Computer Related > Broadband and Phone Packages Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 31

Broadband and Phone Packages - Duncan
I am currently with TalkTalk for broadband and landline phone. I thinking of changing, what does the team think is a good package?

I don't need TV and I am concerned with cost.

Any suggestions please?
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Focusless
Cost was one of my main concerns. I'm with O2, the Allrounder package:
www.o2.co.uk/broadband

That's £25 for (up to) 20Mb unlimited download and landline (no extra line rental to add), and a decent router. I only pay £20 because I use O2 for my PAYG mobile.

No problems so far, and when I have rung with minor queries, it's been answered by a UK (or possibly Irish) call centre.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - AnotherJohnH
beware traffic management:

broadband.o2.co.uk/home/trafficmanagement.jsp

>> beware traffic management:

Fair point, although it hasn't affected me.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Falkirk Bairn
I am with AOL/TalkTalk and the support is not good but when it is working its fine - 6 Mb.

Others Sky, BT seem around 3/4 Mb - I would save £5/£7 per mth as I already have SKY HD etc but the downgrade from 6 to say 3 is not worth it.

Virgin would give me 50Mb but it is way too dear
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Fenlander
I've mentioned before I was with a small provider that were absorbed by Talk Talk and things soon went downhill.

Now with BT at the new place. They did drive me mad initially with difficulty getting the line/broadband on the exact day I wanted. Once that hurdle was behind us the service, admin and speed/reliability have been good.

I've just put the phone down from Talk Talk who in 8wks and around 4 phone calls can't seem to understand I gave them notice and moved so do not receive their service any more. Today's letter from them says a debt collection agency will be involved. Idiots.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - bathtub tom
I'm with BT, they seemed the best price around as I wanted the 24/7 free landline calls package. I pay the line rental annually in advance for a reduced rate. They've just offered me BT vision TV package for a quid a month.

The monthly ten gig limit can be a little restrictive.
>>>They've just offered me BT vision TV package for a quid a month.

Unless you already have a facility that the vision box duplicates then go for it. We pay £4/mth and even that's a bargain for the useful way it's changed our viewing habits.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Dulwich Estate
BT Vision.........@£4 / month.

For footy fans, you can dump Sky and pay BT £18 / month for Sky Sports 1 and 2.

The footy contract is a rolling one month one and I'm just giving it a trial.

PS Sky wants about £45, but you do get a bit, a little bit, more for your money.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Thu 10 Nov 11 at 15:48
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Zero
>> I am currently with TalkTalk for broadband and landline phone. I thinking of changing, what
>> does the team think is a good package?
>>
>> I don't need TV and I am concerned with cost.
>>
>> Any suggestions please?

If you are concerned with cost, Talk Talk with a combined line rental, inclusive call package and broadband is the place to stay.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - geoff1248
I have also been thinking of moving from Talk Talk over to Sky just for phone and broadband. Don't want their TV but do want their unlimited and unthrottled broadband. However upon phoning Talk Talk I was told that if I left them then I couldn't take my phone number with me. Basically it is their phone number and they would not release it for reallocation. Sounded like a scam so I phoned Sky for confirmation and they confirmed that Talk Talk do indeed do this.
So if you want to retain your current phone number beware....
Just had a session on the phone with TalkTalk in South Africa.

Ignoring the special offers which last 3 months, their best deal is £13.80 pm line line rental plus £14.50 for the 'Plus' package, a total of £28.30 per month.

Too much methinks, I will look elsewhere.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - CGNorwich
Surprised if you can get the same package cheaper
>> Too much methinks, I will look elsewhere.

O2 is cheaper but you don't get quite so much; the Talktalk package does look like good value if you're not (and don't want to be) an O2 mobile customer.

Moneysaingexpert: www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Pat
I decided to stay with Tiscali when they offered me phone and broadband for £20.20 per month, that includes free evening and weekend calls, caller display etc.

Pat
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Robin O'Reliant
My Talk Talk bill is around £25 a month, phone and broadband plus free anytime calls.
>> My Talk Talk bill is around £25 a month, phone and broadband plus free anytime
>> calls.
>>

Is your exchange LLU or non-LLU?
mine is25 quid a month and I am a LLU. If you are where I think you are Duncan, so are you.
My exchange is in Claygate, which is not unbundled - so I am told.
Claygate does not have an exchange. If you mean the one at Hare lane nnext to Claygate station, that is Esher Exchange.

Its is LLU by talk talk, Sky/easynet and O2/be

Also Virgin has some of your area cabled.

After much searching - and help from posters on this forum, I have switched.

To Plusnet. Plusnet Value Broadband + Talk Anytime. Half price broadband for nine months £18.73 for the first nine months. £239.50 first years cost.

TalkTalk didn't seem to want to negotiate and I was fed up with trying to understand people speaking to me from South Africa. For possibly illogical reasons, I have an aversion to giving money to Murdoch or Branson.

So Plusnet it is. Their call centre is in Sheffield, I hope I don't need it too much.
does that include your phone rental?
Yes.
did you pay extra to loose the 10gb month limit?
No. I don't need a higher limit.
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Dog
Fumbs up to Plusnet para mi, been with them for a number of years now for bb, line rental, eve/wkend calls package,

0800 tech help which I've found to be very helpful whenever I've had to call upon their services.
What's the monthly cost after the initial half-price offer runs out?

EDIT: £23.64, if my maths is correct?
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 15 Nov 11 at 08:29
 Broadband and Phone Packages - Dog
>>What's the monthly cost after the initial half-price offer runs out?<<

If that question is to me Focus, my latest bill is for £19 all in but I'm on a reduced bb charge after having requested a MAC earlier in the year :)
>> >>What's the monthly cost after the initial half-price offer runs out?<<
>>
>> If that question is to me Focus

Sorry, it was meant for Duncan. But thanks anyway - gives some idea of their margins.

BTW like the name :)
That is one of those films I end up watching whenever I spot it flicking through the channels.
>> No. I don't need a higher limit.

Do you know how much you use a month now?
>> Do you know how much you use a month now?
>>

I checked a few days ago and I had used 0.74 gig in ten days IIRC.

Where I tripped up on download limits and a recent move/isp change was that our new service is 8x faster than the old so data cascades into the PC and what seemed a reasonable 10gb allowance was used in a week.
Latest Forum Posts