Computer Related > XP Start up Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 19

XP Start up - Pezzer
Takes soooooo long approx (4.5 mins), Ive checked ms config and prevented anything unnecessary starting up, I have put more RAM in - now 2GB. I have downloaded a boot log tool which seems to suggest to me that I have 5 instances of svchost.exe taking between 130 and 180 seconds and a couple of items relating to Avast also taking a long time.

I realise its quite and old machine (AMD 1.6Ghz) is there anything else i can try ?

many thanks
 XP Start up - devonite
has it always been that slow? or has it just started to slow right up? - what have you/has been, installed just prior to you noticing the problem? - what system clean-up tools do you use?
 XP Start up - smokie
Seeing as you know how to use msconfig, best idea would be to remove everything from start up and put it back in one by one to identify the problem.

Mind you, if it were me I'd re-install it from scratch.
 XP Start up - Zero

>> I realise its quite and old machine (AMD 1.6Ghz) is there anything else i can
>> try ?
>>
>> many thanks

Yes, get rid of Avast and put Microsoft Security Essentials on instead.
 XP Start up - Victorbox
>> I realise its quite and old machine (AMD 1.6Ghz) is there anything else i can
>> try ?

It's not that decrepit - my 2001 1Ghz Pentium 3 with just 1GB RAM is up and running with XP Pro in less than a minute from pressing the power button and is nice and responsive.
I agree with the suggestion to ditch Avast in favour of the free Microsoft Security Essentials and to work through startup items. I would also try the free Ccleaner www.piriform.com/ccleaner/ to clean out years of accumulated unnecessary files including using the registry cleaner in it if you're brave and set a System Restore Point first. Ccleaner will also help you work through startup items using Startup section in Tools. I'd also try Defraggler as well. www.piriform.com/defraggler Take a look in Windows XP's Add/Remove Components and uninstall everything you don't really need.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Sat 25 Jun 11 at 19:34
 XP Start up - RattleandSmoke
Sounds like a failing hard drive, or a heavily fragmented file system. An Athlon XP 1.6Ghz should be able to boot in about 90 seconds easily. For basic tasks with 1GB of RAM they still quite fast machines.

I would do a surface test on the hard drive, as I suspect it may be full of bad sectors.
 XP Start up - DP
Did you try a defrag?
 XP Start up - Pezzer
Thanks to all for the replies, have tried most of what has been suggested, (long time CC user) have also deselected everything in startup including Zone Alarms and Avast but its still not much better.

I have fairly recently defragged the HD and will look at MSE, but the major delay seems to be between the desktop background loading and the Explorer bar appearing.

Will try a surface test - assume its an option somewhere in control panel/system.
 XP Start up - spamcan61
Maybe worth testing the HDD read/write speeds in particular using this program or similar:-

www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 27 Jun 11 at 13:13
I use Hitachi's HD Diagnostic program as it will work with any HD, not just IBM/Hitachi ones. It can be found on the ultimate boot CD, or Hitachi Storage website. It is an ISO image, you then boot from the CD.

You can also try downloading Cystal Disk, that will give you all the SMART data, if it is very bad you will see it there.

From what you say though it does sound like the hard drive is failing but a surface test and reading the SMART data is the only way to be sure.
 XP Start up - Zero
you have got to the stage where a format and rebuild is required.
 XP Start up - nice but dim
If you are intending to keep the PC for a while longer, maybe a new IDE hard disk might be worth investing in as I'm guessing the existing one is quite old and may be attributing (as others also say) to your speed issues.

You can connect the new one to the PC to install the OS on and then either connect the old disk up as a slave and transfer data across once the new disk has been rebuilt.

Easy for me to say, I know but if you have the £30-£40 spare you can pick a 250GB disk and minimises data loss providing you copy the data over ASAP.

You could also then format the old drive and turn it in to a external USB hard disk by mouting it into a caddy (£10-£15 off ebuyer)?
Last edited by: nice but dim on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 09:24
IDE drives are so expensive now though, I think the cheapest I've seen is £40 new for an 80GB one. In general if a client has a PC with an IDE drive and it needs a new hard drive I advise that is not economical to repair.
 XP Start up - Zero
Lord I have been throwing them away. I shall keep them, reformat and ebay them!

I have several 500 gb ones.
>> IDE drives are so expensive now though, I think the cheapest I've seen is £40
>> new for an 80GB one. In general if a client has a PC with an
>> IDE drive and it needs a new hard drive I advise that is not economical
>> to repair.
>>

Yes but OP's PC wont have SATA connections so will need to use IDE drives. I agree to an extent that the PC may need replacing in the next 12-18 months as judging by the type of CPU, it must be at least 2002-2003 vintage?
Last edited by: nice but dim on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:22
 XP Start up - Pezzer
I think there is a SATA connection in there.
I am slightly dubious that the HD is failing as this slow boot up has been going on for a long time but I have just put up with it.
I think that a complete re-install may be the way to go however I'm also minded to buy a Win 7 license if I can find one which is sensible money.
 XP Start up - Zero
The only windows 7 to put on that is the basic cut down version that comes with netbooks. It wont cope with anything more than that.
 XP Start up - spamcan61
If you qualify for the student license in some way then it's always around 40 quid at software4students:-

www.software4students.co.uk/Windows_7-software.aspx

edit Although I suspect Z is correct and the PC is too old.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 14:59
>> I think there is a SATA connection in there.
>> I am slightly dubious that the HD is failing as this slow boot up has
>> been going on for a long time but I have just put up with it.
>>
>>

The hard drive is a moving mechanical part and it will have worn it self out, it's not always sudden.

On older PC's it was the click on POST and the longer auto detect.
If there is a SATA port by a new hard drive anyway, they are less than £30 for a SATA 3.5".

Around 40% of the laptops I get in need a new hard drive as they are full of bad sectors, a lot of people don't want it replaced, so I just put on a disclaimer Got a six month laptop in now for virus removal, keeps locking up, Hitachi's own test tells me the drive is defective.

Slow booting PCs is a sign of a hard drive which needs replacing. I typically replace mine every couple of years, I keep an eye on the SMART and as soon as some sectors become defective it gets replaced.
Latest Forum Posts