Computer Related > dead slow broadband... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 32

dead slow broadband... - borasport
Noticeably slow yesterday, and still is now - pages take 15/20 seconds to load, viewing video is a non-starter - it's almost like the old days

provider is Brightview, apparently the line should support up to 3mb, but it is currently running at 0.14mb, that checked from several speed checkers, including Brightview.

Where does the likely problem lie, and is there anything I can do about it ?
 dead slow broadband... - SteelSpark
Could be a lot of things. Are you using a router, have you restarted it and the PC?

Of course, there could also be a problem with the line and/or equipment at the exchange. Can you hear any noise on the phone line?

Have you contacted your ISP and logged a support request?

If I have problems, it typically requires a reboot of equipment at the exchange.

Do you get yours over a phone line or cable?

Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 12:13
 dead slow broadband... - Zero
Restart the router and see what connection speed it negotiates at.

If its a reasonable speed (within your max limits) the problem is with your ISP further down the line.* Check your ISP's page on known outages and issues.

If not, its you, or your line to the exchange.

Firstly disconnect everything else from your line (phones, etc) leaving just your router, and restart that to see what you get.

Use your phone, dial one digit and then listen in the silence for any noise.

*had this with talk talk last week, I had a 15mb negotiated speed, but only downloading at 0.4mbs. They had a backbone issue.

Good advice from Zero but, if you haven't already done so, I would lodge a fault/support request with your ISP now, to get the ball rolling.
I did reboot the router and assorted pc's/laptops prior to posting, nothing made any difference to the speed tests.

Brightview's service status claims all is well, I have a call raised but I anticipate a response saying it's nothing to do with them

No untoward noise on the phone line as far as I can tell
>> Brightview's service status claims all is well, I have a call raised but I anticipate
>> a response saying it's nothing to do with them

If that is their response, then ditch them. An ISP should be doing a proper investigation (which, no doubt, will start will asking you to check various things). It might turn out that it isn't them, but that should only be after they have checked everything, including possibly sending someone to your home.

That said, they seem to have a reasonably good reputation for customer service.

I think they're owned by BT now. Is the service called Madasafish?
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 16:28
>> >> Brightview's service status claims all is well, I have a call raised but I
>> anticipate
>> >> a response saying it's nothing to do with them
>>
>> If that is their response, then ditch them. An ISP should be doing a proper
>> investigation (which, no doubt, will start will asking you to check various things).

You would ditch every ISP in the land then, because its the first response from all of them.

>> >> If that is their response, then ditch them. An ISP should be doing a
>> proper
>> >> investigation (which, no doubt, will start will asking you to check various things).
>>
>> You would ditch every ISP in the land then, because its the first response from
>> all of them.

Nonsense. You must just have bad luck, or judgement, when picking ISPs.

I've spent a lot of time with both PlusNet and BeUnlimited, and they have both always been very thorough in getting to the bottom of problems. Going through problem solving with me, performing their own investigations, getting BT involved when needed, and giving regular updates.
>> I think they're owned by BT now. Is the service called Madasafish?
It is, and I thought they were part of BT, but I saw something recently that suggested they were part of Plusnet

They do have a checklist to work through, amongst other things it involves trying a different router (we've all got more than one router at home, haven't we) , also opening up your BT master socket to look for some test connection, and a load of if/or questions where one of the options always carries the message "I understand that I could be charged if there's a fault with my equipment"

I've tried a wired connection to the router - no difference, and I've tried with the phones disconnected - again, not difference.

Where I'm up to with the brightvierw checklist is the next step is to replace the splitter - now I may have one around, so I'll give that a try, but at a guess splitters either w
>> I did reboot the router and assorted pc's/laptops prior to posting,

and at what speed has the router negotiated at?

>> No untoward noise on the phone line as far as I can tell

have you unplugged everything else from every other socket?
 dead slow broadband... - RattleandSmoke
You need to disconnect the BT master socket and plug it straight into that. I've seen many of these issues being caused by a short in the extension wiring.

We also need to know what speed the router is negotiating at as Zero points out. If it is a decent speed then we know it is not a telephone line issue.

Also with these issues never assume anything, never assume it was working before so it can't be a fault with your wiring.

