Computer Related > Google Search Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PhilW Replies: 18

Google Search - PhilW
Probably a dumb question, but in the past I have always set my prefererence to "Open search result in a new page" or somesuch but can't find how to do this on current Google page. As a result I have to use the back button to go back to search results instead of just closing a page if it's not the result I want. What am I missing?
Technotit Phil
 Google Search - Zero
Top right of the google page, click on the little settings cog wheel

click on the search settings sub menu that comes up

Scroll to the bottom, and you will see the box to tick for "open results in new window"
 Google Search - PhilW
Thanks Zero, obvious when you know how ain't it!!
Phil
 Google Search - Iffy
Another way is to right mouseclick and hold on the search result.

This brings up a list of options, some of which I don't understand, but two I do: 'open link in new tab' and 'open link in new window'.

Google Search - VxFan
>> Another way is to right mouseclick and hold on the search result.

Or hold down the ctrl key and then click the link with the mouse button. Or if you want to open the link in another browser window, hold down shift then click the link with the mouse button.
 Google Search - John H
>> Another way is to right mouseclick and hold on the search result.
>>

If you have a modern mouse, just use scroll wheel click - also known as "middle mouse click".

tips for using scroll wheel:
www.pcworld.com/article/185288/bring_your_middle_mouse_button_to_life.html
"Open Links in New Tabs
When you middle-click a link in Google Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer (not sure about Opera, but I'm guessing so), that link opens immediately in a new tab."

Last edited by: John H on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 09:45
 Google Search - Iffy
...If you have a modern mouse, just use scroll wheel click...

Scroll wheel?

I have an Apple magic mouse.

Anything else is just so clumsy and inelegant. :)

www.apple.com/magicmouse/

Google Search - John H
>> I have an Apple magic mouse.
>>

Good for you. You win the big wiener waving competition.

>> Anything else is just so clumsy and inelegant. :)
>>

Or the anything else is owned by someone who has more sense than money.

>> www.apple.com/magicmouse/
>>

and I doubt if the OP will wish to spend extra on the prerequisites to get the magicmouse to work:

"System Requirements
Mac computer with Bluetooth wireless technology
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0* or Mac OS X v10.6.1 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0"

Last edited by: John H on Mon 13 Jun 11 at 10:27
 Google Search - Iffy
John H,

Do you deliberately ignore the light-hearted irony in a post, or do you just not see it?

The OP's question had been answered from most angles, including a sensible reply from me.

Did you not think my second post in the thread might not be entirely serious?

Google Search - PhilW
"The OP's question had been answered from most angles, including a sensible reply from me.Did you not think my second post in the thread might not be entirely serious?"

So many answers and ways of doing it - I must truly be a technotit!! Thanks for the advice all.

And Iffy, do you really mean that I didn't need to buy that lovely Mac thing???

Actually, my son keeps getting at me to buy a Mac thing :-)

Google Search - Stuartli
>>Actually, my son keeps getting at me to buy a Mac thing :-) >>

You can get them at lower prices than you might think:

tinyurl.com/64ztp39
 Google Search - Zero
I can see iffy in that. Its the same one Dudley Moore wore when they did the Pete and Dud sketches,
 Google Search - PhilW
"I can see iffy in that. Its the same one Dudley Moore wore when they did the Pete and Dud sketches"

I thought it looked quite fashionable when I bought it on iffy's advice and a step up from the Pakamac I bought in 1966.
Ah, well, I guess I can't always be at the forefront of fashion.
When do you think my wedding suit will come back into fashion? At least 6 inch lapels and, unfortunately, the flares covered my shoes so no-one could see the rather fetching Cuban heels. 'Twas a rather nice shade of brown as well - and the tie? Wow, about 10 inches wide and so purple brown and orange - so good that I still wear it, and people often make comments!! Went very well with SWMBO's Laura Ashley flowery dress. And we had a nice little house to move into, purple nylon carpets and orange wallpaper (in every room). Nice brown 3 piece suite. And a yellow (plastic) bathroom suite - So groovy!
Do you think I should redecorate? Don't like to in case I redecorate and orange and purple are the latest fad! What do you think. Twin tub is still going well, mangle needs a new roller though.
Think I'll go and think about it and have a Park Drive and a Watney's Red Barrel ( still some left in the Party Seven! top class beer , such an improvement over that stuff out of wooden barrels)
Phil 1978.
 Google Search - rtj70
You're so funny aren't you. Not. What a waste of typing on your part.

;-)
 Google Search - PhilW
Don't quite know how to take that Rob.
I'll go to bed and not think about it.
;-)
 Google Search - Iffy
..."I can see iffy in that. Its the same one Dudley Moore wore when they did the Pete and Dud sketches"...

I confess to owning a Burberry trenchcoat/raincoat, bought many years ago in a weak moment as I wandered past Aquascutum in Regent Street.

It is classic apparel for a journalist, but the problem is when I turn up wearing it at a job with hacks from other papers they all take the mick.

So I'm shamed into leaving it in the wardrobe.

A three-quarter length Berghaus jacket in a sober colour is acceptable winter wear on the reporting catwalk.

Google Search - Dog
>>I confess to owning a Burberry trenchcoat/raincoat, bought many years ago in a weak moment as I wandered past Aquascutum in Regent Street<<

Our paths cross again my beatified friend ... 1st Camberwell, and now Regent St.

I used to work for a film Co in Beak St. called Heritage films, which became Peter Walker film productions.

Google Search - Iffy
...Our paths cross again my beatified friend...

Beatified?

Hold on while I look that up.

www.thefreedictionary.com/beatification

'To make blessedly happy', 'exalted above all others'.

Like it - use it.

Back to the other end, I worked in an office in Warwick Street, on the corner of Glasshouse Street.

I could see the side entrance to Aquascutum - and a bit of Regent Street - from the window.

We used to drink in a pub in Beak Street, the name of which escapes me.

It was a very ordinary pub, which is why we went there.

We also used the Samuel Smiths pub in Kingly Street because the beer was cheap for London, let alone the West End.

Google Search - Dog
>>Back to the other end, I worked in an office in Warwick Street, on the corner of Glasshouse Street<<

My boss (Peter Walker) used to park his DB6 in Golden Sq., and I used to have to feed the meter for him,

No pubs left in Beak St. by the looks of it, all converted into Oriental eating houses,

I was more into 'herbs' than the golden throat charmer back then (but I made up for it later)

Latest Forum Posts