Computer Related > Thomas Cook website down? Computing Issues
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 11

Thomas Cook website down? - rtj70
Trying to get on to the thomascook website and it's not responding. And hasn't been for a day or so (from home at least). So maybe this is a BT routing issue? But I've tried via Vodafone on my mobile and the proxies at work too.

Anyone able to do me a favour and check if this is working for you? I've tried switching from BT's DNS to OpenDNS to see if the name resolution was to blame but the same IP address is being resolved. If I ping the site I get a request timeout.

I've tried www.thomascook.de and www.thomascook.nl and they both work.
 Thomas Cook website down? - Iffy
This address has just popped up OK on my Mac/Firefox:

www.thomascook.com/?sinav=topnav_home_TC
I get a no response on BT broadband. But also on Vodafone and on the work proxy servers.

If you were to open a command prompt (terminal session on the Mac) and type:

ping www.thomascook.com

what IP address does it actually ping?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 13:37
 Thomas Cook website down? - Zero

packets sent 4, lost 4.

yet www.thomascook.com works fine.

Sounds like a DNS / Redirection problem to me.
Same IP address that my machine resolves. This wasn't working at home the day before yesterday. Was yesterday morning. And isn't again now.

If it was only my BT broadband then I'd phone them up. But this also does not work from the company proxies or my Vodafone smartphone (wifi turned off of course).
Ping of course might not work if ICMP is blocked. But I was more interested to know what others thought the IP should be.
 Thomas Cook website down? - R.P.
Works fine in Anglesey - now my Broadband issues have been fixed !
...If you were to open a command prompt (terminal session on the Mac) and type...

Terminal session?

Afraid you've lost me already.
Think I've found it:

PING www.thomascook.com.nsatc.net (77.242.240.99): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4....

and so on, and so on.
Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 14:06
 Thomas Cook website down? - bathtub tom
Why would the OP want to pay the inflated prices agents like Thomas Cook charge. Since my last, disastrous holiday with one of the major players, I now wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Myself and other family members have had far better service from www.lowcostholidays.com/ apart from one glitch with their transfers.

There's probably equally good companies out there.
I've never had a problem with Thomas Cook. And sometimes I'd say their prices are reasonable. Thanks for the other link which I'll look at.

Edit: The destination we want isn't on there. And not many tour companies (or flights) go there either. Perhaps why we like Lesvos so much. Thomson pulled out of where we want to go this year because they are going only half board type packages - and there's nowhere doing that in the town we want to return to.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 15:34
 Thomas Cook website down? - borasport
I've been having assorted issues from home all week - according to Madasafish/Plusnet -
""Created: 07/11/2011 @ 15:27
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

This has now been confirmed as a global routing issue affecting ISPs across the world. It seems to have been caused by a number of core routers erroring.""

strange it doesn't affect browsing from work and nobody else appears to have mentioned it ;-)

Latest Forum Posts