Computer Related > Strange connectivity problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 12

Strange connectivity problems - Meldrew
Good Morning. I can get onto the internet thru IE9, obviously, but other browsers and facilities are not working. I am running windows XP on a desktop and a Netgear modem/router. The router is OK and I can connect to the internet with it, wirelessly, for my laptop and my i pod; the desktop uses an ethernet cable.

AOL (my ISP) cannot connect to the internet, Google Chrome cannot either and when I try to update my TOMTOM I am told that the server has "Refused the connection". I have rebooted the router which works OK, I have done a system restore, back to 8th June and my firewall is off, for the moment. This leaves me at the limit of my analytical powers. I have used Network diagnostics which tells me that my network adapter is OK. I am getting by but my access is restricted, any ideas would be welcome. Thank you.
 Strange connectivity problems - Zero
What did you do immediately prior to loosing the connection?

and are you sure that ie9 is getting through and not just using a local cache copy?

Sounds like a firewall issue.
Thanks for the input. I never get a connection, other than on IE9. I have tried disabling the Firewall, to no effect. The odd thing is that the message is not the common "Unable to display the web page" but "The server refused the connection" thus it seems to me that my computer is getting a request out but it is being rejected at the receiving end.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Wed 20 Jul 11 at 17:16
What about your anti virus?

Now I assume it was working at one time, so what did you do or what happened just before it stopped working.
edit, and can you connect to your router to see what that is saying? what router is it?
 Strange connectivity problems - spamcan61
I had a very similar problem myself this morning, for no apparent reason, turns out somehow IE had become configured to use a proxy, which is not what you want for a domestic internet connection.

So just to be sure check control panel > internet options > connections (tab) > LAN settings (button) and make sure the 'use a proxy sever' option hasn't mysteriously become ticked.

Strange connectivity problems - Dave_
>> somehow IE had become configured to use a proxy

The desktops at work have been doing that for a couple of weeks, but then all sorts of herberts use them both supervised and unsupervised so anything could have happened. At the moment they won't connect to the net with Firefox but will with IE6 (I know, I know) - I'll have a look at the settings next time, thanks.
 Strange connectivity problems - rtj70
For a machine at work on a domain it is easy to force changes using group policy - therefore periodically a proxy can be set and will override and changes you make.

At home this is not likely but something (trojan etc) could have done something to IE settings. But everything else ought to work fine. Have you got another computer on the home network - sounds like no - but you could rule out the Internet connection quickly.
Yes I have a laptop and an ipod which both connect correctly and fully, wirelessly thru the router
Full reply when I have checked the details of the router
 Strange connectivity problems - AnotherJohnH
>> Full reply when I have checked the details of the router

well, that's properly broken it.. :-(
Not really - It is only a matter of reading the label and running the test! IE9 is OK but if I try any other browser or try to connect my sat nav for updates I get the message

Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): The server refused the connection.

This makes me think that the router is asking for access and being denied and that it is not a firewall problem at my end.
Last edited by: Meldrew on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 06:45
Uodate. I have googled the error message and it looks as though loads of people have this problem and there is a lot on info thru which I shall work and hope to fix this. Thanks for help - I think we can call this case closed.
Latest Forum Posts