Computer Related > Wireless (wifi) adapter Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 8

Wireless (wifi) adapter - Focusless
We've just moved the desktop PC upstairs, away from the router. I was going to network it using a spare homeplug (powerline) box - we've already using them to connect stepson's PC which is also upstairs - but I've just found out that the 2 spares we did have have left the building.

Homeplugs seem to work pretty well, but aren't that cheap. Can anyone recommend a good wireless adapter, for under £20? It only needs to carry internet traffic ie. 20Mbps would be fine, as long as it's a reliable 20Mbps.

Other suggestions welcome of course.
I would also prefer the adapter to plug into the PC's ethernet socket rather than USB - not sure it's that important, but I've read that some USB adapters don't work well when being used for online gaming which son is into.
 Wireless (wifi) adapter - Zero
>> I would also prefer the adapter to plug into the PC's ethernet socket rather than
>> USB - not sure it's that important, but I've read that some USB adapters don't
>> work well when being used for online gaming which son is into.

I have used this with great success when the router had to be moved.

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9255124/Trail/searchtext%3EWIFI.htm

Wireless (wifi) adapter - RattleandSmoke
The best thing to do is to get a PCI or PCI Express one which goes inside the computer, far more reliable.

I had an access point which plugs into the ethernet socket and gives the PC wireless internet access via the ethernet port but it was a bit of a pain to setup and required restarting if I plugged a different PC into it.

Catted this out out fully now with RJ45 sockets everywhere, as there is no substitute to pure Ethernet. I do use wireless on my netbook though and would be fine for general use, but my job means I need proper Ethernet sockets everywhere.
 Wireless (wifi) adapter - Fenlander
For about 6mths we've had the PC the other end of the house from the router using the same Netgear wifi device Zero linked to. Good speed and reliability... no complaints at all.
 Wireless (wifi) adapter - spamcan61
To sustain 20Mbs over any distance/through walls you'll need an N access point as well as N dongle IMHO.
 Wireless (wifi) adapter - Fenlander
I assume the online speed tests I've carried out with the current wi-fi setup would be restricted if my wi-fi was a choke point??

Current speed is 11.9mbs which is 50% better than the BT average in our village.
Just setup the Netgear N150 after a trip to Argos - good price, especially with a £5 off voucher I had.

Installation was painless - just installed the 'standalone driver' rather than the full setup, don't know what I'm missing - and Windows (7 32 bit) is showing 65Mbps for the connection. Downloads certainly seem ok. Upstairs room containing PC is pretty much above the room downstairs containing the router so it's probably not too bad a signal path.

Thanks to Z and others.
 Wireless (wifi) adapter - rtj70
>> I assume the online speed tests I've carried out with the current wi-fi setup would be restricted if my wi-fi was a choke point??

Correct. If wifi is only giving 11.9Mbps then that might be the limiting factor. Try it with a wired connection. But it's just as likely to be your broadband connection being the limiter.
Latest Forum Posts