Computer Related > Disc Boot Failure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 100

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
For the lasy week or so my PC has made a strange whining noise when booting up in the morning, and for the last couple of days I've had to deliver a good thump on the top, rear of the case to get it to stop.

This morning it made the same noise but all I got was a black screen saying
'Disc boot failure. Insert system disc and press enter' with a flashing cursor as if in CMD mode.

I don't have a system disc, so as this was pre my first cup of coffee, I switched it off and on again and it booted up, noise free and without a problem.

Most important question is do I switch it off again?

After that has been answered, what can I do to rescue all of the work and the charity stuff on here if this is a real problem?

I think I have an icy box somewhere and some old drives from old PC's...would that be an option.

I have googled the message and there are numerous replies but most involve booting from the disc, or talk about the BIOS which I'm less than confident of messing about with.

TIA

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...what can I do to rescue all of the work and the charity stuff on here if this is a real problem?...

Can't help with the technical problems, but have you backed-up to a separate USB drive?

If the machine will still do it, that will at least safeguard the data until you get a proper fix.

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I've got a USB drive but it's full of stuff for FT training sessions that I can't delete.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
Worth backing up the data on the PC anyway, so I think it might be an Amazon job for another drive.

www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Expansion-Portable-Drive/dp/B001XM4P1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323416307&sr=1-1

Disc Boot Failure - Zero
No dont turn it off, there is a chance you may never get it back again. If your work is important it should be backed up anyway - data loss can pounce at any time without warning, luckily you got a warning.

As the iff says, new USB drive, back up your data, then consider your options. Repair or replace. How old is it?
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
About 4 years old, I think.

I've created a bootable disc and I'm using the HP diagnostics tool to check the drive as we speak.

I can't get anywhere to get a USB stick today so can I use the icy box and back it up onto an old drive that I have?
Do I back up everything?

I've looked in the event log but it doesn't appear to have logged the failed boot up....I think I'm being incredibly thick here, it wouldn't. would it?

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 08:47
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...I can't get anywhere to get a USB stick today...

For future reference, some computers won't back up easily to a stick, so you need a portable USB drive, of the type I linked to earlier.

Apart from anything else, a stick is unlikely to have enough capacity.

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Both memory and disc stress test passed with no problem.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> Both memory and disc stress test passed with no problem.
>>
>> Pat

Means nothing really. Sounds to me like your disk is refusing to start spinning from cold. Its warm now it will be fine. Might not be after 5 hours turned off.
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...Sounds to me like your disk is refusing to start spinning from cold...

Hair dryer job tomorrow morning, Pat.

Disc Boot Failure - Zero
We developed a wrist flick technique where I worked. The head would stick to the disk platter when cold, and the disk couldn't start. Or if it did, would rip off the head.

Take one disk in the flat of your hand, and with a spinning motion, flick the disk away from you once or twice.

Place in machine, boot as a slave, take off data, charge £5k for "complex data recovery"
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero

>> I've looked in the event log but it doesn't appear to have logged the failed
>> boot up....I think I'm being incredibly thick here, it wouldn't. would it?

Not it wouldnt, because it didnt, if that makes sense.

For an event log to have been written the tool that writes the event log needs to have booted. It didnt so it hasnt. A boot failure likes that means nothing has started.

As far as what to back up?

Export your browser favourites, and for your stuff?, assuming you save stuff where windows suggests it will be in your document folder. Back up the entire documents folder. Any drive you can "see" with the pc ( as long as its not the one that's failing) that has space will do.

Dont forget to write down any saved passwords.

Disc Boot Failure - Hard Cheese

>> I've had to deliver a good thump on the top, rear of the case to get it to stop.

This morning it made the same noise but all I got was a black screen saying
'Disc boot failure. Insert system disc and press enter' with a flashing cursor as if in CMD mode.>>

Could be that there is nothing wrong with the h/d, the noise could be a fan or simply internal vibration and the boot failure could have been caused by your thump.

If there is any question though dont rely on it and make sure all is backed up.

Disc Boot Failure - ....
Only thing I would add to Z's comment is to backup your desktop too if you keep stuff there.

