Computer Related > CMOS battery Problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 6

CMOS battery Problems - Meldrew
My Acer Desktop is always connected to the mains, whether in use or shut down. From time to time it fails to boot up correctly but by following on screen prompts I can get it started but I then have to adjust the date/time which have defaulted to 2006. After that it works. However, a few months ago, and again yesterday morning, Monitor says no signal and the cooling fan gets very noisy; cure last time was fitting a new CMOS battery and probably will be again this time. Shouldn't this be a back up and/or be recharged by the power supply?

I dug out my spare desk top and used it yesterday afternoon with no problems; this morning no signal to the monitor and a horrible squeaking noise from the fan, there were no discs in the DVD drives so it looks like the same problem, or and least related. Is changing a CMOS battery something I could do myself? My computer shop don't charge much! Any thoughts would be helpful
 CMOS battery Problems - Zero
>> My Acer Desktop is always connected to the mains, whether in use or shut down.
>> From time to time it fails to boot up correctly but by following on screen
>> prompts I can get it started but I then have to adjust the date/time which
>> have defaulted to 2006. After that it works. However, a few months ago, and again
>> yesterday morning, Monitor says no signal and the cooling fan gets very noisy; cure last
>> time was fitting a new CMOS battery and probably will be again this time. Shouldn't
>> this be a back up and/or be recharged by the power supply?

Some are, some are not. matters not they all go in the end.

>> I dug out my spare desk top and used it yesterday afternoon with no problems;
>> this morning no signal to the monitor and a horrible squeaking noise from the fan,
>> there were no discs in the DVD drives so it looks like the same problem,
>> or and least related. Is changing a CMOS battery something I could do myself? My
>> computer shop don't charge much! Any thoughts would be helpful

Yes its easy to spot, it looks like a battery and is easy to change. However the fault on this machine sounds different.
Thank you Zero. I will give feedback when the batteries have been changed, which may not be for 10 days as I am on tour!
 CMOS battery Problems - Stuartli
>>Yes its easy to spot, it looks like a battery and is easy to change. However the fault on this machine sounds different.>>

I've perhaps been fortunate but, over the past 15 years, I've never had to change the CMOS battery on any system I've owned.
 CMOS battery Problems - Bromptonaut
>> I've perhaps been fortunate but, over the past 15 years, I've never had to change
>> the CMOS battery on any system I've owned.

Had one go many years ago on a 486. Since then I've taken the opportunity to change them when the case has been opened for other jobs.
 CMOS battery Problems - Victorbox
>> Is changing a CMOS battery something I could do myself? My
>> computer shop don't charge much! Any thoughts would be helpful

Instructions here: www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

Battery is almost certainly a CR2032 available everywhere.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 10:48
Apologies for the long delay! My computer friends/shop took the battery out and re-seated it. No charge and showed me how to do it myself! Simple catch enables one side to be removed from the casing and there is the battery, easy to access and change. It has been OK since I picked it up yesterday.
Latest Forum Posts