Computer Related > A faster alternative to google? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 12

A faster alternative to google? - Mapmaker
IMO Google has become rubbish. It is bloated and pathetically slow - maybe somebody finds the page previews useful, but it drives me mad.

What do others use?
 A faster alternative to google? - Zero
www.givemebackmygoogle.com/

google stripped down.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Jul 11 at 17:31
 A faster alternative to google? - rtj70
You can also turn off the preview for Google can't you. I don't bother because it's not slowed down for me.
 A faster alternative to google? - devonite
Are you using the "common or garden" Google or igoogle? The former works almost supersonic for me using xp and ff5. I dont get any apparent bloatware or previews either, have you clicked something in settings by accident?
 A faster alternative to google? - lancara
...and Bing should stick to singing
 A faster alternative to google? - rtj70
What's wrong with a search engine called Bing. Doesn't everyone now use it....

I joke. What were Microsoft thinking. Indeed without the intelligent Bill Gates at the helm they are not doing so well IMO. Apple has come back big time and people are willing to pay a big premium too. At least Microsoft had/has Apple shares.
 A faster alternative to google? - Crankcase
There's a TED talk somewhere online where a Microsoft engineer shows off Bing. The first thing he does is type in www.google.com and goes from there...
 A faster alternative to google? - Roger.
If using Firefox, I recommend installing the add-on "Optimise Google" 0.78.2.
This gives you very fine control over what any Google page (including Gmail) Google may or may not show you, or report back on - including targeted ads!
There is also another extension; " Google Analytics Opt out Browser add-on" 0.9.3, which prevents Google javascript (ga.js) sending information to Google Analytics.
You could also install Greasemonkey which has scripts (thro' Greasefire) which can also modify any Google (and most other script laden pages) to suit your preferences.
Finally there is the well known add-on "No Script" which does what it says on the tin!
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 11:10
 A faster alternative to google? - MD
Brilliant Mate.
 A faster alternative to google? - Fursty Ferret
>> www.givemebackmygoogle.com/
>>
>> google stripped down.
>>

Nice - just modified the search in Chrome to use the same filter.

"+-inurl%3A%28kelkoo|bizrate|pixmania|dealtime|pricerunner|dooyoo|pric
egrabber|pricewatch|resellerratings|ebay|shopbot|comparestoreprices|ci
ao|unbeatable|shopping|epinions|nextag|buy|bestwebbuys%29"
 A faster alternative to google? - Victorbox
Google isn't slow for me. I always marvel how it returns 2M+ results in a split second!
 A faster alternative to google? - Iffy
I sometimes use my old Vista laptop.

Google Chrome/iGoogle is a shade faster than Firefox/iGoogle.

I don't have page previews, not entirely sure what they are.

A faster alternative to google? - Mapmaker
If it gives you the first hit you want, then new Google is superb. If you are scrolling through pages, then thx Zero for the alternative suggestion.
Latest Forum Posts