Computer Related > Powerline Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Powerline - BobbyG
Our shops have a computerised till in them connected to a router. It is not allowed to be a wireless router due to credit card regs preventing this.

We now want to set up a computer in the back office and connect to the net.

The options that have been given to us are

buy a long cable to connect back office to router or
buy powerline adaptors that allow the broadband to be transmitted through the mains circuit.

Has anyone used these powerline adaptors as they seem to be the ideal solution?
Another issue I may have is that it is a big shop which has been extended / renovated at various points - how do I check that all power sockets are running off the same circuit as I assume this would need to be the case?

Any advice appreciated.
 Powerline - Zero
Yes I use powerline adaptors at home, I have the Netgear ones.

www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/simplesharing/XETB1001.aspx

Work fine as long as they are not on trailing extension sockets - plug them directly into the wall sockets.

If you have one meter, you are on one circuit,

You will need to set up the encryption / security utility that comes with them, to stop people hacking in with another power line adaptor.
 Powerline - Focusless
We've used powerline adapters at a couple of houses, and have had no problems connecting PCs at different ends of the building on different levels. In the current house I'd be surprised if the PC upstairs (not the one in the other thread), which is in an extension, is on the same circuit as the powerline box next to the router downstairs, but I'm not an electrician. Have also used them plugged into 4-ways.

Our boxes are Devolo 85Mbps units; when I was looking for another pair the cheapest I could find were these:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380382945419

EDIT: just one meter so it is one circuit
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 14:51
 Powerline - Fenlander
Another satisfied user of powerline adapters... and ours work fine with extension leads.
 Powerline - rtj70
If the till has to connect to the router directly... can the PC still not use wireless? Just a thought. If it's an easy cable run then a long Ethernet cable is probably a quick, simple and cheap solution.

Does the router have a switch built in? Are there spare ports.
 Powerline - R.P.
Another vote - I had a pair with the BT Vision box - excellent bit of kit. Zero might he;p me here - can you use more than one on a circuit ? (Logic suggests to me that it will work)
 Powerline - Zero
Depends ont he make, but usually Yes.

The netgear ones for example can be configured to 16
 Powerline - RattleandSmoke
I find power over Ethernet works well on old Wylex style fuse boxes, but if the consumer is a modern split load type there is a lot more variables introduced which can effect the reliability.

For something as critical as a till, I would only consider Ethernet.
 Powerline - Fursty Ferret
>> I find power over Ethernet works well on old Wylex style fuse boxes, but if
>> the consumer is a modern split load type there is a lot more variables introduced
>> which can effect the reliability.
>>
>> For something as critical as a till, I would only consider Ethernet.
>>

Power over ethernet is a completely different thing (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PoE). I have a Belkin pair which work fine, but agree with Rattle that for sheer reliability you might as well just run ethernet cable.

Having said all that, it's slightly concerning that the credit card company forbid wireless in the first place, since the transaction should be completely encrypted regardless of the data connection.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 11 Nov 11 at 16:10
 Powerline - Zero

>> Having said all that, it's slightly concerning that the credit card company forbid wireless in
>> the first place, since the transaction should be completely encrypted regardless of the data connection.

They don't forbid wireless, if they did several million hand held credit card readers would be thrown in the bin overnight and restaurants would go bust.
 Powerline - Fursty Ferret
>>
>> >> Having said all that, it's slightly concerning that the credit card company forbid wireless
>> in
>> >> the first place, since the transaction should be completely encrypted regardless of the data
>> connection.
>>
>> They don't forbid wireless, if they did several million hand held credit card readers would
>> be thrown in the bin overnight and restaurants would go bust.
>>

I thought that was obvious. The restriction presumably concerns the link from the base station - regardless of whether there's a wireless connection to the card reader or not.

>> It is not allowed to be a wireless router due to credit card regs preventing this.
 Powerline - RattleandSmoke
Meant Ethernet over power :). Was a typo just very busy replying to threads while fixing four different computers at the same time.
 Powerline - sherlock47
I have had problems in the past with BT adaptors that were on separate rings in the same house. IIRC correctly I reconfigured the consumer unit(s) so that the rings were connected to adjacent postions on the same consumer unit. That solved the problems. I have also seen problems in a large house where they would not work sufficiently fast enough to stream video.
 Powerline - Slidingpillar
Should not be an issue with a shop, but be aware nearly all power-line type data adaptors produce radio interference at a low level. So if you or a neighbour are a radio amateur or listen to distant broadcast stations (MW or SW) you might regret it.

Mains wiring is not designed for frequencies other than 50 hertz.
 Powerline - ....
I use powerline adaptors to connect my two routers in the house.
It works OK but depending on what load is on the circuit can result in a 50% drop in bandwidth.
I'm considering running a 100m patch cable between the two routers which will give me a more reliable connection.
Latest Forum Posts