Computer Related > Buying a new computer is not black and white Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 35

Buying a new computer is not black and white - Iffy
I was underwhelmed with the service I received at PC World in Harrogate this afternoon.

In I walk and ask for a white Samsung netbook NC150, which they have on display.

"None in stock," I'm told.

I go next door to Currys, who have a black one on display.

"We've got no black ones in stock," I'm told. "But PC World next door is showing on the system as having two black ones."

When I asked PC World for a white one, they just said 'no' and showed me the door.

Why didn't someone in PC World think to offer me the black one?

I don't expect super-salesmanship, but this is in the realms of basic customer service.

It's not the biggest sale, but still the neck end of £300, with a bag and a mouse.

If they don't want to sell computers, they shouldn't bother opening.

Buying a new computer is not black and white - Bellboy
theres always special offer vouchers in quality newspapers for things like these
have you considered this approach?
...have you considered this approach?...

No, I wasn't aware of that, although I'm being a bit fussy on the spec, so I'd need a voucher that could be used towards this particular Samsung.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - crocks
If you are happy to buy online then you can save 5% with this "voucher"
www.vouchercodes.co.uk/currys.co.uk
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - Crankcase
With the best will in the world, going to PC World and then complaining about the service is like travelling Ryanair and then complaining about the extra fees for breathing. It goes with the territory.
...going to PC World and then complaining about the service is like travelling Ryanair and then complaining about the extra fees for breathing. It goes with the territory...

I know you're right, but what a shame it is that you are.

I spoke to a young lad in Currys a few years ago who at least was keen and obviously knowledgeable about computing.

But for a lot of the staff, it could be PC World this week, B&Q next week, and a supermarket the week after that.

Yes, but it's analogous to the comments made on the thread about poor service in car dealerships. The star salesmen are the one who sell, not necessarily the ones who know the product. So if PC World can do what they do, and make money by bundling grandma out of the door with fifty quid's worth of Norton Utilities and last year's technology at a high price, then good on 'em and their shareholders. You can keep your employment and training costs down that way.

The other thing that annoys me about these places is the way they put goods on display which they do not have.

I've pointed at two netbooks today and said: "I'll have one of those, please."

Neither shop could oblige.

Same thing happened a few months ago when I tried to buy a printer for the office.

Walk into the shop, look at the goods 'on offer', make a selection, only to be told I can't buy one.

If an employment agency advertises 'driving jobs', when they have none, they are breaking the law.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - swiss tony
Lets look at this in a slightly different way......

In I walk and ask for a white Samsung netbook NC150 which they have on display.

"None in stock " I'm told, ''But we do have a black one!''

Im really annoyed! IF I have wanted a black one surely I would have asked for a black one - I will ONLY accept a white one! IDIOTS!

some times you really can't win with customers.... ;-)
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - bathtub tom
We bought a fridge from one of these sheds when ours packed up last Summer and they were the only place that had one.

SWMBO was looking at the till as the sale went through and could see the prompts coming up. "Please don't ask him if he wants a fridge-fresh" she was willing the sales guy, under her breath......................

Memories of buying a washing machine and the salesman saying "you can balance a glass of wine on this machine when it's spinning and it won't spill a drop"". Me replying "if I wanted something to stand a wine glass on, I'd buy a damn table". We were asked to leave!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 01:15
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - Zero
I used to love the hard sell for extended warranty

HIM "You'll need an extended warranty with that sir, peace of mind for 5 years"

ME (indignant) "YOU WHAT youi are telling me you expect this to break down in the next 5 years - Right thats it - cancel the sale we are out of here"

Retail is hard unrewarding work with people like us about.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - scousehonda
swiss tony

There are different ways of informing a customer. "None in stock but we do have a black one" comes over as 'take it or leave it'. But "I'm sorry, sir, we don't a white one in at the moment. We will be getting them in at the end of the week but I could supply you with a black one straight away, if you're interested" at least sounds as though the salesman is trying.

