Computer Related > Can't download AVG. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 41

Can't download AVG. - -
Be gentle with me i'm about as much use with a computer as a cow with a gun.

I have AVG's free 8.5 version which is going to expire very soon.

I click on the download now button for the free version and the pop up window only gives me the option to save the (binary) file...when i click save nothing happens.

Something probably needs turning on to allow the file to run i suppose, i'm running Firefox which has been good.

Any suggestions please and make them easy to understand for a computer numpty..;)
 Can't download AVG. - Zero
Ok this is my advice.

Go to control panel/ add remove programes/ and delete AVG.

Go to www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

and install that instead.
 Can't download AVG. - VxFan
>> Go to control panel/ add remove programes/ and delete AVG.

If it's anything like the latest version of AVG then deleting it is easier said than done. It's like trying to get rid of Norton or AOL software.

I've had issue with the latest AVG version where after approx 3 weeks it no longer updates. I have to "uninstall" it and reinstall again. I noticed when I had uninstalled it, the icon was still in the tool bar, and I could still launch the software, albeit only some of the basic functions of AVG were still there.

In short, best of luck trying to get rid of AVG. I shall have another go if in 3 weeks time it no longer updates again.
 Can't download AVG. - smokie
"Go to www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx

and install that instead."

+1
 Can't download AVG. - Ambo
Scrap it and install Avast instead. According to the expert who intstalled my computer it is superior.
 Can't download AVG. - Crankcase
To answer the OP's question:

In Firefox, go to Tools > Downloads and double click the file you downloaded to run it, is one way.

Can't download AVG. - MD
The latest avg has caused mega probs for many, but now seems to be cured. TBH I forget (or never knew) how my man did it, but it was a pain. It also slowed things down measurably.

Erin doors has just said that the new one had to be uninstalled and reinstalled then it was fine, but has also commented that her machine has slowed down again today. Who knows.
 Can't download AVG. - -
Thankyou lads, i've tried Crankcase's suggestion but there's nothing in Downloads, when i put keywords the the Search box it only allows me to close the box not search.

May try removing and reinstalling AVG as per Mart's good lady.

Might be heading for one of the other suggestions yet...the Microsoft security essentials that Z and Smokie suggested is that reasonably user friendly for a numbskull?

Assuming said numbskull can get rid of AVG, had to get my 'puter chappy to get shot of Norton previously.
 Can't download AVG. - spamcan61
>>
>> Might be heading for one of the other suggestions yet...the Microsoft security essentials that Z
>> and Smokie suggested is that reasonably user friendly for a numbskull?
>>
>> Assuming said numbskull can get rid of AVG, had to get my 'puter chappy to
>> get shot of Norton previously.
>>

Another vote for MSE from me, AVG has become a bloated, complicated mess; without wishing to sound patronising MSE is designed for computer numpties.
 Can't download AVG. - John H
Go with Zero's and Smokie's suggestion.

AVG had caused a big headache for many users recently.

www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/02/avg_auto_immune_update/
"Horror AVG update ballsup bricks Windows 7"

forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=132305&type=0
"AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop"

uninstall AVG : www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallavg.shtml
 Can't download AVG. - Iffy
Buy a Mac, they don't suffer from viruses.

(The second part was a joke, although gb might like to know there is no messing about with anti-virus software on Macs.)

Can't download AVG. - rtj70
>> Buy a Mac, they don't suffer from viruses.

Not as much because there aren't as many. But more fool a Mac owner for assuming viruses etc are not possible on MacOSX. In fact there are some security decisions made by Apple which means Windows 7 is much more secure. But Windows is targeted more.

Sophos do a free anti-virus program for the Mac now. As Mac's get more popular we will start seeing more viruses.
 Can't download AVG. - -
Righto lads AVG gorn.

Tried to download the MSE as recommended by at least 3 of you..guess what...yep it only want to save the file....aarrggh.

Edit..Thanks Iffy, when the PC eventually dies i will probably get a Mac, but whilst it's still running no point in shelling out.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 20 Dec 10 at 11:56
what browser you using?
 Can't download AVG. - -
>> what browser you using?
>>

Firefox which hasn't been a problem...i have no reason to assume it is now, it's probably something i've done as usual.

Edit...good luck SC hope it doesn't cause you probs too.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 20 Dec 10 at 12:04
 Can't download AVG. - Tooslow
"it's probably something i've done as usual."

