Computer Related > Connected to Wireless Computing Issues
Thread Author: Redviper Replies: 6

Connected to Wireless - Redviper
Hi All

Before I moved onto cable broadband, my excellent ADSL Linksys Wireless router has a feature whereby it would show me who is connected to my router - which was very handy whereby someone, while I was living in my old house cracked the WEP enryption and I was able to boot them of it.

I then changed it to WPA but periodically I like to check - just incase

Ive now moved onto cable broadband and using the Virgin supplied Netgear router which while is not a bad router, it does not have half the features that my Linksys one has.

Ive locked it to WPA, however does any one know of some free software that will allow me to check to see if anyone is connected to my broadband

Many Thanks
Last edited by: Redviper on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 17:23
 Connected to Wireless - spamcan61
The admin account on my netgear dg834g, and i should think most others, has a show connected devices option. All bets are off if ypur isp has custom firmeare in the router.
 Connected to Wireless - Redviper
Hi

Yes its Virgin Media branded firmware,
 Connected to Wireless - FocalPoint
I'd be interested in this, if anything exists. A couple of months ago my usage suddenly and inexplicably exceeded my monthly allowance by a long way. I changed my wireless code and it didn't happen again, but there is a lingering worry...

It is true that I can open a page in my browser to show the BT Home Hub manager, but it's not practicable to keep on going back to this.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 21 Aug 11 at 18:16
 Connected to Wireless - rtj70
Something I thought was very useful on my old Linksys was the ability to only allow certain MAC addresses. On the BT Home Hub I have you cannot do this. In addition to WPA protection, only allowing known MAC addresses to connect was a good safety feature (optional).

I suppose with so many wifi devices in home this feature was not deemed necessary for some reason.

My Home Hub is also a BT/FON hotspot for anyone to use though. I've not opted out as I can use this when out an about if I wanted to.
 Connected to Wireless - FocalPoint
"My Home Hub is also a BT/FON hotspot for anyone to use though. I've not opted out as I can use this when out an about if I wanted to."

Same here - but I understand that a "guest" user of a hub only gets a pretty slow speed.
 Connected to Wireless - rtj70
Correct FP. I think it's possibly as low as 512Kbps. And if your use is high they get lower priority too.
Latest Forum Posts