Computer Related > New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 20

New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Runfer D'Hills
Right ho then, bit out of my comfort zone in this part of the forum I'm afraid. Rather count myself as a long term provisional licence holder when it comes to computing machines.

Anyway, I need a new printer. Old one dead. Domestic use mainly, bit of work stuff but increasingly necessary for son's homework projects etc. Occasionally print off a photo or two.

Old one was ancient and used ink at an alarming rate and seemed to favour only original brand catridges at small fortunes each.

Saw an ad on the TV earlier for a Kodak printer which made claims of being cheap to run ink-wise. Available in Comet it said.

Anyone recommend it or any other suggestions? Don't need fancy but want reliable. No need for wireless.

Please be gentle with me on the jargon front. Bit dim about such things.

Thanks in advance !
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Netsur
I have a Kodak inkjet at the office on my desk for quick bits and an HP multifunction at home. I would say the Kodak give better quality but the HP cartridges last longer and are not so expensive.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Zero
Canon. MP280

www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PIXMA-MP280-Colour-printer/dp/B00400OK02/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

37 quid
I saw an HP in Staples today funnily enough. Very cheap I think on offer at £29.99. Wasn't sure if it would maybe do. Struck me it was possibly too cheap to be any good but I really know nothing useful about the subject so wouldn't know.
Printers are cheap, ink is expensive.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - MrTee43
I could tell you about the Epson Photo printer, with 6 ink cartridges that I can refill over and over again with cheap bulk ink, that produces great photos and also scans and copies, has two paper trays built in, has wireless conectivity......and cost me less than £120

But I wont because someone will no doubt tell me that it is a pile of rubbish just for the sake of argument.
Thanks for the suggestions chaps. Are there any brands to avoid or indeed favour particularly?
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - swiss tony
All printers have their good, and bad points.
Its worth reading spec's, looking at reviews,on the net, and in magazines and check the price of refills!
Cheers Tony but I think I might rather stick pins in my eyes than read reviews of computer printers !

:-)

Failing any better ideas I'll go with one of the suggestions above. It'll be fine I expect.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Stuartli
>>I could tell you about the Epson Photo printer, with 6 ink cartridges that I can refill over and over again with cheap bulk ink, that produces great photos...>>

Sounds exactly like my utterly reliable four-year-old Epson R300 in many ways, the only difference being that I buy packs of the six cartridges in bulk (to make the most of the delivery cost) from:

www.diskdepot.co.uk

tinyurl.com/32h2fq (six cartridges pack)

tinyurl.com/33cagsn
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - VxFan
Bought an Epson SX425W from Staples for £60 (½ price offer) last week.

This week I see Tesco are selling it for £50 (£70 off).

Good printer & scanner though - and also has WIFI. One of the things that swayed me towards it is that it has 4 separate ink tanks and thus you only replace the ink that's used.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 9 Jan 11 at 00:00
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Iffy
Kodak make great play of their cheap ink.

£13 for colour, £7 for black.

I'm sure their printers are as good as any other, so the cheap ink would swing it for me.

www.kodak.com/global/mul/consumer/print/en_gb/index.html
Canon is 10 pounds for black, and 10 pounds for colour.

total 20 quid.

Kodak is, total 20 quid as well.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Hard Cheese

Agree, Canon any day, reliable and econmical.

New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - R.P.
Get a WiFi one Humph - can be use by any computer on the network then..
Thanks for all the advice once again everyone. Leaning to Canon now. As for WiFi....ooh er....sounds a bit complicated to me. Having said that, my son would suss it in no time undoubtedly.

Beautiful crisp sunny day here. Bikes loaded.....

:-)
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - -
Canon here too, and SWM has a second Cannon at her place of small business, both are all in ones and do everything asked of them without a problem and without needing an expert, so far inks have been relatively cheap for aftermarket and last well.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - paulb
A vote for HP Photosmart here - ours is a 309G (or something) and does wifi and Bluetooth. Nice and easy to set up and reasonably sensible software. Ink cartridges about £7 each. Prints very good photos, too. Think we paid about £100 from John Lewis online.
>>..so the cheap ink would swing it for me.>>

The six Epson compatible ink cartridge packs I've mentioned earlier cost £4.32 a PACK.....:-))

Used them for several years - the only thing I do, as I've mentioned before, is never to switch the Epson R300 off as it prevents unnecessary heading cleaning routines and eventual clogging up of the waste ink tank.
 New printer, any recommendations? Kodak maybe? - Iffy
...six Epson compatible ink...

Depends on your view of compatibles.

The only problems I've ever had with ink cartridges have been with compatible ones.

My employers went through a phase of buying compatibles for my office printer and separate fax machine.

Not all the compatibles gave bother, but a significant number did.

>>Depends on your view of compatibles.>>

Well I've used them for just under 15 years now (first were for a Canon BJC600e which cost £394 new at Makro and used for 10 years) and the Epson equivalents for the past four years in an R300.

Both the Canon and the Epson were/are quality photo printers - in fact the Canon, which used four cartridges, could do pretty much then what is achieved today.
Latest Forum Posts