Computer Related > Vista failiure. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Vista failiure. - R.P.
My hack Gateway laptop computer (on borrowed time) runs on Vista Home Premium (32 bit) - I was prompted the other night to run a Java download which I did. This blew the whole thing - I lost everything off my desktop all the programs disappeared from the start menu - everything. McAfee runs cleanly, Firefox had to be completely re-installed and lost all its bookmarks (although this has subsequently come back), although I'm unsure whether this has re-instated through the excellent XMarks app. Not too worried about this as everything important is backed up elsewhere...

Is there a simple fix. Tried a restore from before the Java download made no difference.
 Vista failiure. - Zero
try an earlier restore than the one you tried.
 Vista failiure. - R.P.
Bizzare thing everything works (Foxit reader program launching etc, this computer never liked Adobe stuff from day one) - it's not much of a problem although I'd like to access documents in a rather less cumbersome way, is there a way these can be re-grouped ?
 Vista failiure. - Tooslow
While the usual Linux conversation goes on, I don't understand " it's not much of a problem although I'd like to access documents in a rather less cumbersome way, is there a way these can be re-grouped ?" You're talking about PDFs? They're only files, keep tham all in one folder? Or does that not answer the qn?

John
 Vista failiure. - spamcan61
failing that I'd try a Windows repair from CD.
 Vista failiure. - Focusless
SWMBO's HP laptop came with Vista, which seemed to regularly need repairing - once or twice a year IIRC. Don't know what caused it - might have been hardware I guess. In the end it got itself into a non-repairable state, so it's now happily running Ubuntu. SWMBO not so happy though...
 Vista failiure. - Bellboy
mm ubunto
i downloaded mint 10 the other night
much more slick than microsoft i feel
borro dead a windows 7? laptop the other day a fairly new one and boy was it slow opening new windows,really couldnt live with that,are they all that slow or was i on a bad unn?
 Vista failiure. - Focusless
>> was i on a bad unn?

How much RAM?
 Vista failiure. - Bellboy
good point
will have a look next time i go over there
 Vista failiure. - RattleandSmoke
Just had to reinstall a Vista machine which had the black screen of death, no amount of registery hacking would cure it.

Vista is quite easy to break.

Windows 7 is normally very slick but it does depend on the RAM, they don't like Atom processors or the very basic Celeron ones.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 5 Jan 11 at 17:26
 Vista failiure. - Zero
Cut down 7 works just fine and dandy with Atom cpu's.
 Vista failiure. - RattleandSmoke
But the idiots called users insist on installing virsues like Norton on dodgy copies of Photoshop and then wonder why it is slow.

Atom is fine for web and email but nothing else in the real world.
 Vista failiure. - rtj70
And my work laptop is pretty fast with Windows 7 now. It is even more responsive with the 8Gb RAM too. It's a i5 mind. It is still responsive when I am running 3 or 4 Windows 2003 virtual machines on it.

BB's borrowed machine is either lacking in RAM, processing power or has something wrong.

Back to PU - are the documents etc. still on there okay? Have you just lost shortcuts from the desktop and start menu?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 5 Jan 11 at 18:43
 Vista failiure. - R.P.
Sorry been out - whilst I was out I let the Lappie restore as Zero suggested and Bingo all is well - apart from this site which I can't access as it throws a Java error. I'll try to figure it out with a brew and the Archers...

Yes I had Rob by the way !
 Vista failiure. - Zero

>> Atom is fine for web and email but nothing else in the real world.

And that is exactly what its designed to do. Long battery life, netbook work. And win7 cut down does that job well.
 Vista failiure. - R.P.
More or less back to normal now - everything works except:-

1. Car4Play on Firefox - reporting a Java problem, site looks all wrong. Site works perfectly well on an old Explorer version on the computer.....every other site looks o.k. al cookies have come back to life.

2. My photos have disappeared - not to worried about this as I can scrape them out of the hard disc by slaving it to my MESH machine.

Very odd - these are the only problems I have experienced with this machine since I got t in 2007 and is in heavy daily use. It's on borrowed time an will replace it with an iPad or another tablet when it goes pop.
Latest Forum Posts