Computer Related > MSE question Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 12

MSE question - Skip
I am using MSE Anti Virus and was wondering how often its advisable to run a quick scan and a full scan ?
 MSE question - Zero
I leave my machine on on Sunday, and its set to do a full weekly scan

With MSE its very (in a relative sense ) quick.
 MSE question - smokie
Never understood the point of a scan if it is doing real time checking - but I do a full weekly anyway
 MSE question - diddy1234
I dont think there is much point.

When MSE is first installed it will perform a full scan and after that every file that is installed / put on by the user is then scanned as well.

So a full scan is performed at install time.

So what is the point of a full scan every week ?

Avast works similar in that it performs a full scan when installed and then scans just any new files afterwards.
 MSE question - Zero

>> So what is the point of a full scan every week ?

Because a new or disguised virus may have crept through before the virus signature file gets an update to defend against it.

Its in then

An updated AV scanner will find it.

And if the full scan is so unobtrusive or forgiving of system resources, there is no reason not to - is there.
 MSE question - diddy1234
Zero, good point.

However I have never really seen that to be an issue in reality.

I would imagine users would have to be downloading warez software or serious amounts of bit torrents to get something like your example to happen.

The only issue I could see is if a pc has multiple users and a virus gets onto the pc as another user of that pc.
The antivirus software should run at system level and detect it.
 MSE question - Zero
If it was that simple, there would never be a Virus problem anywhere in the world.
 MSE question - Skip
Well it is halway through a full scan and i see that it is saying that it has detected malicious or unwanted software, so it has found smething that has "slipped through the net" !
 MSE question - Skip
"Well it is halfway through a full scan and i see that it is saying that it has detected malicious or unwanted software, so it has found smething that has "slipped through the net" ! "

The result of the scan revealed 2 severe threats, unfortunately i cant remember exactly what they were now, but the had the words Java & exe in them.

It says that they have now been removed, but should i now do anything else, sorry if i sound thick but i am no computer expert !

I had last run a full scan about a month ago & it was clear then, & am a bit disappointed that it got past MSE, or am i being unfair ?
 MSE question - Zero
>> It says that they have now been removed, but should i now do anything else,

No you need do nothing else

>> I had last run a full scan about a month ago & it was clear
>> then, & am a bit disappointed that it got past MSE, or am i being
>> unfair ?

Who's to sat how well another scanner would have done with this threat. Who's to say if another one would have found it with a subsequent scan like MSE did.

You have to bear in mind that not every threat isn't instant disaster, there are a lot of badly formed virii that are broken or don't work.
 MSE question - Skip
Thanks Zero. To be fair to MSE when i 1st installed it and ran a scan it picked up a couple of things that Avast had missed !
 MSE question - spamcan61
>>
>> It says that they have now been removed, but should i now do anything else,
>> sorry if i sound thick but i am no computer expert !
Only if you've copied files from this PC onto another one, in that case you need to virus check any PC that might have files copied from this one

>>
>> I had last run a full scan about a month ago & it was clear
>> then, & am a bit disappointed that it got past MSE, or am i being
>> unfair ?
>>
It may just be a false positive anyway, but no AV program is 100% effective, maybe it did sneak on before MS updated the virus definitions.
 MSE question - Hard Cheese

>> but no AV program is 100% effective maybe it did sneak on before MS updated the virus definitions.>>

That is most likely I would say.
Latest Forum Posts