Computer Related > defrag query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 5

defrag query - borasport
I just thought Id run piriform defraggler on my laptop

the pre defrag analysis says 17% free space, but when I start the defrag, is says it may ber slow as 'you have only 10% real free space' - why the difference ?
 defrag query - ....
Any defragger needs some space to work with while it moves data around so it grabs and reserves it which is why you appear to have lost space.
 defrag query - Zero
The defragger need free "contiguous" space to work quickly. otherwise it just taking fragments, putting it in fragmented space, before it can make a hole big enough to rebuild the file back defragged.

Throws the number of read and write operations through the roof. The old windows defragger would get so clogged in that scenario it would fall over and croak. The fix was to refuse to defrag!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 14:56
 defrag query - smokie
...so if you have some other media you could chuck a big file or two onto, then copy back afterwards, you could help it along.
 defrag query - ....
This is why, with the size of mechanical drives fitted to machines these days, I usually allocate 64GB to C: and chop the rest up for apps, pics and movies.
C: is then the one to look after on a daily, weekly and mnthly basis for performance and the rest can be done as and when required rather than defragging one big lump each time.
 defrag query - ....
Forgot to mention, the reason the space also reduces rather than shift from one place to another is you effectively have a duplicate of data being defragged just incase the machine crashes, power cut, whatever takes it down, so you do not lose your data.
Latest Forum Posts