One other point. Most posters seem to be of the opinion that if you buy from Currys, Dixon's, PC World etc it serves you right if you receive 3rd class service. But where else does one buy from?
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - Redviper
Most posters seem to be of the opinion that if you buy
>> from Currys Dixon's PC World etc it serves you right if you receive 3rd class
>> service. But where else does one buy from?
>>

I bought my latptop from Ebuyer.co.uk*, and recived fantastic service, i was a little wary of buying such a expensive item over T'internet however once i browesed what they had to offer, with a cup of coffee in my hand on Boxing day a few years ago, a few button presses and a brand new laptop was deleivered to me 3 days later.
it also wasnt full of any unnessercary "bloatware" that comes installed from a PC world/Currys/Dixons computer, just a copy of windows and thats it.

I would never ever go into pc world for anything other than a laptop bag or something similer, where i did get a good deal as i got a free mouse with it, but there technical centre only ever offers a Reformat where its not neccsary then charge you for the experience along with a suggestion of insatlling norton**

* I dont work or have anything to do with Ebuyer they genuinely did offer a good service and price

** based on a true experience which when I asked them to install a bigger hard drive let me take the computer home after paying and didnt actually set it up properly so i had to take it back.

Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 12 Apr 10 at 12:24
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - VxFan
When I bought my laptop from PC World (Swindon) I had the fortunate pleasure to talk with the guy from Intel whose knowledge was second to none. I even got the salesman interested when I said I was taking out a warranty on it. What I hadn't told him initially though was that I had a 20% off voucher from the purchase of my previous desktop PC - some kind of loyalty bonus for not making a warranty claim in the 5 years of ownership. The £600 laptop I was looking at already had £100 knocked off of it in the Christmas sales, and the 20% voucher knocked off another £100.
When we buy laptops (about 50 or so a year), we get nearly all of them online from Dabs (aka BT Business Direct). Never had an issue yet.

But if the purchaser doesn't want to deal with mail order, we send them to John Lewis. Yes, they only carry a limited range of the more expensive machines, but their customer service and support is second to none (and often includes things like a free extra year's warranty) so we think it's worth it.

Buying a new computer is not black and white - Zero
JLP will price match Comdix but only the shop price, not online prices.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - movilogo
Staples is usually better than Currys/Comets/PC World etc.

They often do price match as well.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - RattleandSmoke
I have seen both sides of the story. I used to work in Currys part time I so know how it all wroks. I refused to do any sales pater though and I simply made my role into an advisory role rather than a sales person (the manager knew this, but was happy to keep me on as the customers trusted me, would go back and a sales person would then do the trickery).

It was always difficult when a customer came in asking for xx laptop and we had none in stock. The sales staff often wouldn't know x is not in stock until they checked it. The main problem was the warranties I hated trying to sell these as I knew just how much a rip off they were. If they wanted one fine, it didn't cover accident damage which was at least some bonus for the customer.

The main problem was the profit margins on laptops was very small so to make money we had to sell all the crap the customer didn't need. Some of the staff mis sold Norton under the basis if they didn't buy it and the computer got a virus their machine would break and would be useless. The reality was even with Norton these customers still got viruses and it meant some highly irate customers coming in when their machine got the viruses!!

Buying a new computer is not black and white - biker bones
tried to buy a new printer today whilst working down in milton keynes , neither pc world and comet had it in stock . comet sales girl mentioned pay here and we will deliver it wednesday morning . i was 100 miles from home , long trip back to hereford after work so decided to take her advice . couldnt be bothered to look elsewhere .
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - Tooslow
You'd checked the price on Amazon & Google shopping?

