Computer Related > memory upgrading Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 7

memory upgrading - devonite
At the moment my computer has 2gb ddr2 memory,in slot 1, with 3 other empty slots.I am thinking of going for 4gb, so would it be best to get a matching 2gb module, or go for 4x1gb modules, is there any advantages performance-wise between the two methods,or at the end of the day is it just 4gb ?

cheers!
 memory upgrading - spamcan61
i'd use the Crucial memory checker tool to see what your options are, on a domestic desktop PC I doubt if using two 2Gb sticks, even unmatched, will cause issues.

www.crucial.com/uk/

Now is probably a good time to upgrade as DDR2 prices are on an upwards trend. Don't expect huge speed gains from the extra 2GB mind you.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 14:18
 memory upgrading - RattleandSmoke
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows you will only be able to use 3.5GB anyway.

This thread reminds me, I must stock on up on some DDR2, I get through loads of the stuff.
 memory upgrading - rtj70
To answer the question we'd need to know what motherboard is in the PC. It's probably got dual channel memory. Some motherboards colour code the two pairs of slots differently to the other two. So slot 1 and 3 would be say blue and 2 and 4 black.

If it is dual channel and you only have 32-bit Windows then I'd just stick a single 2Gb DDR2 DIMM in. If it is dual channel there is no advantage of putting in 4 x 1Gb vs 2 x 2Gb. If it's not dual channel then you might want to consider upgrading to just 3Gb. As Rattle says you're only likely to see 3.5Gb in 32-bit Windows.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 24 Oct 11 at 15:59
 memory upgrading - Iffy
Let us know if 4GB makes any difference - opinions vary.

Ah right! - thats the info i was looking for!
my comp has got 2xblue and 2xblack, with the current 2gb stick in slot 1 (blue) so i think i`ll just get a single 2gb stick for slot2 (blue) seeing as theres not going to be much advantage to be gained by the other method. Crucial doing 2gb for £20, quick look on Ebay then order going in!

thanks all!
>>Let us know if 4GB makes any difference - opinions vary.

New memory came this morning and worked straight out of the box!

Opening programs seems a bit quicker, but once open, seem to be about the same, the biggest effect i have noticed is the dramatic change in boot-up speed.
Windows xp sp3 boots from power-on to Google home page in 46.8 seconds (timed on the stop-watch of my trusty Nokia 3310) and thats with Avast AV loaded! (not updated though!).
The "walking blue dots" used to walk about nine/ten times across, now Three and a quarter times before the"Welcome" screen.
So yep! for about £20quid i`m more tham happy!
 memory upgrading - spamcan61
>> If you have a 32-bit version of Windows you will only be able to use
>> 3.5GB anyway.
>>
True, but as the difference between buying 1Gb and 2GB is less than a tenner I'd stick 2GB in anyway.
Latest Forum Posts