Computer Related > Spotify Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 20

Spotify - Redviper
Hi
Has anyone used the above music service? is it any good?
I thought about giving it ago, as I heard it mentioned by ne of my mates but I dont want to download anything nasty to my laptop

Many Thanks
 Spotify - RattleandSmoke
It is perfectly safe and legal. I t is free but you get some adds. I pay £10 for a month for it and for that I don't get adds and I get 320kbps bit rate which very important for me. Also for the £10 a month you can use it with your mobile phone.

Spotify - Ambo
It has a huge store of music, some of which I dredged up from decades ago. It is well worth having but there may be a waiting list of several weeks for the free service.
 Spotify - corax
>> It is perfectly safe and legal. I t is free but you get some adds.
>> I pay £10 for a month for it and for that I don't get adds
>> and I get 320kbps bit rate which very important for me.

Rattle - I searched for 'second skin' by the chameleons on the free version and could only get an instrumental version. Do you get more choice for £10 a month?
 Spotify - RattleandSmoke
I will check when I switch the desktop on later. I know most the Chameleons stuff is on there.

Not everything is on there due to restrictions with record companies.
 Spotify - Iffy
...I searched for 'second skin' by the chameleons...

The song played OK on jango.

About six and half minutes long with lyrics.

Typical Manc rock - this mob sound more like Joy Division than Joy Division.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 13:45
 Spotify - RattleandSmoke
Indeed was just a bit after Joy Division but before New Order made it big. To me they sound a bit more like Echo and the Bunneymen which are a scouse band but popular in 'manc' clubs.

The emberassing thing about that band is Swamp Thing, too many drunken nights dancing with 40 year old goth ladies to that song!
 Spotify - RattleandSmoke
It is on there but it is instrunmental but it does have vocals is that the one you found?
 Spotify - corax
>> It is on there but it is instrunmental but it does have vocals is that
>> the one you found?

Yes, thats the one, I prefer the album version - I found it on Jango. I would have thought that Spotify would have all versions.

Going to try some Cocteau Twins now. Cherry coloured Funk to be precise :-)
Last edited by: corax on Sun 19 Dec 10 at 18:02
 Spotify - Focusless
There's also this, which doesn't require a player download (so works in linux for example):
www.we7.com/
 Spotify - Redviper
Many Thanks Guys Ill use the fre service for now and see how I get on.

Being a Yorkshireman I dont really want to pay for it if I can help it ;-)
 Spotify - CGNorwich
One of the best "free" things on the web. Virtually every track you can think of then a 1000 times more. Thinking of going over to the £4.99 a month deal as the ads can get a bit irritating

Let's hope that the Spotify business model actually works in the end . They are making a loss at the moment
 Spotify - rtj70
The original free service had no limits but the new one (I think) restricts how much you listen to. Presumably hoping to force you onto the paid for service.

I've found Spotify good except I've got most of the music I want. But I should use this to find stuff I'd like.
 Spotify - CGNorwich
The original free service had no limits but the new one (I think) restricts how much you listen to

When I signed up earlier in the year it was 20 hours per month but they have dropped that now and its unlimited - competition with WE7 i guess
 Spotify - Iffy
Since getting the Mac, which has better speakers, I've used jango.

It plays one song after the other with no adverts.

Not sure how it works, but there's no charge.

Spotify - DP
I downloaded the Spotify app for Android a week or so ago, and then on first use, discovered that you need to pay Spotify £10 a month to use mobile functionality.
Not ruling it out, but I don't know anyone who uses it and therefore if it's actually value for money. Do you get unlimited downloads for this money? Can you cancel at any time?
 Spotify - ToMoCo
One of my work mates use it and recommends it. As far as I can tell it's unlimited, but if you stop paying you don't get to keep, as you are basicaly renting the music?

Have I got this right?
 Spotify - Tooslow
The Yorkshireman in me says £120 pa to listen to the radio. No thanks!
John
 Spotify - RattleandSmoke
It works well, bit rate is 160bkps from what I can work out.

You can store 3000 songs offline on your mobile and you can download as much as you want providing it is on spotify. The idea with spotify on your mobile is you can sync upto 3000 songs offline so you don't need to use 3g internet. You sync them via wifi.

I pay £10 for a month for three reasons:-

1) I get no adds
2) 320kbps bit rate on the PC, bit rate is extremely important to me, no point on playing 128kbps MP3s through a £100 sound card and £1000 HIFI setup!
3) The fact I can use it on my mobile.

£120 a year is not a lot when you think you are getting a high quality music source and most tracks are on there,

You can cancel and renew at anytime too, if I am having a hard up month I often cancel it for that month and renew the next.

The way i see it for cost of three pints you're getting a massive supply of music.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 22 Dec 10 at 13:41
 Spotify - Crankcase
And of course Spotify has these gems.

thebestoftheworstofspotify.blogspot.com/

Spotify - Focusless
Spotify has just gone up a few notches in my estimation - it's got Burl Ives' 'Across the seven seas', a collection of traditional sea shanties. They're not my usual cup of tea, but it's an album my dad used to play a lot when I was a kid (although his LP was titled 'Down to the sea in ships').

I've never been able to find it in digital form (including CD), but it's there on Spotify; it was a really nice surprise to see it there. It's made my day.

I know other people's music suggestions are always rubbish, so I'm not going to suggest you listen to it :)
Latest Forum Posts