Computer Related > USB Data Stick Operating Temperature Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Pete Replies: 22

USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Pete
I regularly back up my data to an external hard drive, which I keep in the house. In a rather paranoid moment I started to wonder what would happen if my house burnt down. I'd like a secondary back up. The obvious choice would be to put all my data online, but the last time I tried it took too long to upload via my broadband connection.

So I'm wondering: would I be able to buy a large capacity usb data stick which I could put somewhere discrete in the garden and which would survive the kind of temperatures which we get in winter?
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Zero
>> So I'm wondering: would I be able to buy a large capacity usb data stick
>> which I could put somewhere discrete in the garden and which would survive the kind
>> of temperatures which we get in winter?

The stick might just survive, but the data wont.

I have to say this is paranoia gone mad. Your life wont stop if you loose your data. If it does then pay for online vaulting services. Once your initial data is backed up, incrementals take no time at all.
Thanks for the tip re the data. I should have made it clear: I run my business from home and I have 13 years worth of materials on my PC, so although life would go on, it would be a major headache. I'll reinvestigate online backups. I know that there are USB sticks with wide-ranging operating temps but they seem to be serious industrial pieces of kit sold by firms in China.......
PS

Are there any particularly recommended online vault services?
>> PS
>>
>> Are there any particularly recommended online vault services?

Whats the current size of your backup?
>> >> PS
>> >>
>> >> Are there any particularly recommended online vault services?
>>
>> Whats the current size of your backup?
>>
9.6GB, but that includes old photos that I don't mind deleting.
www.perfectbackup.co.uk/pc-mac-backup

give this mob a free 30 day trial
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Statistical Outlier
9.6 Gb of data will only take about 2 weeks to back up to a service like Carbonite. Thereafter you will not notice it working in the background.

When I had a total hard drive failure my local backup got me within a couple of days of current, then everything else had been caught by Carbonite. Best £40 a year I've ever spent.

No connection, but a very happy user (I have 190 Gb backed up on there by the way).
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - John H
>> 9.6GB, but that includes old photos that I don't mind deleting.
>>

Free 25GB storage with Microsoft
explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

or 50GB here
www.adrive.com/

Last edited by: John H on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 12:34
If its business, then yes use an online vaulting service. Back-up and recovery of this data then becomes part of your business continuity plan in the event of disaster.

And dont forget, its a legitimate operating expense to the tax man.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - spamcan61
I've put USB sticks through a 40C wash cycle on more than one occasion and they've worked fine afterwards, I've let them dry out for 24 hours before plugging 'em back in.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Crankcase
Why wouldn't you just put the stick somewhere safe that's not in the garden or the house?
>> Why wouldn't you just put the stick somewhere safe that's not in the garden or
>> the house?
>>
One of my mates has an old CD with my data on, but I want something that is quick and convenient to do every week (at 2 am if that's when I get round to it). Sounds like online is the way to do.....
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Iffy
Buy a second hard drive and leave it somewhere else, maybe in the car.

USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Crankcase
This or something similar?

tinyurl.com/68xqtkr

eBay link.

Ah! Now that is a very good idea. I shall investigate. Thanks very much.
>> Buy a second hard drive and leave it somewhere else, maybe in the car.
>>
>>
>>
but..but..but my house has an integral garage, so if it burns down it will probably take the car with it.

I have an uneasy sense that I'm starting to sound like a complete neurotic.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Tooslow
Could you not leave a second USB disc with relatives / in-laws / friends? Encrypted if you so wish.

John
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - MD
Using storage crypt to do so.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - VxFan
>> but..but..but my house has an integral garage, so if it burns down it will probably take the car with it.

How about a fire safe? You could also use it to store other documents, such as passports, driving licences, insurance paperwork, etc.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Bellboy
usb sticks work on eprom
no way would i trust one long term
or cd rewrite type discs
as said i would just buy another quality hard drive and give it to a relative to stick in a vacuum packed bag in their loft
or try iron horse prices
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - Dulwich Estate
When I ran my business from home I kept back-ups on CDs that I left in the garden shed - you might need DVDs these days though.

Paranoid, obsessive you may think. My business was dealing with repairs to houses following insurance claims. I saw plenty enough fires and floods to justify using the shed.
 USB Data Stick Operating Temperature - MD
Stu may have a spare one. Sorry mate.
Latest Forum Posts