I'm going for a lie down. In all my years in IT the answer was always "I haven't changed anything, honest".

John
 Can't download AVG. - -
In all my years in IT the answer was
>> always "I haven't changed anything, honest".

I'ver always tried to be honest John (ooer hope he doesn't think i'm the doppelganger.;), probably why i'm still piloting a truck at my time of life..;)
 Can't download AVG. - Focusless
>> Firefox which hasn't been a problem...

Try IE just to see if it's any different?
yup try IE
>> Try IE just to see if it's any different?

(only suggesting that rather than Chrome/Opera etc. because presumably it's already installed)
Well he probably cant download another.....
>> Well he probably cant download another.....

good point :)
Part of the Spamcan towers IT infrastucture ( a collection of crappy old PCs) is still running AVG, so I'll have a go at swapping over to MSE now and see what happens.
Ok I've had a quick play.

Machine is running XP Home SP3, I downloaded FF 3.6 first to get as close as possible to OP's situation.

1) removed AVG 2010 using the instructions on the pchell link above - a bit of a faff in itself.

2) downloaded MSE from here, selecting XP 32 bit in my case:-

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

3) hit the 'save file' option, which downloaded a 7.5MB file called 'mseinstall.exe' to my PC.

4) double clicked this file in the FF 'downloads' pop-up window; if it isn't visible go to 'tools' and select 'downloads' in FF.

5) follow prompts to install MSE.

6) MSE will then go at get latest virus definitions, this will take a few minutes.

Seems to be working OK.

Can't download AVG. - -
Thanks Spam and all you other lads.

Points 3 and 4 don't do the business with this one, had exactly the same save file (no run) message and nothing in downloads either.

As suggested found IE was still installed so went via the MSE link and it's downloaded fine and up and running.

Much obliged for the help chaps...should we meet up it's my round.
Right

Now, uninstall your copy of Firefox (export your bookmarks) and using IE to download it, install it again. It sounds to me like your firefox is not healthy and wont download stuff.
 Can't download AVG. - -
How do i export bookmarks Z, it won't hurt to try this anyway.

I download tunes with no problem from a Russian site i use but AVG has been a problem before.
NOt a firefox user, Chrome and IE here, one of the other guys will advise.
 Can't download AVG. - -
Righto Z, much obliged for your help so far.
When you install FF it asks whether you want to import bookmarks / favourites etc. from IE.
His bookmarks are not in IE, they are in Firefox. He will need to export them to IE.
 Can't download AVG. - Statistical Outlier
I'm a recent convert to XMarks. Means that you can use whatever browser you feel like at the time, and across multiple computers. Very handy.

www.xmarks.com
 Can't download AVG. - Iffy
...one of the other guys will advise...

Well, ahem, here goes....

Click on 'bookmarks' in the menu at the top of Firefox, then from that menu 'organise bookmarks'.

This brings up a smaller box called 'library'.

At the top of that box, there are three or four buttons which, confusingly, just have symbols on them.

The far right button should bring up a menu 'back up, restore, import html, export html'.

Click 'export html' which will create a desktop file of your bookmarks.

When you've downloaded your new Firefox, open the same box in the new browser and click on 'import html', and import the file you've just exported from the old browser.

I think the above should work, but even if it doesn't, I don't think it will do any damage to your existing browser/bookmarks, so you'll be no worse off.
www.ehow.com/how_1000389_export-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarks.html
 Can't download AVG. - -
Thanks lads, we've got to clear orf for a while and i'll have a poke about when we get back...ttfn.
 Can't download AVG. - Arctophile
By the way, for those using MSE there is a new version available.
Discussed here:-

www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/20/ms_freebie_scanner/
>> By the way, for those using MSE there is a new version available.
>> Discussed here:-
>>
>> www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/20/ms_freebie_scanner/

Cant seem to find it for download.

>> Cant seem to find it for download.

The link from The Register eventually takes you here where I downloaded the updated version:-

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

thats still version 1
Well, it updated my version to 2.0.657
So it does. Serves me right for not checking properly.
 Can't download AVG. - John H
Direct link
www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f

en-usamd64mseinstall.exe 9.5MB is the 64bit version for Vista?Win7

en-usx86mseinstall.exe 7.5MB is the 32 bit version for XP/Vista/Win7

Latest Forum Posts