Computer Related > Is ipad for you? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 8

Is ipad for you? - movilogo
After Apple reduced ipad 1 price by £100, I was tempted to get one.

But then going through the questionnaire in this site, made me realize it is probably not for me.

www.pocket-lint.com/news/32505/should-i-buy-an-ipad

So Apple lost a sale :-)
 Is ipad for you? - Crankcase
Fair enough - thought about it myself but realise I can't think of anything to do with it.
 Is ipad for you? - Bellboy
good link
seems i certainly dont need one
 Is ipad for you? - Statistical Outlier
I recently got an iPad for work, so can possibly give a slightly more boring but less tongue in cheek take on this.

In brief, it’s very unlikely you need one, but it may be more use than you thought.

My take until very recently was that, given an iPad didn’t do enough to mean that I wouldn’t need a laptop on any trip, and as it was too heavy to carry as well, it was a waste of time. I was correct on this, any work trip I take I will still have to carry a real computer, an iPad simply won’t cut it in many small ways.

So why have I now got one? I got an iPad for a recent exhibition we were doing, as we wondered if it would be a good way to present information and data on a 1 to 1 basis on the stand. For this it turned out to be simply superb, a quite transformative way of showing research and graphical data.

So, now I have one, is it any good for anything else. Actually, I’m finding I’m using it a lot more than I expected. As a media consumption tool it’s really rather good. The Times app is a good example of a really nicely implemented app that makes reading the paper an easy and plesant experience. On a recent holiday my gf and I enjoyed doing the crossword and Sudoku every day.

While it’s no laptop replacement, a combination of basic word processor, evernote and dropbox make it a surprisingly good tool for catching up on simple document editing and creation when travelling. On a train it’s much easier to use than a laptop if you don’t have a table. That also spares the battery on the laptop if the extra capability isn’t needed. It also makes a very nice ebook reader, and Amazon have been doing quite nicely out of me since I’ve had it. No good in direct sun, it is quite capable of shouting enough when in the shade though. The iPlayer app is pretty good for watching telly in bed as well. And of course you can check your email instantly with no waiting for a computer to boot, if that matters to you?

So, it’s a lot more use than I expected, is extremely nice to have around, but has no killer application I’ve seen so far, excepting the exhibition / presentation role I mentioned at the start.

Would I buy one with my own money? Honestly, I’m not sure. I’d miss it if I had to give it back, that’s for sure. And unless you’re wanting to game with it, I see no compelling reason to go for the iPad 2 rather than 1. At £100 off, I’d be tempted to buy the basic model if a few of the uses mentioned above were of interest (you can count me as unconvinced about the higher specced models).

Hope that helps
Actually, I didn't remember to mention one of the most useful things it can do when you have it with you when travelling. The iPad can act as a second monitor for your laptop. Seriously handy.
 Is ipad for you? - Zero
Thanks for that, echoes my own views. Its a laptop (netbook) or Ipad and the netbook wins it hands down in my view. (specially if that netbook is a macbook air)

>> The Times app is a good example of a really nicely implemented

App that costs money - 1 pound per day, 2 pounds per week.

The less the people that sign up the sooner we can get back to freely available news.

>The iPlayer app is pretty good for watching telly in bed as well. And of course you can check >your email instantly with no waiting for a computer to boot, if that matters to you?

The iplayer app for iPhone (and live tv) is also available on the iPhone, and its a much easier proposition to use in bed than the IPAD.

I don't see the point in lugging a larger Iphone around with you.

Is ipad for you? - RattleandSmoke
I think I will just stick with my Netbook :).
 Is ipad for you? - spamcan61
>>
>> I don't see the point in lugging a larger Iphone around with you.
>>
Good for people like me with crap eyesight, but a trip to Specsavers would be cheaper.
Z, you're right, a Macbook Air would indeed replace a laptop for many trips. I'm not sure I could swing that through work though - pricey!
Latest Forum Posts