Computer Related > Hard Discs and vibration Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 6

Hard Discs and vibration - Aretas
My desktop is upstairs, next to the bathroom which houses a washing machine. When spinning the vibration is quite bad, and I once lost a hard drive. I now negotiate computer time so that the two machines are not on at the same time.

Are 3.5 inch hard discs available that will withstand this treatment?
 Hard Discs and vibration - Zero

>> Are 3.5 inch hard discs available that will withstand this treatment?

No, but its possible to get shock proof carriers to mount in your PC.

I would be looking at the source tho, think how much damage this is doing to your washing machine. Make the floor stable (thick piece of marine ply) and then level the thing up properly.
 Hard Discs and vibration - Tooslow
How old is the (washing) machine? When ours died of old age the quietness and lack of vibration from the new one was quite a revelation.
John
 Hard Discs and vibration - swiss tony
>> the vibration is quite bad, and I once lost a hard drive.

That must be some serious vibration, for the HD to work loose, fall out the computer, never to be seen again...
 Hard Discs and vibration - Kevin
Vibration is a disk killer.

Even shouting at them has measurable effects.

blogs.sun.com/brendan/entry/unusual_disk_latency

Kevin...
Thanks for advice. I have now mounted the whole computer on a make-shift anti-vibration base, more as a precaution against someone forgetting to switch it off when using the washing machine, rather than planning to use it this way.

Washing machine is 8 years old and, having fitted new motor brushes recently, is working fine, so no intention to replace it yet.
Kevin, just watched your link. Fascinating. Never realised they were quite that sensitive.
Latest Forum Posts