Computer Related > Bong... Operation aborted Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 7

Bong... Operation aborted - Dave
Running IE7, and for the last couple of days I get this message on some websites (notably RS components, Google, and the DT).

It will also often hang, and when closing down the window I get the message that IE is busy, and do I really wany to close it down.

And lastly, sometimes only the page header will appear (on this site for example) and I have to refresh to get the rest. These symptoms have all happened over the last couple of days.

Nothing has been done/added to the PC lately, and I've switched off AVG.

Any ideas?
Last edited by: Dave on Mon 20 Jun 11 at 11:58
 Bong... Operation aborted - RattleandSmoke
What spec is your computer?

What toolbars do you have? Many Toolbars cause these problems so try disabling. If you run IE in safe mode does it do the same? You will want to upgrade the browser too, IE7 is very out dated now.
 Bong... Operation aborted - smokie
"I've switched off AVG" - before or after the problem started?
 Bong... Operation aborted - John H
>> Running IE7, and for the last couple of days I get this message on some
>> websites (notably RS components, Google, and the DT).
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>

1. Try a different browser to narrow IE7 as the culprit.
2. disable/update flash and/or other add-ons.
3. upgrade to IE8 minimum.

Thanks guys. It seems I've actually got IE8, and followed Rats advice to run in safe mode. Problem solved. So I disabled the Adobe PDF reader link helper and some other Adobe add-on, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I get a message when I open PDFs, and also the DT site tells me I need an add-on, but I can live with that. It seems one of them is just used to show me some graphic/film/advert/crap that I can live without.

Oh, and everything runs much much quicker now. I think part of the problem is my connecton is only 56k, and all the junk various sites throw at you causes many problems.
Last edited by: Dave on Tue 21 Jun 11 at 21:18
 Bong... Operation aborted - Victorbox
There are several critical updates for Adobe Reader / Adobe Shockwave / Adobe Flash Player at the moment, so it might be worth seeing if these updates also fix your problem.
Ah, there's always upgrades available. But when you go to load them you find they're usually huge, and at 56k will take a week to download. Then you find the computer is running out of memory and moves like a slug. So I always say no to them - they can keep their flash, bang graphics.
 Bong... Operation aborted - Victorbox
>> So I always say
>> no to them - they can keep their flash, bang graphics.

Well they're all tiny and are critical mainly from a security point of view rather than flash bang graphics!
Latest Forum Posts