Computer Related > Reducing the size of photo files. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

Reducing the size of photo files. - R.P.
I have some 2.4mb photos that I need to e-mail into a pretty tightly controlled network. Size is everything with this particular network. How can I reduce them to a file size that is acceptable ?

Quality isn't that important.

Mac or PC software is an option.

Ta.
 Reducing the size of photo files. - Dave_
www.picnik.com/ if you've got a decent broadband connection, as you'll be uploading your big files.

Or you could use MS Picture It! Publishing if that's pre-installed as part of MS Works - it allows "batch" processing, i.e. resizing many pics at once. I use "multiple save" - select all the pictures, choose the .JPG format, select "Change size" and then "fit pictures into a box no bigger than" and I use 1024x768 (4:3 aspect) or 1366x768 (widescreen). This brings them out at 90-100k a picture, perfect for ebay etc.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 00:05
 Reducing the size of photo files. - rtj70
The email client on the Macbook will let you select image size. You never tried it? Leaves originals. You can also email out of iPhoto.

2.4Mb seems small if it's all the photos anyway. Mine are usually more than double that each if left as JPEGs.
Thanks both - I managed to get them up to 14.4mb a one stage !

Never tried the Apple e-mail client, I only use web-based e-mail accounts.....

I'll give the Works one a try first as I am on my old laptop PC at the moment

Thanks

i use iPhoto as i links directly a the push of a virtual button to Facebook !
Picnik is brilliant, big buttons, friendly colours and easy to understand, sorted !

Thanks Dave
 Reducing the size of photo files. - rtj70
In the bottom right of the mail client send window you can select size of picture. iPhoto deals with mail and image size itself and is intuitive. Not sure if you are still on Life 2009 or 11.

You're sorted now anyway.
Moved onto 11 thanks Rob
 Reducing the size of photo files. - Iffy
Now your sorted, RP, can I drift the thread towards iMail?

I only use webmail, but quite like iMail.

You get any size text box you want for reading/composing, and best of all there are no adverts.
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 07:58
 Reducing the size of photo files. - Robbie34
I use PIXresizer. pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
Got one down to 500kb this morning and sent it. Just come back as being too big, needs to be a 100kb or less. Blinking heck..!
 Reducing the size of photo files. - Zero
100kb? thats not a photo that's an inky stain.
...100kb? thats not a photo that's an inky stain...

Yes, I bet you can't see the texture of all those lovely bricks.

I'm e-mailing into a Police network, they're paranoid about system integrity or some such
No wonder wanted pics of villains all looks the same, at 100kb each they would be!
 Reducing the size of photo files. - spamcan61
This utility lets you resize photos directly from Windows Explorer by right clicking, you can't specify a file size but reducing to 'small' should be enough I think:-

imageresizer.codeplex.com/
...No wonder wanted pics of villains all looks the same, at 100kb each they would be!...

We often get custody pics.

Some of them look not so much indistinct as odd, we call it 'coppervision'.

Reducing the size of photo files. - ....
If using a PC open the picture in Paint, from the menu bar select Image-->stretch/skew set Horizontal and Vertical to 30% and save should reduce the pics down.

You can play about with the %. 30% should get you under the magic 100kb
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 13 Jul 11 at 12:38
So far all attempts at piercing the firewall have failed. I'll give Paint a try...
Give me a shout if you need any help.
It could be the firewall blocks all jpegs as they can hide all sorts of nasties.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 14 Jul 11 at 20:06
Aha that might explain it.
 Reducing the size of photo files. - spamcan61
>> Aha that might explain it.
>>
I was about to suggest sticking it in a ZIP file, in case JPGs are binned. won't make it any smaller but might ease the journey past the Firewall.
Some firewalls block ZIP files for the same reason.
Solved the problem in another way now. No photos sent. Depend on words and an offer to e-mail the photos to a private addresses. It's all to do with my wife's motorbike, she wants to put it on her work intranet's classified adverts for sale. Thanks for the help all..
some firewalls open zip files to check.
 Reducing the size of photo files. - franfran
Whenever I want to resize or crop a picture, unless I want to manipulate the image in other ways, I use Microsoft Paint. It's pretty basic, but it does the job.
Latest Forum Posts