Computer Related > Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 13

Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - Perky Penguin
I have tried this and, by use of the appropriate lead, I have managed to get the picture from my laptop to a TV but this lead only transfers the screen picture but not the sound. Does the sound function require a further lead and/or audio connection, please?
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - rtj70
If you are using a VGA lead then yes you'll need to plug in a 3.5mm audio lead between laptop and audio-in on TV. If you're using HDMI that carries sound as well as picture.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - Perky Penguin
Many MANY thanks! Question opened and closed in 10 Minutes!
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - diddy1234
Just a heads up for future info.

If your TV is less than two years old then it may have a network connection on the back.

So if you are lucky enough to be able to plug the TV into your home network then you can stream media across to the TV.

There are conditions to this however, very few video formats supported.

In order to stream the media to your TV you could try the following :-

1. plug TV into the network and make sure your TV has an ip address.
2. using your pc navigate to the network and browse for the TV (possibly shows up as make and model of TV)
3. Right mouse click on the TV icon and select 'connect' or 'install' ( I can't remember fully).
4. once connected nothing will happen, however you can now use windows media player and add mp3's or Mpeg 2 video files to windows media playlist and stream these to the TV.

Within media player there will be a new option (near the top of windows media player screen) called 'play to'

Selecting this will show the TV you have installed and selecting this will then stream the music / video files to the TV.

I must stress that some TV's will work with more video formats compared to others.
For example my Toshiba Regza TV will only play MP3's and DVD compliant Mpeg 2 video files.
Other formats will not play.

I could see more people connecting like this in the future.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - movilogo
To add further...

If both TV & laptop have HDMI ports, then it is much simpler to connect using HDMI cable.

On connection, you can set up TV as same display as of computer screen or an extra monitor. Then you need to drag window towards right (or left) to make it appear in TV screen.

The TV screen can be configured to have a different (often better) resolution compared to laptop screen.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - R.P.
I was going to say that - unless you set it up otherwise, the TV will think it's a second monitor and you'll need to drag icons across - if it's WIndows you're using you can set it up as a single monitor from "Display" in the Conrol Panel - Apple kindly gave me a lead, cnverts from the Firewire socket on the laptop to a HDMI socket...
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - Iffy
...Apple kindly gave me a lead, cnverts from the Firewire socket on the laptop to a HDMI socket...

A mere £20 buys a lead to convert the MacBook's mini display port to HDMI.

store.apple.com/uk/product/TX175ZM/A
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - R.P.
They cocked up my order so they upspecced my computer an chucked one of them in...
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - Iffy
My MacBook - as yours i imagine - has both a firewire port and Apple's own mini display port.

i wonder why we need both?

To my simple mind they do the same thing, but no doubt I'm not quite right about that.

Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - diddy1234
Firewire was used for camcorder connections and external harddrive.

The wife's camcorder has a firewire connection and the camcorder is almost obselete now.
Try getting a pc with a firewire port (you won't).

Since almost all pc's in the house are laptops I doubt there are any USB to Firewire adapters outthere.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - spamcan61
>> My MacBook - as yours i imagine - has both a firewire port and Apple's
>> own mini display port.
>>
>> i wonder why we need both?
>>
>> To my simple mind they do the same thing, but no doubt I'm not quite
>> right about that.
>>
Presumably the Firewire port can be used for transferring data from camcorders, external HDDs etc. whereas the mini display port just displays stuff.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - rtj70
just to avoid some confusion, but Pugugly will be connecting the laptop using a mini display port to HDMI cable. It won't be Firewire.

Firewire/IEEE 1394 is not used so much now. Camcorders and fast external drives being two uses. Firewire does not have such an advantag over USB2 for the later now and SATA is better.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - spamcan61
>>
>> I could see more people connecting like this in the future.
>>

Maybe...I must admit to at least semi-geek status (I was streaming music from my home PC to my Nokia N73 back in 2006) but getting even audio only streaming working across a variety of devices in the home can be a pain, certainly beyond the average Comet/Currys customer IMHO. Video adds a whole new layer of potential issues, particularly with formats.

For example my daughter's Wii plays back MP3s at double speed if I use it as a UPnP client, for no apparent reason, tried it with two different UPnP servers.
 Getting picture and sound from laptop to TV - Zero
>
>> I must stress that some TV's will work with more video formats compared to others.
>> For example my Toshiba Regza TV will only play MP3's and DVD compliant Mpeg 2
>> video files.
>> Other formats will not play.
>>
>> I could see more people connecting like this in the future.

Much better to PULL your media using the TV to access your DLNA server.
Latest Forum Posts