Computer Related > Home network setup for file sharing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 8

Home network setup for file sharing - Focusless
I want to set up a home network such that I can share files mainly between the main Windows 7 PC and my XP work laptop, and also if possible with a Ubuntu laptop. I've been attempting to do this following the Windows 7 help, but have failed. The PC connects via wire to a wireless router to which the XP laptop connects wirelessly, and the Ubuntu laptop connects via homeplug.

The work laptop is part of a work domain which as far as I can understand it might limit my options.

Any idiot-proof help would be appreciated :)
 Home network setup for file sharing - Zero
Is the XP laptop on a domain or workgroup?

And how is it failing
The laptop is in the work domain.

It's more me that's failing than the setup ie. I'm having trouble finding relevant instructions.

The only thing I tried was a screen where it told me to wait for up to 90 seconds while it tried to find other connected devices. After 5 minutes it still hadn't found anything (but nothing indicated it had finished).
 Home network setup for file sharing - spamcan61
This is the guide I used when doing the same thing:-

www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

The work laptop's domain and security settings might complicate life though, my work laptops could never see my shared printers even though they could connect to my network.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 1 Jul 11 at 19:31
Thanks SC - I'll give that a go next time my son allows me on the PC.
Ok - without changing anything I can go to Network on the Windows 7 PC and see my XP laptop listed in the Computer section. It might have been there all the time; I'd never actually looked. However, if I double-click on it, I get a message to the effect that I don't have permission to access it, which is to be expected.

On the XP laptop, there is nothing listed in My Network Places. If I go to Computer Name in System Properties to ensure that the Workgroup name is set to 'Workgroup', it only gives the (work) domain.

Can I add the laptop to the home network while keeping it in (ie. capable of logging into) the work domain?
 Home network setup for file sharing - Zero
They need to be on the same domain or workgroup. An XP machine can only be a member of one domain or workgroup at a time.
Sounds like a show-stopper. Oh well. Thanks Z.
 Home network setup for file sharing - rtj70
If you want to have a share on the work laptop and have a local admin accoworkgroupunt then you can share it with workgroup computers and vice versa. You need to refer to the computer, share and user/password to user.eg

Net use \workpcshare /user:workpclocaluser password

I use this to access files on my work laptop from the mac.
Latest Forum Posts