Computer Related > Sending faxes online Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 12

Sending faxes online - SteelSpark
I am trying to find a tool or online service that I can use to send and receive faxes over the internet.

I am going to use it to send and receive financial paperwork, so I would like a service that is fairly reputable. It would be good if it was free though, because I only need it for a couple of days.

Just wondered if anybody could advise of a good tool/service to use, please.

I use Windows XP.
 Sending faxes online - Iffy
There is a utility in Skype called PamFax.

I've not got Skype loaded on the Mac, but if you have, it's easy enough to find.

I used PamFax a few times a few years ago and it did the job OK.
>> There is a utility in Skype called PamFax.

Thanks iffy. I can't find it in Skype, but it looks like it is a 3rd party "plug-in" that needs installing

www.pamfax.biz/en/

only thing is that it isn't free (well past the first 3 pages), but is certainly one that I will consider

thanks again
 Sending faxes online - CGNorwich
Isn't there a fax module on XP? Am an now Apple user but I seem to remember that there is such a beast. it may need to be installed - Try looking under "Add programs"
 Sending faxes online - CGNorwich
Further to my post just found this

www.windows-help-central.com/fax-software-for-windows-xp.html

Sending faxes online - Zero
Do you really need to send faxes?

PDF documents have largely made faxes redundant.
>> Do you really need to send faxes?
>>
>> PDF documents have largely made faxes redundant.

I think that my bank will only accept faxes (or letters of course) but not emailed attachments.

Thanks for the idea though Zero, it would definitely be worth be double checking with the bank. It is just hard to get in touch with the guy I am meant to be faxing - probably in meetings to approve big Xmas bonuses :)
 Sending faxes online - rtj70
>> Isn't there a fax module on XP

That would need a modem. The question is about an online service. I've used PamFax to send some faxes. I also have a fax number (which emails) me for free with eFax. It would cost to send via eFax.

I used to usually use the modem on my work laptop.... the new one doesn't have a modem though.
 Sending faxes online - smokie
"That would need a modem. " Many multi function printers have fax built in - don't need anything on the computer - I have an old HP 6300 which seems to manage faxing really well, on the infrequent times I need to do it.
 Sending faxes online - Zero
So how does it connect to the fax machine on the PSTN?
 Sending faxes online - smokie
"So how does it connect to the fax machine on the PSTN?" - via a phone cable directly to your socket. Guess that's not what's required here... didn't think that one through!
 Sending faxes online - Stuartli
As hopefully has been made clear, you cannot send faxes using broadband, only a landline (dial-up) and a fax modem.

This might help:

www.freefaxtoemail.net/Prices.aspx

In the early days of Windows (95? and certainly 98 and 98SE), Microsoft had the Messages utility; this allowed the sending and receiving of faxes using a folders layout that was virtually the same as Outlook Express, making it simple to understand and use.
 Sending faxes online - rtj70
If the fax/letter is the only thing they will accept (it's a bank) then it's because they don't legally accept emails. At some point digitally signed emails will probably be accepted though.

PamFax is not free to send and neither is eFax. eFax has kept my number going foe years now. and I've paid them nothing myself.
Latest Forum Posts