 14Mb average connection speed, which is more than sufficient for my needs.

Slow broadband/internet performance? - RattleandSmoke
I find the extension leads you get from Argos (my favourite shop) and similar are hopeless with broadband unless you have a strong gain on the line. However if you buy proper telephone cable and wire into the main BT box it is reliable. I wired my own extension from scratch with about 12 metres of cable and I get 7.5mbps out of a possible 8.

Slow broadband/internet performance? - Netsur
I have come the conclusion that a good wireless router is enough for home use.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - rtj70
It all depends on how fast your Internet connection is. But with Wireless N it should be okay.

With the discussion on extensions for ADSL, BT install CAT5 cable from the master socket to wherever the VDSL modem is for their Infinity broadband product. Phone cable is not deemed good enough. They will also run this cable on the outside of the house if you wish or route it internally. All part of the install.

I think if I had a distance from computers to the master socket then I'd try to avoid running a long cable - I'd consider homeplug Ethernet over power adapters. In fact that is what I thought I'd have to do with BT installing my router in the hall - I have a wired NAS so that would need connecting somehow.
>>and I get 7.5mbps out of a possible 8.>>

That's probably better than you might expect as no one gets the full 8Mb on an "Up to 8Mb" service...:-)

Also I think that Fenlander is referring to standalone ADSL cables with (RJ11?) plugs rather than a telephone line extension.

By the way, a friendly OpenReach engineer fitted a filtered faceplate to my Master Socket earlier this year which has the bonus of being able to throw away all those dodgy ADSL splitters/filters, as they are not required for extension sockets, Sky boxes etc.

Even an expensive "state of the art" ADSL splitter/filter used on the Master Socket eventually went the way of the cheap ones (it leads to lower connection speeds and is not an obvious cause for many people).
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - John H
>> Even an expensive "state of the art" ADSL splitter/filter used on the Master Socket eventually
>> went the way of the cheap ones (it leads to lower connection speeds and is
>> not an obvious cause for many people).
>>

How do these filters affect broadband connection speeds?

>>How do these filters affect broadband connection speeds?>>

The quality of the circuit design and components used can make quite a difference.

See: www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitters.htm

The first time I had this problem I spent hours trying to find out why my connection speeds had dropped by about a third. Eventually I tried a new ADSL splitter and the status quo was restored.

The worse type seem to be the T-filter models - bandwidth loss on these can prove most unwelcome...:-(

Having a filtered faceplate fitted to the Master Socket, as mentioned earlier in the thread, proved the ultimate solution. Solwise sells them for about a tenner.

I've also found that routers' ability to maintain a good level of bandwidth varies. In fact I've had three new ones this year for various reason and each one (the latest available) has provided superior bandwidth figures.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 16:14
>> The quality of the circuit design and components used can make quite a difference.
>>
>> See: www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitters.htm
>>

ADSL filters do NOT filter the ADSL signal. It is passed straight through.

You are either being pedantic or splitting hairs. One has to be split from the other, otherwise you have/may have land line problems.
I am not splitting hairs. I am merely saying you dont need to split the router, only the phones.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 16:33
>> I wonder if a DIY 5m ADSL extension is a bit too long for reliable broadband??

How about leaving the router where it works best and running an ethernet cable the 5 metres or so to the PC?
>> I wonder if a DIY 5m ADSL extension is a bit too long for reliable
>> broadband??
>>

How far are you from the exchange?

Say you are 1000m far, then 5m is an additional 0.5% added to the distance.
>> >> How far are you from the exchange?

>>Fri 10 Dec 10 21:23 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Fenlander

>>As a matter of interest we are 1.3mls from the exchange with only a dozen houses on the
>>way.... a mile further on the downside of us there are 200-300 houses on the same exchange/line.

Overhead damp string, not bunched drainpipes - over whatever is underground in the Fens.

It is more complicated than that though, the main cable which comes to the house dosn't have that much resistance but the cheap qualility cable often used on extensions does.

Also every junction is also a major weakness.

It is always better to avoid if is posible.
>> It is more complicated than that though, the main cable which comes to the house
>> dosn't have that much resistance but the cheap qualility cable often used on extensions does.
>>
Really? Do some calculations and post the figures.

>> Also every junction is also a major weakness.
>>
So how does he avoid another junction in the house?

>> It is always better to avoid if is posible.
>>
So how does he avoid another junction in the house?

Rattle - have you had a beer or three again?
Simply by putting the router as close to the master socket in the house and then using RJ45 cables from there.

Ethernet has error checking and also is designed to avoid radio inteference unlike telephone cables. Telephone cables were not designed to carry high speed data unlike cat5/6 cables.

