Computer Related > Windows 7 licensing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 4

Windows 7 licensing - Focusless
As I was typing my last post on my Windows update problem thread using my new PC, I got a popup saying Windows 7 had successfully activated. That surprised me a bit, because technically I guess I'm breaking the law at the moment - the same retail copy of Win7 is also still installed on the old PC.

Of course in the next day or 2 I'm going to wipe the old PC and flog it as a linux system (done it before), but if I didn't, at what point would Microsoft start taking notice? Next time I turned on the old PC? Next time both PCs were on at the same time? Never?
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 16:12
 Windows 7 licensing - Zero

>> what point would Microsoft start taking notice? Next time I turned on the old PC?
>> Next time both PCs were on at the same time? Never?

Possibly any time in the next 30, 60 or 90 days, maybe never.

Did you run the "genuine windows advantage" test against your new one? You using MSE?
 Windows 7 licensing - Focusless
>> Did you run the "genuine windows advantage" test against your new one?

Err... not deliberately, although I've been installing all the latest Windows updates. How do you run it?

>> You using MSE?

Yes.

EDIT: the updates were installed before I got the activation popup
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 8 Jan 11 at 16:20
 Windows 7 licensing - Zero
If you installed MSE, it should have checked your version is activated and genuine
 Windows 7 licensing - smokie
I installed a "previously used" version of Windows 7 on SWMBOs laptop a week or so back. That failed activation, even though it had been wiped from the original machine.

I've just been through the automated phone activation and it activated without problem.
Latest Forum Posts