When I do these tests for customers, around 50% of the time I find the problem is with the customers internal wiring.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 16:55
Z -we have a wireless phone system, so there is only the base station to disconnect

>> and at what speed has the router negotiated at?

If you mena what are the broadband speed checkers telling me, then it's still around 134/140kbps

No not the speed checkers, you need to log into the router and find out what speed the line ADSL signal is connecting at. This way we can find out if it is a problem with the ISP or not.

What router do you have? if you give the the make and model I can tell you exactly how do it.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 17:08
it's a 3com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g firewallrouter
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 17:37
 dead slow broadband... - Dog
BT master socket - remove the cover to gain access to the socket.

www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
which of these

tinyurl.com/6aph3n7

would be the master socket ?
the one on the left is on an external wall in the spare bedroom, the one on the right is on an internal wall in the kitchen
The one on the right, you need to undo those screws.
>> The one on the right, you need to undo those screws.

Hmmm, I didn't read your post properly. It would make more sense if it is on the external wall, but my master socket has always looked like the one on the right.
That's what has always perplexed me, so I've never explored them - the repercussions of screwing up the landline/broadband connection doesn't bear thinking about -right now I'm on call until wednesday and need remote access to my customers, so I can't take risks - slow is better than nothing !

anyway, something has happend while I've been having my monthly bath :-)

just run 2 speed tests and they are averaging 220 kbps, as opposed to previous 140
>> That's what has always perplexed me, so I've never explored them - the repercussions of
>> screwing up the landline/broadband connection doesn't bear thinking about -right now I'm on call until
>> wednesday and need remote access to my customers, so I can't take risks - slow
>> is better than nothing !

Well, in theory, there's no risk. You'll just take the cover off both of them, figure out which one is the master, plug in the router and see if it works.

In practice, you could always dislodge a wire when taking the faceplate off. So, if the phone and connection is super critical, it makes sense to not touch for the time being.
>> the phone and connection is super critical, it makes sense to not touch for the
>> time being.
>>

having been called at 02:30 on friday morning and spending 3/4 of an our on a problem, the idea of being able to say 'sorry, no connection' and go back to bed does have a certain appeal
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 19:14
 dead slow broadband... - Suppose
>> Where does the likely problem lie, and is there anything I can do about it
>> ?
>>

Look up www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=4008&v=f

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 3776 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 20 dB 10 dB
Attenuation 53 dB 46 dB
Those figures suggest everything is ok on the electrical side of things. You need to contact your ISP asap as that is where the problem most likely is.
>> Those figures suggest everything is ok on the electrical side of things. You need to
>> contact your ISP asap as that is where the problem most likely is.

Good job you raised that call earlier ;)

I don't suppose you have had any response yet, have you?
Yup, as Rats said, those numbers say everything looks good on the physical connection twixt you and the exchange (for a max 4meg link)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 17 Sep 11 at 19:18
Whatever it was, it's fixed itself after a good night's sleep - what was 128/378 is now 2432/379 :-)
 dead slow broadband... - rtj70
I hadn't noticed you'd said the send speed was 378kbps... that always suggested the problem was at the ISP end. It was only your download speed that was low.
I missed that one too!. Least it is all sorted now, but if you have this problem again I would switch ISP.
 dead slow broadband... - spamcan61
I had a similar problem a while back, where I ended up with 150 down, 200 up or something similar. Righted itself within 24 hours like Plusnet support said it would. I suspect the algorithm for the rate adaptive ADSL gets confused sometimes when there's a short term break in the connection, and ends up in a downward spiral of download speed, which it then takes a long time to recover from.
I had this problem with a customer a few weeks ago. The download speed was much slower than the upload. Checked the router logs and discovered it kept dropping the signal every five minutes. Swapped the router, still the same problem but was no longer dropping, a couple of days later speeds back up to 20mbps.
anyway, Thanks for everbodies help.

Strange that I can quite happily do without the net if when it isn't there to be had, but when you can access it but at snail speed, it's flippin infuriating.

Anyway, your next task would be to explain the logic of the wiring of my phone system...
Last edited by: borasport on Mon 19 Sep 11 at 18:48
Latest Forum Posts