I have the following setup

10m cable telephone cable (not ideal) to the router then from there it is all RJ45s. An RJ45 then goes to another router in bedroom which acts as a local WIFI point for upstairs.

I then use wireless bridges where it is not practical to use an ethernet cable.

It is over complicated but it works perfectly. If I had the main rotuer upstairs then I would not get anything like 7.5mbps. I install domestic routers all the time and have seen dramatic differences in speed when they are connected to an internal extension.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 16:03
>> then I would not get anything like 7.5mbps. I install domestic routers all the time
>> and have seen dramatic differences in speed when they are connected to an internal extension.
>>

Fenlander never mentioned adding an internal telephone extension. He said "adsl extension". he already has a telephone extension which he said he has disconnected from, and has now connected his router to the master socket from where he is using the wireless signal.

Ratto, your reply seems based on imagined or anecdotal evidence regarding speed losses. Where are your calculations for the real speed losses? How much due to each junction added, and how much per metre of "telephone cable" as compared to "RJ45" cable?
Last edited by: John H on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 16:19
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - Tooslow
When I had my broadband from BT it was diabolical. It would go really slow or just be completely awol. 30 minutes later it would be fine. So it looked like them, not me as nothing was changing in the house in those 30 mins. Of course BT blamed my wiring. I wasn't very happy about the idea of ripping up floorboards, channeling cables into walls and so forth (I don't think Homeplug was available then) so;

I plugged the router into the master socket, the one behind the faceplate. The stats and performance were the same as plugged into the extension upstairs.

I ran an simple phone extension across the hall, up the stairs (H&S- phah!) and connected the router to that. Still no change.

So I came to the conclusion that my router works just as well upstairs, hanging off an extension, as it does anywhere else and that BT were talking round things. I had already made sure the bell wire and any other unnecessary connections were removed. This did provide a benefit.

But it may be different for you.
John
Appreciate the continued thoughts.

Yep I'm pretty good at wiring Zero but perhaps not to the defgree of understanding that is needed for a broadband system. Once instructed though I can do the work OK.

We have the BT master socket in an upstairs bedroom. It is the type with the bottom half faceplate that comes off after two screws are removed... in a weird way it unplugs from the backplate/box. There are no extensions wired into the back of this master socket.

The sole extension cable (fitted by me) is a piggy-back plug in the front of the master socket with a lead that drops away (*more of this in a moment). In the back of the piggy back socket a Panasonic phone base station is plugged in. It suits us to have this upstairs as the reception to the handset seems better in our large garden.

*The extension cable soon disapears behind stud walling and then into the bedroom floor where after a couple of meters it is split at a junction box (DIY shop thing). One line goes off about 6m to a phone socket in another bedroom where there is a plug in splitter and one ordinary phone connected. Its ADSL socket is unused.

The second line from this junction box goes downstairs about 5m to a wall socket that is itself a phone/ADSL socket (from B& Q) and is the one the router was plugged into when we had the trouble. We have never used the phone socket part of this one.

So in my first posts I had forgotten this ADSL extension as I called it was teed off from another phone extension at a screw terminal splitter box which is under carpeted floors and can't be checked.

I am 100% happy with the Netgear wireless setup we've just added for the main PC but would be interested to know if the split cable arrangement might have been a factor in our unreliable broadband?

Its not good practise to "Y" connect phone lines, but it should work.

Now I have it in my mind that you have a BT master plug, with a piggy back into it, with a wireless phone plugged into that, and you have a router plugged in as well? how? three things plugged into one socket?

Personally I wouldn't have the router and wireless phone in the same room, secondly there will be times when you may need to do things to the router using the wired connection, not wireless.

>> We have the BT master socket in an upstairs bedroom. It is the type with
>> the bottom half faceplate that comes off after two screws are removed... in a weird
>> way it unplugs from the backplate/box. There are no extensions wired into the back of
>> this master socket.
>>

It seems you have a "NTE5" socket.
see bottom half of this page www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

You could DIY fit ADSL-NTEFACE-ATL (dearer) or ADSL-NTEFACE-SOL (cheaper).
see top half of page on previous link.

As Tooslow says, you could also make sure your bell-wire has been disconnected.
www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html
www.robertos.me.uk/html/ring_bell_wire.html

or get free (or buy) from BT one of these BT iPlate (also called a Broadband Accelerator).

or get BT Openreach to fit "BT Openreach logo’ed NTE5A".
Last edited by: John H on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 19:56

>> or get free (or buy) from BT one of these BT iPlate (also called a
>> Broadband Accelerator).
>>

Solwise also sell the iPlate - ADSL-IPLATE
see middle of www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

Slow broadband/internet performance? - rtj70
>> We have the BT master socket in an upstairs bedroom

Is this the point the phone line enters the house? If not then it is not a master socket. How it looks does not make it the master socket. The master socket is the point where the phone line enters the property.

