Computer Related > Internet radios...and PCs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 9

Internet radios...and PCs - Mike H
Here's a thought: why won't Classic FM let me listen via the website from my laptop because I have a foreign IP address, but will play via an internet radio accessing the internet via the same router??

I'm just intrigued, it's not actually a problem for me as I use IP-hiding software on the laptop, but I'm just intrigued as I hate not knowing the answer to these kind of things!
 Internet radios...and PCs - Zero
its all down to licensing. Classic FM has a license to broadcast in the UK, so under those terms it has to restrict itself.

out of interest, what do you use to spoof your IP?
 Internet radios...and PCs - MD
>> its all down to licensing. Classic FM has a license to broadcast in the UK,
>> so under those terms it has to restrict itself.
>>
>> out of interest, what do you use to spoof your IP?
>>
Come on Mike. I want to know as well as nought.
I use Hide My IP (www.hide-my-ip.com/). You buy the basic software, plus I have purchased the premium licence, which is a recurring charge, which allows me to choose to use specifically use a UK IP address - without this, it assigns a random address anywhere in the world IIRC. It's pretty good, you can choose which programs you want to use the proxy IP for, and which browsers (I only have it set up for Firefox but it's just a mouse click to add or remove other browsers such as Chrome & IE whic I occasionally do). I use it to allow me to use not only BBC i-Player but also the i-Player desktop.

I used to use FoxyProxy, but it won't allow me to use i-Player desktop, and you have to configure every browser separately with passwords, port numbers, IP addresses etc. I would recommend Hide My IP for it's simplicity. Plus I have found that it really slowed down downloads, whereas I see no difference to the "unhidden" connection with Hide My IP using a proxy in Northampton.

The only downside is that every time I sleep my laptop by closing the lid, when I reopen it I have to unhide and rehide my IP as it seems to confuse it. Other than that, trouble free and easy to use.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Jan 11 at 12:40
>> its all down to licensing. Classic FM has a license to broadcast in the UK,
>> so under those terms it has to restrict itself.
That's exactly my question - I understand the licensing issue for the laptop, so why does it work on the inetrnet radio??
 Internet radios...and PCs - Iffy
If I log on to the National Lottery website using the dongle the site flags up a warning about only UK residents being eligible to play.

I'm in England and the dongle is a standard UK-supplied one, but it must confuse the site somehow.

the answer is in the answer.

IT, being Classic FM, has to restrict its realm of broadcasting under the terms of its licensing.
So it does on the website that is under its control.

It cant stop anyone else re streaming it however.
Sorry Zero, I understood your previous answer but had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the streaming was "official" by the station itself. So you're saying that anyone can stream any radio station on to the net?
 Internet radios...and PCs - lancara
The whole thing seems to have got very confusing.
In Spain during the mid-90s there were a number of re-broadbasters of UK television and radio programmes. Most of them have been shut down by the local police. Now the ISPs are streaming UK TV and Radio as part of of the overall broadband/telephone package and not charging specifically for the streaming - this is apparently legal (don't ask). I live in an area which is unsuitable for a satellite feed so use the internet streaming - OK during the day, but can get a bit "buffery" during popular programmes.
>> Sorry Zero, I understood your previous answer but had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the streaming
>> was "official" by the station itself. So you're saying that anyone can stream any radio
>> station on to the net?

Yes. It helps for the original station to throw its hands up in mock horror and say Gosh, not out fault we are doing all we can. Cest la vie.
Latest Forum Posts