Computer Related > Massive Symantec File Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 3

Massive Symantec File - Bromptonaut
My main PCis a middle aged but serviceable Fujitsu Siemens Amilo running XP home. It came with, and I've continued to maintain Norton Securtiy 2005. NIS 05 was the last version with an ad-blocker which is why I've held on. Been aware for a while that the hard drive space was reducing. Removed a load of old backups and stuff last month but by yesterday it was critical again.

When running CCleaner and defraggler I noticed very frequent references to files in Symantec Shared Services. This folder is over 50GB mostly with sub-folders named in the format tmpnnnn.tmp where nnnn are numerals.

Now I know all the warnings about Symantec being resource heavy but to this degree?. I'm wondering if something's hi-jacked it.

I'll uninstall Norton/Symantec later but have any of you IT chaps any ideas?
 Massive Symantec File - Zero
Its not housekeeping properly. These are all temporary files that have not been cleaned.

you can delete them, if you are feeling so brave,

And really, please get rid and put something better on.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 10:10
 Massive Symantec File - Bromptonaut
Thanks Zero. I've unistalled the whole thing and added MSE. Now got 26Gb used and 49 free - and the things moving at a decent speed too.

Will see how I get on but that ad for Scientology.org is really not wanted!!
 Massive Symantec File - Zero
What add for Scientology?

(dont diss them by the way, you never know what might happen to you, tom cruise might come round and bite your knee cap)
Latest Forum Posts