Computer Related > Virus infection (says Avast!) Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 6

Virus infection (says Avast!) - FocalPoint
I did a boot-time scan earlier today. Avast! has removed the following to its virus chest:

SupportIO.class Java:Agent-XO[Expl]
SupportPipe.class Java:Agent-XQ[Expl]
SupportSmartyPointer.class Java:Agent-XR[Expl]
SupportSocket.class Java:Agent-XS[Expl]

The location af all these was:
C:UsersChrisAppDataLocalLowSunJavaDeploymentcache6.05842ab0
cfa-641ebac7

My questions are: should I be worried? Are there likely to be any repercussions? What behaviour have I unwittingly indulged in that has laid me open to this? (I'm pretty conscious about security.)

I can find out nothing that means anything to me about this virus.
 Virus infection (says Avast!) - RattleandSmoke
Yes be very worried, this is a Java exploit which can be used to install rootkits and all sorts of nasties.

Remove the infections.

Delete the entire Java foler (the one in app data) and reinstall it.

Ideally you want to do a scan using Kaspersky rescue CD but its not very easy to use if you're not a tech.

Thank you, Rattle.

There was an old version of Java on my PC, which I have deleted. I have updated the remaining version. I have emptied the cache.

Not sure what you mean by "delete the entire Java folder" and how would I reinstall it?

Anything else I need to do?

Where did this virus come from?
 Virus infection (says Avast!) - RattleandSmoke
Sorry just popping out but will reply in more detail later, it came via a bug with an out of date Java installation. Basically you need to keep Java updated all the time or the risk is getting infected is high.

I meant delete the Java folder in the e.g app data folder which is hidden by default

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 3 Nov 11 at 17:04
 Virus infection (says Avast!) - Zero
>> I did a boot-time scan earlier today. Avast! has removed the following to its virus
>> chest:
>>
>> SupportIO.class Java:Agent-XO[Expl]
>> SupportPipe.class Java:Agent-XQ[Expl]
>> SupportSmartyPointer.class Java:Agent-XR[Expl]
>> SupportSocket.class Java:Agent-XS[Expl]
>>

Chris ( i know your name is Chris BTW cos you just told us your user name on your PC)

No you dont need to be worried, your AV has triggered because it has found these out of date java class libraries and knows they can be exploited.

It is wise tho to remove your old Java (thro add / remove programmes), check that the above path and entry has been deleted, and then reload and reinstall Java.

Keep java updated.
"Chris ( i know your name is Chris BTW cos you just told us your user name on your PC)."

I was ChrisPeugeot before I was FocalPoint.

But thanks for the reassurance. It seems I have done the right things so far.
 Virus infection (says Avast!) - devonite
believe it or not, i had to download a programme today to open an online insurance document in .JSP, i tried Netbeans ide, during installation this needed a a JDK file (some sort of Java platform) and as i was installing that, Avast was going crackers!. I binned both programmes and found the info ineeded by using notepad!
Latest Forum Posts