Computer Related > 12v Laptop Charger Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: MD Replies: 12

12v Laptop Charger - MD
Is it possible to obtain a 12v car charger for a Toshiba Satellite machine please.
 12v Laptop Charger - Iffy
One solution would be an inverter, which would give you a 13 amp size socket in the car, so you could use the home charger.

The output would be nowhere near 13 amps, but it should be enough to power a laptop.

Google '12v inverter' or somesuch for lots of choices.

Maplins was selling one in the shape of a mug, which is neat because it fits into the car's cupholder.

12v Laptop Charger - MD
No cup holder Iffy o-:-)
A builder's van with no cup/bottle of pop holder?

Should have bought a Ford.

12v Laptop Charger - Pat
tinyurl.com/3fdc69v

There we are Martin.
I used to use them in the lorry but eventually found that an inverter was far more flexible as I could boil a kettle for coffee as well:)

Pat
 12v Laptop Charger - MD
Thanks Pat. Tell me how much drain would there be on an average car/van battery say by boiling 4-5 mugs of water a day. Would it be prudent to run the engine whilst on PG duty??

Martin.
 12v Laptop Charger - Bromptonaut
We have a universal 12v laptop charger from Maplin; think they do several with different power outputs. Voltage is selectable and it came with a wide range of connectors. Works fine with my Samsung netbook. Cannot see it being a problem with the Tosh provided (a) the voltage and (b) the connector pin are there.
 12v Laptop Charger - Pat
Oh yes Martin, run the engine while boiling a kettle ALWAYS, as many of us have had to 'explain' a flat battery in the morning:)

Pat
 12v Laptop Charger - Zero
Yup inverters haul a lot of current out of a battery to provide 240 volts.

To provide a measly 150 watts of 240 volts, ohms law tells us that we need to drag 10.8 amps out of the battery. And as the battery voltage falls, the current goes up.
 12v Laptop Charger - spamcan61
and that 150W is going to take 15 mins.+ to boil 400ml of water.
...and that 150W is going to take 15 mins.+ to boil 400ml of water...

Aren't lorries 24 volts?

That would have given Pat's kettle a bit more oomph.

If you hot wire a 24v inverter, you can get 1200 watts out of it.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OIUFNW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000MMWDZ6&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0M5EBWD98WE1NV86SKV8

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 20 Jul 11 at 18:29
 12v Laptop Charger - MD
Ordered one from Amazon this morning, a simple little thing that won't boil a kettle and similarly won't boil my battery. Tea and Erin's curries etc. can be heated in the back on the little gas burner. Men and shed's eh!
 12v Laptop Charger - Zero

>> If you hot wire a 24v inverter, you can get 1200 watts out of it.

Will be hauling 50 amps out of your lorry battery. As Pat says, flat battery is a distinct possibility.
Latest Forum Posts