Computer Related > Has my memory card died? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 7

Has my memory card died? - Mike Hannon
I use one of those tiny SD cards to take pictures off my phone and transfer to the computer. When I tried to do it today it wouldn't work in the phone and the computer said it hadn't been ejected properly last time and to go to Finder, identify the drive and eject it properly. Well, it doesn't show up anywhere and doesn't work through any of my adapters. Does this mean it has died? There was nothing on it because I only use it for transferring but if I could make it live again it would save me having to brave Carrefour, which I hate.
Any advice please?
 Has my memory card died? - VxFan
Have you tried reformatting it?
 Has my memory card died? - rtj70
Try plugging it in to the Mac again and then going to:

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Does it show up in there? I am assuming you're putting this Micro SD card into an adapter and plugging it in the Mac?
It doesn't show up in disk utility. I've tried connecting it with its USB adaptor and in a normal SD adaptor. The 'busy' light on the card multi-reader flashes when I put it in then goes off. The phone sometimes shows the little sign that shows it is fitted and sometimes not. When it is aware the card is fitted it still won't work. But it invariably flashes up a message when I take it out again!
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to instruct me on how to re-format it - am I right in thinking I can't do it if nothing recognises it is there?
 Has my memory card died? - rtj70
If it's not recognised then you can't format it.

With the low cost of these things... buy another and forget about it?
Yup that's about it I guess - I just hate going in Carrefour and that's about the only place round here that is likely to actually have something in stock when it says it does!
 Has my memory card died? - Zero
You say its a tiny SD card? I assume then you are using an SD adaptor? that could be faulty.

If it were mine I would stick it in a camera and get that to format it.

Can you buy stuff from 7day shop? got a uk registered credit card?

They have the cheapest Memory cards around.

www.7dayshop.com
 Has my memory card died? - FocalPoint
I had a similar problem with a camera memory card. It wasn't recognised by the PC nor the camera. I used a paid-for file recovery program, which did work (though it took for ever), recovering the pictures, and I was then able to reformat the card.

However, since I switched to SanDisk memory cards and stopped using cheapo card readers (I couldn't decide which of the two was causing the problem) I have had no recurrence of the issue.
Latest Forum Posts