Computer Related > Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 12

Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - rtj70
Well I took pity on Apple with their latest results and so gave them £20.99 for an upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion (you can only upgrade for Mac OSX 10.6.8 through the app store... sure there will be clean install options to come).

Anyway I will take a look tonight.... download of the 3.5Gb took approx 55 minutes for me and the upgrade itself another 40 minutes.

I will now probably have lots of bugs effecting me... ;-)
 Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - Iffy
Rob,

I'm sure the handful of Mac users on here will be keen to hear how you get on with Lion.

It's unlikely to have many bugs, partly because Apple software is usually pretty good from that point of view, and it's only an upgrade of an existing bug-free operating system, albeit a substantial upgrade.

Has Safari had a tune-up?

I prefer the look of Safari on my Mac, but there's no doubt Firefox is a little quicker, and Chrome faster still, although I've only tried that on a Windows laptop.

I cnant't say I've noticed if Safari is any faster - it's always fast for me. But that might be because of my faster than average Internet connection.

The version could be different but I didn't note what it was before the upgrade. It's now 5.1 (7534.48.3).
...It's now 5.1 (7534.48.3)...

Thanks for that, my Safari on Snow Leopard is version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1), which I expect is the one you had.

As you say, connection speed is probably the key.

Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - car4play
We'll have a go here too. I know that a few of my old beloved apps will no longer work because Carbon (have I got that right?) is dropped, but that's the price of progress.
I know Rosetta is dropped so you cannot run old PowerPC applications. Most owners these days won't have those.
 Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - Zero
I see the new Macbook Airs are out as well pre loaded with Lion

And the surprise added bonus feature is the backlit keyboard.
...And the surprise added bonus feature is the backlit keyboard...

I wish you hadn't told me that.

As you know, I like my Apple toy features, and one of the reasons I'd persuaded myself I didn't want an Air to replace my Windows netbook was because the Air didn't have the backlit keyboard.

Another smart marketing move from Apple.

Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - car4play
>> And the surprise added bonus feature is the backlit keyboard.

I guess they couldn't fit in in the space on the original air but now can. I agree though, it's a great feature.
The original Macbook Air had a backlit keyboard. Then the second version which got slimmer didn't. Now it's back. I am surprised they dropped it.

I am not surprised they dropped the Macbook.
 Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion Upgrade - BiggerBadderDave
"And the surprise added bonus feature is the backlit keyboard."

Finally. You'll be able to ham shank with the lights off.
Two 'issues' so far but sorted. The first trivial really.

1. Microsoft Intellimouse - I use a Microsoft mouse (I use the extra buttons) and MacOS X had forgotten how it was configure. Re-installed it and it is working fine.

2. Accessing my NAS - although I could manually connect to the NAS with both AFP and SMB finder would find the shares on the network and not let me access them that way. It turns out Apple has turned off something they deem insecure relating to fileshares (DHCAST128 authentication method). I found a setting to change and it's back to working for AFP. Not found the solution for SMB yet but I am sure there will be a system preference that needs changing - or I could just use AFP.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 21 Jul 11 at 12:16
Netgear have released a beta for the firmware (Linux based) to support Lion and it works fine. I wonder if all companies will be so quick?
Latest Forum Posts