Computer Related > multi card reader Computing Issues
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

multi card reader - legacylad
Having recently bought my first laptop (Samsung Q330) I am now ready to transfer pics from my camera!
So I can do this I need to buy a 'multi card reader'....are they all similar or are some better than others? The card in my Fuji is an XD.
Apologies if this seems a simplistic question.
 multi card reader - Zero
They are all much of a muchness.

multi card reader - legacylad
Thank you Mr Z.
 multi card reader - spamcan61
Like Z says, all much of a muchness, here's one via Amazon for six quid, gets good reviews:-

tinyurl.com/6fkdxul

In the meantime you can probably connect your camera to the PC via USB lead anyway, although it tends to be slower.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 17 Jul 11 at 21:22
 multi card reader - Stuartli
According to the specs, your Samsung has a card reader but, apparently, only for Secure Digital (SD).
>> According to the specs, your Samsung has a card reader but, apparently, only for Secure
>> Digital (SD).
>>
Some of the very cheap (fiver or less) 'multi' card readers only actually handle SD and its more diminutive derivatives.
 multi card reader - R.P.
I got a good one from Tesco (Tesco branded) - works well and cost peanuts.
 multi card reader - RattleandSmoke
XD is a bit rare these days. I tend to typically pay around £1.50 for a card reader, I use them as they often have write protect switches on them, so they make very cheap USB sticks.
 multi card reader - rtj70
I'll be charging you for the IPR on that Rattle. :-)

xD cards are indeed a bit rare these days as is Smartmedia. The slot used for Smartmedia is usually the one used for xD. On one side of the slot it is slightly thicker where the xD card gets inserted.

This xD card reader from Fujitfilm seems quite cheap:

www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-USB-XD-Card-Reader/dp/B00172017W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310999673&sr=8-1

I haven't checked how much postage is - it's not supplied by Amazon itself.
It's from mymemory (one of the Jersey suppliers I've been using for years); so postage is free.

Looks like an XD specific reader for around 4 quid or a 'universal' for 6 quid then
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 18 Jul 11 at 15:42
 multi card reader - Dave_
I got a "USB2.0 All-In-One Card Reader" in Poundland the other week...

It wouldn't work with the 20cm USB lead supplied, but works fine with one of my own. The important part is that it accepts the tiny little card out of my phone, which is great for transferring music, photos and videos back and forth. Bargain!
 multi card reader - Stuartli
If you have the appropriate memory card, you can also use an MP3 player as a card write/reader.

To be honest, I'd be doubtful about using a Poundland multi-card reader...:-)
Latest Forum Posts