Just checking - it sounds like it is a master socket. So put the router here and run an Ethernet cable to the office. Or just use WiFi depending on speed of line vs. wifi version in use.

But it sounds like you're plugging the ADSL router into an extension off an extension of the phone line. Likely to be a big part of the problem.

I've mentioned on here before how star wiring can affect xDSL speeds.
 Slow broadband/internet performance? - spamcan61
A couple of weeks back I reconfigured the Spamcan Towers IT infrastructure to remove all the extension phone wiring - more an X than a T configuration - and now have the modem plugged into the master socket via a few feet of RJ45 cable.

This seems to have improved the peak download speed from around 4.5 - 5Mbs to 6.5Mbs.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 24 Dec 10 at 20:20
OK I've checked and it is a NTE5 master socket I have. Also this socket is the master one for sure as the phone wires from the BT pole come into the back of it.

Yes it is all piggy backed... the master socket has the extension piggy back plug in it... a splitter filter is plugged in the piggy back plug and the cordless phone plugged into the phone part of the splitter/filter.

The router when downstairs was on the end of cable that comes out of the bottom of the piggy back plug... when upstairs as now (with the PC on wifi) the router is plugged into the adsl socket of the splitter/filter.

Note I now see I have some extension wiring (not sure where it goes... perhaps I'm mistaken how it all runs hidden in the walls/floors) in the back of the NTE5 on the faceplate terminals. It has all 4 wires connected inc the bell wire and the spare one... seems the latter 2 are not needed according to the info links in above posts???

So.... it can only improve things to...

Snip the bell and spare wires off... or fit a BT Iplate... or fit splitter front to the NTE5 and run the adsl line from the dedicated outlet???
Firstly, Happy Christmas.

Secondly, I wouldn't do anything with it today (I never do any project work when the shops are shut, as there is no way of getting things you need "unexpectedly").
>> Yes it is all piggy backed... the master socket has the extension piggy back plug
>> in it... a splitter filter is plugged in the piggy back plug and the cordless
>> phone plugged into the phone part of the splitter/filter.

Oh dear. Apart from sticking out about 3 yards into the room, that too many connections.

If it were me?

I wouldn't have the phone and wireless router in the same room, too many radio waves in the same place

I would hardwire the extension(s) into the back of the master socket (not BT "legal" but hey ho) - loop out to another adjacent socket (if you must have the cordless phone in the same room) and then loop out to feed the rest of the house, no Y's or Stars, just socket to socket.

Thats what I would do.

And now I will bow out and let the others argue about it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 25 Dec 10 at 09:15
>> So.... it can only improve things to...
>>
>> Snip the bell and spare wires off... or fit a BT Iplate... or fit splitter
>> front to the NTE5 and run the adsl line from the dedicated outlet???
>>

1. "Snip" or disconnect the bell wire. this will at a stroke remove all the complex bell-wiring in your house acting as long aerials.
2. Fit ADSL-NTEFACE to the NTE5.
3. Take your ADSL line from there, this is the unfiltered raw signal.
4. Take all telephone connections/extensions from the filtered phone side of the splitter faceplate. That removes the need for any filters/splitters anywhere else.

suppliers other than Solwise include:
www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm (has a plain English guide)
www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
Many thanks for the Christmas Day thoughts... I'm taking a combination of advice.

First I've decided that it will suit us to have the cordless phone base station in a different room from the master socket so that will be away from the router to prevent any possible interference. Second I'm going to remove the bell and unwanted 4th wire from the master socket to stop that possible aerial interference effect.

They seem like good jobs for when I tire of Cluedo with the visitors later on.

I'm leaving the main PC on wi-fi for now as that seems to be working well

I'll take your advice too John H... nothing irreversible to be done while the shops are shut. When they are open though I think I'll get one of those fronts for my NTE5 that gives a seperate ADSL/phone sockets. If I do decide to return the PC to hard wiring I can then do it with a dedicated ADSL cable.
 Hope for slow BB punters - Falkirk Bairn
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12065466

Satellite based system newly launched - undoubtedly it will not be cheap but if you are getting only 500K instead of megabits then it might be worth it.

Hope for slow BB punters - Zero
This has been available before. Satelite is downlink only, with a landline for uplink. Problems of syncing abound. YOu need to be desperate to use this.
Latest Forum Posts