Computer Related > Can't get page breaks in Excel Workbook Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Can't get page breaks in Excel Workbook - Ambo
The procedure for getting a page break is: click on break point in the left column/ open Page Layout tab/click on Breaks/click Insert Page Break - but it does not work. Can anyone sugest why please? There is no problem with Word documents.
 Can't get page breaks in Excel Workbook - spamcan61
Which version of Excel? In 2003 that works for me, provided you select Page Break Preview from the 'View' menu first.
The version I use is simply called Excel Workbook. I have also got Excel97-2003 Workbook available but it gives the same bad result. View/Preview enables me to move the break line (dark blue) to the correct place then Save but there is still no break as a result. I should add that the problem is fairly new and I have never used View/Preview until you pointed it out.
 Can't get page breaks in Excel Workbook - smokie
Will keep an eye on this thread as I had the same a few weeks back...
 Can't get page breaks in Excel Workbook - Focusless
>> The version I use is simply called Excel Workbook.

Was going to ask what does Help/About say, but I've just tried to find it on the Excel I've got on my work laptop and I've no idea where it is in Microsoft's 'improved' menu system.
>> The version I use is simply called Excel Workbook. I have also got Excel97-2003 Workbook
>> available but it gives the same bad result. View/Preview enables me to move the break
>> line (dark blue) to the correct place then Save but there is still no break
>> as a result. I should add that the problem is fairly new and I have
>> never used View/Preview until you pointed it out.
>>

if I do this in Excel 2003 then dragging the thick blue line changes the area to be printed, not the page breaks (dunno why). To change the page breaks I need to select the column where I want the page break and then right click - 'insert page break'. This confusingly also uses a thick blue line, but now 'page 2' etc. labelling in light grey can be seen on the preview.
>>> if I do this in Excel 2003 then dragging the thick blue line changes the
>> area to be printed, not the page breaks (dunno why). To change the page breaks
>> I need to select the column where I want the page break and then right
>> click - 'insert page break'. This confusingly also uses a thick blue line, but now
>> 'page 2' etc. labelling in light grey can be seen on the preview.

Noted with thanks. I can print pages separately by marking areas separately with the movable line, but not continuously with a single command (as before). There is no response to marking with a click.

I only get "page 1" showing, with no numbers for the other pages.

You mention "column" but it is horizontal breaks I want, not vertical.
Right; so you can't get something like this:-

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lfZ-0hQeeIMPIa7jxUq4Orq-_CIXMP2bLxbmqFmO3Aw?feat=directlink

page break preview mode; selected appropriate row, right click, insert page break

EDIT: your default printer isn't something 'oddball' is it? Unusual default paper size or something? grasping at straws here.....
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 29 Aug 11 at 22:21
Googling the Excel 2007 way of doing things took me here:-

office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/insert-move-or-delete-page-breaks-in-a-worksheet-HP010021539.aspx

Maybe this is a clue?, halfway down the page:-

" Note If manual page breaks that you insert do not take effect, it may be that the Fit To scaling option has been selected on the Page tab of the Page Setup dialog box (Page Layout tab, Page Setup group, Dialog Box Launcher Button image ). To use the manual page breaks, change the scaling to Adjust to instead."
Got it at last! Many thanks for all of the above.
Latest Forum Posts