Computer Related > How many computers do you have? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 20

How many computers do you have? - Iffy
And what are they and what do you use them for?

The question occurred to me when I fired up my slightly cranky Lenovo laptop.

I like to have a Windows machine - some sites still don't like Macs - and the larger screen is sometimes useful.

My third computer is a Samsung netbook which is handy for work, although increasingly I prefer to use the MacBook.

How many computers do you have? - rtj70
>> some sites still don't like Macs

Such as....? Have you tried a different browser on the Mac in these circumstances?
 How many computers do you have? - spamcan61
First generation Acer netbook, runs WinXP, mainly used as a music streamer via XBMC.

Dell 6000 WinXP laptop, my everyday 'internet typewriter' and basic photo editing machine

Dell vostro 200 desktop, Win7, used for video recording/editing plus audio and photo editing; currently the main UPnP music server for Spamcan Towers

scrapheap challenge machine, Intel 2003 mobo based desktop with Win XP, built out of old bits and pieces as a challenge. Mostly used for ripping CDs and memory card interfce - it has a better reader than the other machines.
 How many computers do you have? - Iffy
...Such as....? Have you tried a different browser on the Mac in these circumstances?...

Last time I looked, the DirectGov or whatever they call it site could be viewed on a Mac, but it was not possible to do any online form filling.

Rooting around, I found a page which said that part of the site was Windows only, although Mac users could download a form to print and fill in.
 How many computers do you have? - Zero
2 x IBM 486 Thinkpads, loaded with Xp. Not currently used. One will be loaded as a car diag tool with odb reader.
1 x Asus G2S dual core laptop, windows Vista - in use.
1 x Home built I5 desktop with windows 7 - in use as desktop and media server.
1 x home built pentium EE loaded with Ubuntu 10.xx - not used diagnostic machine,
1 x IPAQ 4700 not used.

Nicole has an Asus EEpc netbook

Laddo has a HP laptop of some kind.

How many computers do you have? - Bagpuss
1 x Fujitsu-Siemens ScenicX mini tower with Win XP Pro bought secondhand about 6 years ago and used as an apartment wide uPNP Music Server until replaced with iPod players. Has spent the last years collecting dust.
1 x Dell Latitude laptop with Win XP PRo for work.
1 x Apple iBook G4 laptop with MAC OS X Tiger mainly used for managing the photo and MP3 libraries.
1 x Tosihba Satellite A100 laptop with XP used by Mrs. B.
1 x Asus eeePC 900A netbook with Xandros used by Mrs. B. when travelling.
1 x HP iPAQ with Windows Mobile also used these days mainly as a dust collector.
 How many computers do you have? - RattleandSmoke
Zero you put XP on a 486? Ouch. Ouch.

I couldn't possibly comment how many computers I have, so I will comment on the ones which are in use in the house:-

My main PC -Home built Intel i3 2100 Sandybridge, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, Windows 7, 22" LG 1080p etc - Also have Ubuntu in a virtual machine which I use for disinfecting customers files. Not the highest spec but everything is off high quality, the case, keyboard, mouse etc are all high very good quality.

My netbook - Acer One, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Lubuntu. - Used daily. It surprisingly fast as a web surfer using Chrome.

My mini laptop - Rarely used, PIII 900, 256MB RAM (the max it will take), 20GB HD, XP

Parents PC - Home built, AMD X2 4200, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista, 22" monitor - used 16 hours a day.

Sisters PC - Home built a few years back with a cheap Althlon LE (it is Socket AM2) single core, 1GB ram, 80GB HD, ancient TFT, Windows XP. I never get to service this PC so I suspect its in a right state.

Need to build a cheap machine for my work shop which will use Ubuntu, so it will be either based on an AMD X2 or a Celeron E3400 dual core.

Also have a Socket A based setup with no case, just a case and optical drive which I use for testing DDR1 RAM.

How many computers do you have? - Zero
>> Zero you put XP on a 486? Ouch. Ouch.

Yeah, nothing wrong with that, works fine if you tune it.
 How many computers do you have? - Victorbox
Eight - the trouble is they won't break - even the 13 year old Tiny PC will still work like the day it was new - although Windows 98 isn't much use these days.
 How many computers do you have? - BobbyG
One - a Samsung NC20 Netbook, does everything I require from a PC.

Or it did.

