Computer Related > Software problem Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 9

Software problem - FocalPoint
I've been using Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0 SE, which is a free program for editing RAW photo files. From time to time there are updates and usually I manage to install these. However, the latest one has me stumped.

I downloaded the new installation file. The instructions on the website say I must uninstall the existing copy before I can install the new one.

However, Windows Control Panel won't let me do this. It just sits there. So I deleted the ISL directory (with the Silkypix exe file in it) from the Programs folder and have deleted everything else I can find that is connected with Silkypix.

When I try to run the installation of the new version it says it cannot do so, as there is a version already on the computer, quoting {0A04086B-0B71-43C3-95EF-FDFC4C18D161}. (Not sure if the symbol 0 is a zero or capital O.) Something to do with the registry?

I am completely out of my depth if it's a matter of editing the registry. Any help appreciated!
 Software problem - spamcan61
Sounds like, because a 'clean' uninstall couldn't be carried out you have indeed ended up with registry keys related to Silkypix that are preventing an upgrade.

Registry editing is indeed a bit scary as the registry is fundamental to the way Windows works. First thing I would do at this point is create a system restore point, so that worst case you should be able to get the system back to where you are now.

Then I'd use CCleaner or similar to do a registry cleanup, it may remove the redundant keys:-

www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/registry-cleaning

If that doesn't work then I'd grit my teeth and use Regedit to directly edit the registry, deleting the aforementioned key After creating a backup copy of the registry.

techie-buzz.com/how-to/how-to-use-regedit.html
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 26 Oct 11 at 12:31
Thank you, SC.

I use CCleaner regularly and unfortunately it doesn't help with the problem I'm having.

If I understand correctly, creating a system restore point will create a copy of the registry?

I have opened regedit, but cannot find any reference to Silkypix, much less find the key I want (I'm assuming what I quoted above IS a registry key?) Any clues as to how I find it? There's a hell of a lot of stuff in the registry!
 Software problem - borasport
FP - are you using the 'registry' option in CClleaner as opposed to the 'cleaner' option ?

IMHO, CCleaner is usually pretty good at these things
BS - yes, it's the registry facility in CCleaner. Just tried it again, to be sure. No use.

Zero - found the "find" option, ran it, but I don't understand the results. Two panes open, the left of which is a list of ?keys, the middle one of which is

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInstallerProductsB68040A017B03C3459FEDFCFC4811D16

and on the right a pane which seems to be the contents of the above key/folder or whatever it is. It won't let me copy this, but it's in three columns, headed "Name" "Type" "Data".

One of the entries here says: "ProductName | REG_SZ | SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE"

I really don't know what I'm dealing with and don't understand the way the registry works.

Could I also ask again, does creating a restore point also make a copy of the registry, or do I (somehow, don't know how) make a separate cope of it?
Meant to add:

One of the entries here says: "ProductName | REG_SZ | SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE"

Is this something to do with the old program (which was called SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 SE) or just the installer's attempt to install the new version?
 Software problem - spamcan61
Probably the latter, but after backing up the registry I'd delete any key with 'silkypix' in the name anyway, reboot then try to install the new version. To delete a key click on it in the L/H pane, right click and select 'delete'.
 Software problem - Zero
Using find it steps through the registry in turn, you search for a reference, i your case silky pix, delete the entire reference in the single key, then search again. There are many keys all do different things that might all have connection with silkypix. There will not be just one entry,
 Software problem - Zero
ITs not as scary as it sounds tho you can easily screw up your machine
As said backup the registry, make a restore point and then run regedit.

Regedit has search functions so search for any silkypix entries and delete those keys

Sorry not to have updated this thread, but I've been away for several days.

With some trepidation I followed the advice above and found one registry key, which I deleted.

After that the installation was able to proceed successfully, though, oddly, I ended up with the Spanish-language version, despite opting for English. I re-ran the installation and now I am back in business.

Many thanks to those who helped. I read up a bit about how the registry works and am now a little better informed about computers..
Latest Forum Posts