JH
dunno if u was referring to me tooslow , but i am one of those who has no credit card or bank card etc , so i dont bother looking .
Sorry biker, I usually address the person i'm errr, addressing. Didn't do it this time. Apologies.
JH
no need to apologise , im still finding my feet here . was a latemover over from the dark side .
Biker, thanks but I've bumped into a few Mr Angrys lately (not on this forum) so I'm doing my bit for web courtesy :-)

JH
>> dunno if u was referring to me tooslow

If you hover your mouse cursor over the up arrow by the start of the subject header it will reveal the post being replied to. (providing he did reply to your post and not put his reply at the end of the thread or tag it onto someone else's)
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - swiss tony
scousehonda,

That was really the point I was trying to make!
Iffy stated he asked for a white machine, and obviously the oink he asked wasn't a 'salesman'!
the problem these days, is that staff in shops such as that are only trained to stitch the customer up (as mentioned by Rattle) not how to advise the customer, explain the options, and close the sale!

I fully agree with you that your 2nd option is the way to go, your 1st option is just plain naff, and the way Iffy was treated loses sales at the time, AND probably in the future too!

In closing, your last point.... this is the problem, there are not many places where customer service is the prime consideration... I have recently been told Im not doing my job correctly (parts advisor in a main dealer - sorry ''retailer'') because i try to advise my customers, and rather than upsell ( I class that as upSET! ) sell just what he requires to do the job.

I would rather a customer spends £5 today and keeps coming back as a regular customer, than rip him off for £50, and he never comes back.....
...parts advisor in a main dealer...

The guy in the Ford dealer couldn't have been more helpful when I went to buy a rear lens for the CC3 recently.

Even my moaning about the price didn't faze him - he'll have heard it all many times before.

My latest attempt to spend money with the Dixon Retail Group failed.

I called into Currys on the outskirts of Durham City and there it was, on the shelf, my Samsung netbook of choice.

But once again, no stock to sell.

Buying a new computer is not black and white - RattleandSmoke
Not DSGi related but this time Morrisons.

I needed some blank CDs to burn some ISOs and I had ran out. I walked down to my local Morrison's and went to the self check out to scan in the item the girl said I cannot do that I would have to pay for it BUT I only want to know the price. She said the check out will do it.

All of them were mad busy and I would be waiting for ever just to be given a stupid price. So I asked a girl who had just put the sign on saying closed if she would quickly scan it in for me as I only wanted to know the price. I am going for dinner.

I was amazed how unhelpful the staff were so slammed my items on her closed belt and walked out.

I drove to ASDA (2.5 miles away so 5 mile round trip) where I got 10 CDs for £2.00. This was at 8:00pm or I would have just got them in my local village.

I am getting very inpatient in some shops these days and I think it is because I worked in one, if staff are not as helpful as I was I just think they don't deserve the custom and walk out.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - MD
If poss' I try and buy Electricals, including my laptop from Comet. Always pleasant service. Wish I could say the same for Curry's.
...from Comet. Always pleasant service. Wish I could say the same for Curry's...

Martin,

There's a temptation to think all these out of town sheds are the same, but I agree with you.

In my experience, Comet staff are better than Currys or PC World.

No matter which shop it is, when I'm just browsing I get fed up with the continual "can I help you?" from the staff, but when I actually want to ask a question there is no one to be found or they're too busy harrassing other customers with the same question.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - Bellboy
just been in maplins what a breath of fresh air
friendly knowledgeable staff
i have a problem and they are going to ask their tech dept and get back with an answer
superb.....
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - smokie
You can ask product questions on their site too and read other people's questions and Maplins answers - It's in the product detail page - see example here www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=257318&source=1
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - spamcan61
I've used that a few times, I exchanged a few emails with a guy there when I noticed they had mixed up to different PVR models' features in the "people's questions" for one of them and they sorted it out quickly.
 Buying a new computer is not black and white - JohnM{P}
I've bought 2 laptops from laptopsdirect.com. Cheap prices, fast delivery. The first time I bought, the (telephone) assistant said 'Wait a minute', then came back to tell me I didn't need the add-on I was enquiring about - so I subsequently bought the second laptop from them.
Latest Forum Posts