Computer Related > Re-using Windows 7 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 16

Re-using Windows 7 - smokie
I have (at least!!) two computers. One had legitimate XP which I upgraded last year with a legitimate Windows 7 32 bit upgrade, the other has Vista.

I've now upgraded that machine (using a legitimate upgrade, although it had to be done as a clean install) to 64 bit.

Can I re-use the 32 bit upgrade on the Vista machine, will it authenticate OK?
 Re-using Windows 7 - John H
>> Can I re-use the 32 bit upgrade on the Vista machine, will it authenticate OK?
>>

If your question is about the legal issues, then the answer is in the EULA. Assuming your licence is not for a "family pack", the simple legal interpretation is: one licence per computer.

If you uninstall from the first PC and reintstall on teh second PC, your online activation may or may not go through. If it fails online because their system believes that the product key is already in use, you then have to use the telephone method to activate, and explain the situation and you should be given an activation code. see
support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

If on the other hand if the question was about technical issues of going from a 64 bit Vista to 32 bit Win 7, see the third notes:

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
"Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista but you plan to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7, you can move your files to an external location manually or use Backup and Restore in Windows Vista."

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions
"If you're currently running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista and want to install a 64-bit version of Windows 7, you'll need to perform a custom installation. Also, if you're currently running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista and want to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7 (less common), you'll need to perform a custom installation. For detailed instructions on performing a custom installation, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom installation)."
 Re-using Windows 7 - rtj70
IF I understand correctly, you used the new media for Windows 7 to upgrade an existing Windows 7 installation to 64 bit. If youused the original license for this machine then you can use the upgrade on another machine. If you used the new license on the machine then it cannot really be used on ther old one. Although I guess you would be allowed to move that to the other machine but you're likely to need to phone up to activate it.
>> IF I understand correctly, you used the new media for Windows 7 to upgrade an
>> existing Windows 7 installation to 64 bit.
>>

Where does he say that?
All I see is upgrades from XP and Vista, not from Win7.
 Re-using Windows 7 - RichardW
>Where does he say that?

One machine XP to W732 to W764; releasing copy of W732 now not installed anywhere.

Other machine Vista. Q is can Vista machine be upgraded using the W732 that has previously been installed on other machine.

AIUI!

>> One machine XP to W732 to W764; releasing copy of W732 now not installed anywhere.
>>
>> Other machine Vista. Q is can Vista machine be upgraded using the W732 that has
>> previously been installed on other machine.

Thanks Richard, I had missed that.

In which case, it is perfectly legit to do what Smokie is proposing, and if it fails to authenticate online he can use the telephone method.
He will need to do custom install to go from V-64 to W7-32.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 14:10
 Re-using Windows 7 - Zero
The Windows 32/64 bit retail license is for one copy of either 32 bit or 64 bit. Not both.

However

I built someone a new computer, and took their 32/64 bit copy of windows to put on the new one. The old one was loaded with the 32 bit, and we built the new one with 64 bit.

There was never any intention to deceive, the old one would be put aside and not used.

The new 64 bit authenticated OK, and the old 32 bit still updates perfectly well.
Machine 1 - Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit - new license, releasing old licence
Machine 2 - Vista 32 bit to Win 7 32 bit using released licence

I am going to take the above advice which is that it's OK.

btw I just found XP Mode in Win 7 - that is blinding, as I have one or two old non-essential apps which I cannot or will not get upgrades for and which didn't work under Win 7 (but compatibility mode helped some).
 Re-using Windows 7 - Stuartli
>>btw I just found XP Mode in Win 7>>

Windows has always had compatibility mode over the last decade or so.

Windows7 should indicate whether it can handle previous applications or utilities when you seek to install them - it's very clever (and quick) at spotting any potential changes in use.
>> >>btw I just found XP Mode in Win 7>>
>>
>> Windows has always had compatibility mode over the last decade or so.

Its not compatibility mode tho, it is in effect an XP VM.
...and it hibernates automatically when you close it. As my main drives are SSD it is really quick to load and close. It really is very good, I can have a complete 32 bit XP computer but virtual, it can access all resources which my computer can access, and without as much faffing about as creating your own virtual PC. Can't at the moment find Virtual PC to run alongside it, which I want to get as I might be doing some the training which will require different virtual servers running. Haven't looked yet though, having too much fun :-) Ah, the joys of being unemployed....
 Re-using Windows 7 - Stuartli
>>.....and it hibernates automatically when you close it.>>

Do you mean Windows7?

I've set Windows7 to Hibernate when the case's power button is pressed and do a full Shut Down from Start>Shut Down menu.
No, the XP virtual machine. So it starts as quick and easily as running a program - for that is what you do.
XP Mode is using Virtual PC (or the technology behind it) and is not as good as VMWARE.

Don't forget that XP Mode is a full blown running copy of XP which means it needs AV, software updates, etc. applying. All XP Mode really provides is the licence to do this and you didn't have to mess with creating the VM as such.*

VMWARE is much better so Smokie could do what he's wanting to do for training with that. And the Unity feature means you can have seamless Windows XP apps on the Windows 7 desktop. Or a Mac if you're running VMWARE Fusion ;-)

* I've only configured XP Mode once and that was on my last work laptop - not done it on the new one as I use VMWARE. I probably won't install XP Mode this time.

P.S. Starting up VMs on my new laptop from them being suspended is very quick. Much quicker than the old laptop. I've had 3 x Windows 2003 servers resume in seconds. It's either 64-bit Windows alone or a combination of that and the 8Gb RAM.
Doesn't VMware come at a price though?
I wouldnt consider running a Win7 XP VM for anything commercial or mission critical, but for a sandbox its perfect.
>> Doesn't VMware come at a price though?

Yes and on Windows it's a fairly high price. On the Mac (Fusion) it's better value. Try the free 30 day demo of VMWARE 7 though. Fully functional. Depends on what you're trying to do. Virtual PC is free though but does not do virtual networks, simulating slow network links, lossy connections etc.

VMWARE 7.1 is $189... the slightly less functional (no virtual networks for one) Fusion on the Mac is $50 after rebate.

Edit: VMWARE Server is free though.... doesn't do all workstation does but aimed at different needs. Workstation allows you to model a real environment including the network connections (and their speeds/errors).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 23:49
Latest Forum Posts