However, it is very ropey on graphics, Youtube stutters a lot and watching dodgy sports channels is almost impossible.

Now thinking that I might, at some time in the future, get a laptop that I can watch video on better and maybe be able to hook up to my TV for watching football through it. Don't know how good a picture that will be though!
 How many computers do you have? - R.P.
My trusty old Gateway widescreen laptop early Vista Home machine which still works well enough but too heavy and cumbersome in reality.

MacBookPro has become my every day computer, running Firefox can be used on al sites I have accessed -

My newly acquired iPad is rapidly becoming my primary surfing tool

My old MESH succumbed to the move, I suspect that having s soaking in Soy sauce didn't help- the hard disk works.
I'f we're doing the entire household then Spamcan junior has a Dell 3000 desktop running XP used for friv and miniclip games, Spamettes Major and Minor have Dell 1545 laptops running Vista HP used for StalkerBook, youtube and music, SWMBO has a Dell 5150 desktop running XP used for surfing/iplayer.

Should get sponsorship from Dell I think.
 How many computers do you have? - VxFan
Got four.

My 7½ yr old desktop Advent 3418 running XP Home SP3.
My 2½ yr old HP Pavilion dv4-1000ea laptop running Vista, that hardly gets used as I am too lazy to get it out the laptop bag and plug it in. Easier to fire up the old desktop.
My datawind Ubisurfer. Bought on a whim, but found it clunky and slow.
My iPhone4. Yes, I class it as a computer as I regularly surf the net and emails with it.

6 if I include the PCs at work. One running XP Pro, and another running Win98.
 How many computers do you have? - zippy
5 laptops including 2 x 17 inch desktop replacements, two are i7, inc 1 for work
2 pcs, one managing the network
1 netbook was for travelling
1 ipad
1 ipod touch (internet and diary managment)
3 other ipods
1 amstrad note thing (proper computer)
1 TRS80 model 100 - the first laptop from 1982 and it still works
 How many computers do you have? - R.P.
I have an old Packard Bell Laptop running XP which may end up as a little project come the winter...

iPhone and a iPod Touch if we're counting those, and I suppose the Kindle might be considered a little computer as well :-)
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 10 Aug 11 at 21:39
 How many computers do you have? - Bromptonaut
2006 Fujitsu - Siemens Amilo laptop for most stuff. A Samsung netbook for travel. Both run XP and will remain in service until either thay break or software compatibility becomes an issue.

Mrs B has a full size Samsung laptop. Inisisted on Vista 'cos XP will soon be superceded' which means it was never fast. Now the cooling fan's on the blink and the whole thing need replacing.

Broptonette has a very neat 14" Toshiba laptop just the right size for university. Bromp junior still uses a generic Dabs/Centronics tower that must be eight years old; he'll get a laptop too now he's going into 6th form
 How many computers do you have? - movilogo
I have only one Windows laptop and one iPad.

>>
>> 1 TRS80 model 100 - the first laptop from 1982 and it still works
>>

Cor, I missed that, coming up for its 30th birthday then, a good innings and no mistake.
Computers for me are:

1 x iMac running Lion
1 x Pentium 4 running XP
1 x Core i5 running Windows 7 64-bit (work laptop)
1 x AMD Athlon XP2400 running XP

Step-sons:

1 x HP laptop running Windows Vista
1 x Compaq laptop running Windows 7
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Aug 11 at 12:01
 How many computers do you have? - merlin
Here you go:

1 x i7 860 Dell running Ubuntu - main server & desktop machine
1 x 17" Sony laptop Win7 - sits on dining room table mostly
1 x 10" EEE Netbook Win7 - goes everywhere :)
1 x Macbook Pro - this was a prize from work which I should have sold on - now connected to TV for viewing video files
1 x amazon hosted VPS running Ubuntu - my mailserver and has fixed IP to access the office - good VPS deal as free for 12 months
1 x VirtualBox running Ubuntu - home based mailserver
1 x VirtualBox running Win7 - rarely powered up now
1 x BBC Micro Model B - sadly never powered up now

Wife:

1 x 17" Sony laptop Win7
1 x 10" EEE Netbook Win7
1 x iPad running xbmc
Last edited by: merlin on Fri 12 Aug 11 at 12:41
I didn't bother naming virtual servers. Most used for work but do have an instance of XP on the iMac which is rarely used. Running in VMWARE Fusion.
Latest Forum Posts