Computer Related > Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 8

Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - diddy1234
Looks like the touchy feely interface is going to be a big thing with windows 8.

The desktop still exists but is hidden away in a new screen make over.

Who in their right mind can use excel for five hours a day on a touch screen ?

Even Apple know when to keep two products separate (Ipad and Macos X desktop pc's)

details and video here :-

www.geekwire.com/2011/tiles-tablet-windows-8-real-glimpse

Urgh - i hate it.
 Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - rtj70
There is still a normal UI too plus the tiled one (taking cues/ideas from WinPho 7). They are not expecting you to use Excel on a touch screen.

A lot of the ideas from Apple's iOS on the iPhone, iPod and iPad are coming to MacOS X Lion soon. But iOS is a cut down version of MacOS X.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 16:35
I would imagine there will be a fair few registry hacks to get around this new user interface.

surely Microsoft can't expect everybody to log in with this new interface to then change the interface to the usual desktop in order to run the productivity applications in use these days.

Microsoft are trying to make a consumer device user interface fit a productivity device.
The two just will not mix.
 Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - Zero
Its just a shell, nothing more or less than that.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 17:05
 Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - RattleandSmoke
I've had a few jobs to fix the file menu which suddenly went missing. In all cases it is because the customer has installed an update which installs IE9 which hides the file menu by default.

I also know several people who refuse to use Office 2007 because of the interface.

I personally really hate touch screen interfaces and I think it has little place on a desktop computer.

So will Windows 8 be Windows 7 or Windows 6.2 I wonder?

Anyway the more changes Microsoft make, the more jobs they give me to do :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 2 Jun 11 at 19:26
 Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - rtj70
>> I also know several people who refuse to use Office 2007 because of the interface.

I was in that camp until I got my new Windows 7 64-bit work laptop - I didn't want to learn the Ribbon interface. Got used to it and it's okay now. But I'd prefer the older style interface instead of it changing all the time.

It was worse when I had a deadline and had to edit a doc that I was working on at short notice. Didn't want to risk compatibility issues with colleagues using Word 2008 on the Mac although it would have been fine.
Use something else then like open office (there are alternatives).

Another work around is to use the old classic menu for office (there are a few free menu bars for office on the Internet).

I use this for office 2007 at work and most of us in the office also use it as it keeps the older menu system under one extra ribbon button.
This way you don't have to learn the ribbon buttons only for Microsoft to then change it all at a later date.
 Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - RattleandSmoke
I use OpenOffice myself, I have connected to a MySQL database, I wonder how easy that would be with Office? Actually I've done it C#.NET so probably very easy use setup an access database with a MySQL backend,

The main reason I use OpenOffice is it isn't worth the £300 or so I would have to pay for a business licence.

Microsoft just made a boo boo with Windows 8 - John Mathews
Well i won't prefer 8 from my windows 7. With the amount of disadvantages given by all.
Latest Forum Posts