Computer Related > Laptop hinge problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 7

Laptop hinge problem - Iffy
When I use my Lenovo Windows laptop the screen sometimes goes fuzzy.

I'm guessing it's a dodgy connection through the hinges, because moving the screen back and forth usually gets it going again.

It's not worth getting it properly repaired, but is there anything I can do to ease the problem?

Would a spray with something suitable improve the connection?

Laptop hinge problem - Zero
There is no "connection" through the hinges. Its a very thin flat ribbon cable. The cable or its connectors (one in the lid and one on the motherboard) are faulty.

Should be a relatively easy job for someone who knows his laptops - About 50 quid fitted.

Edit Just a thought, next time it happens dont move the lid on its hinges, just flex the lid corner to corner to check its not a dodgy panel.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 10 Aug 11 at 09:36
Thanks for that.

I will try flexing the corner.

The panel works fine when it's working, but I suppose that doesn't prove anything.

Laptop hinge problem - RattleandSmoke
You need to be careful it is not one of the higher voltage cables going from the inverter (it depends where the inverter is) I left this problem on my old Dell and I was watching TV on it once and the cable behind the hinge just burst into flames.

If it is just the video cable which in your case it sounds like it is, then there shouldn't be a danger of a fire.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 10 Aug 11 at 12:28
...just burst into flames...

Oo 'eck, hope the damn thing doesn't set light to Iffy Towers while I'm at the caravan.

At least I'd still have the MacBook to do the online insurance claim.

Laptop hinge problem - Zero
Sok, Cameron will put it out with his water cannon.
 Laptop hinge problem - RattleandSmoke
To be fair mine was more of a flame than a fire, but if I wasn't there at the time it would have spread. I simple killed the power and the flame went out. I was more worried about the toxic fumes.
 Laptop hinge problem - Kevin
>You need to be careful it is not one of the higher voltage cables going from the inverter..

The inverter on Lenovo laptops (Thinkpads) is behind the screen bezel.

An intermittent "fuzzy" screen is more likely to be the ribbon cable assembly. Depending on the model, replacements are available from about £10 to £20 and take about half an hour to replace.

There should be instructions on how to replace it on the Lenovo website and maybe even a video.
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 10 Aug 11 at 20:21
Latest Forum Posts