If memory serves me right you have an HP Pavilion around the same vintage as mine c.summer 2008. I have an HP a6539.de which makes a funny noise on startup, I've had the odd boot error but the main noise seems to be coming from the cooling fan on the PSU.

Have you applied the harddisk drivers from HP ? There was a Seagate Firmware update sometime back in 2009 I think.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Mine is the HP a6525UK.

The noise does seem to come from the cooling fan that's why a thump above it has stopped it doing it.

I keep most things on my desktop and am just in the process of copying everything to disc as the Icy Box isn't compatible with Vista....reminds me of how old it is now:)

I'll have a look at the drivers from HP, I assumed it was set to do it automatically but may not be.

As always my problem is how to back up and restore a full copy of my emails. I use Windows Mail and don't know if they use *dbx folders as outlook express did.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
If it's live mail you are using you can just backup the folder the mails are stored in.
If you move to a new machine create the mail folder then drop the contents from your backup into the new folder. I've done this a few times now.
 Disc Boot Failure - bathtub tom
Block that level crossing for Zeddo and he'll probably come and sort it for you (you may have to promise not to cook him anything).
 Disc Boot Failure - rtj70
Pat, if when you say 'Icy Box' you mean an external USB drive enclosure which takes IDE drives, and you have some old IDE drives, then yes use these. Assuming the drives and the external USB enclosure are working.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Pats machine may live for years, but at least now we have panicked her into doing backups for when the big one hits.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Panic is a bit mild at the moment:)

>>There was a Seagate Firmware update sometime back in 2009 I think. <<

I don't think my disc is a Seagate.
When I get the list of Firmware updates from HP my serial number isn't there.

Mine is: WDCWD5000AAKS-65YGA scs1

Pat

That a Western Digital drive.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks Cheddar!

Pat

Have a look here:

support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&lang=en

Disc Boot Failure - Victorbox
>> For the lasy week or so my PC has made a strange whining noise when
>> booting up in the morning, and for the last couple of days I've had to
>> deliver a good thump on the top, rear of the case to get it to
>> stop.

Failing hard disk bearing or possibly sticking hard disk heads. Sample sounds of sticking heads here: datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php Unfortunately it sounds like the hard disk has now died completely.
 Disc Boot Failure - Meldrew
Not quite the same thing but a while ago I had noisy fan problems plus boot failure but NOT a black screen and it turned out that all that was needed to fix it was to change the 2032 battery on the motherboard. At least that was my friendly computer shop said they fixed it!
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks once again Cheddar, I ran both the quick and the extensive test on the disc and it passed both with no problems!

The sounds are brilliant victorbox, but not like the one mine makes at all:)
No clicking at all just like it's revving up but a bit like a hairdryer.

Meldrew, you may be right yet.

Anyway, the plan is to leave it switched on tonight, pop to Argos in March tomorrow morning and by an external drive to back it up with and then try switching it off tomorrow night and see what happens.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 15:29
>>Thanks once again Cheddar, I ran both the quick and the extensive test on the disc and it passed both with no problems!>>

As I said above it could be that there is nothing wrong with the h/d (the noise could be a fan or simply internal vibration) and the boot failure could have been caused by your thumping designed to quieten the noise.

EDIT: it seems unlikely that the drive is at fault if it passed the WD diagnostics.

>>pop to Argos in March tomorrow morning and by an external drive to back it up with >>

How much data do you have on the PC, a 32GB (or perhaps less) USB stick might be ideal for a back up. Either way make sure you back up.

Last edited by: Cheddar on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 15:38
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I've got 9.09GB on the factory image and 103GB on the local disc but that doesn't mean a lot to me at all.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - neiltoo
I could be totally wrong (no change there then!) but I suspect the power supply.
The noise could be the fan.
If that's not cooling, it won't boot up.

We had a similar failure in the office's oldest box two months ago.
New power supply - sorted.
>> I've got 9.09GB on the factory image and 103GB on the local disc but that
>> doesn't mean a lot to me at all.
>>

You need to back up My Documents etc, My Pictures etc, anything you have created/saved, the 103GB wil be Windows and applications as well as your documents.

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
It may well be the fan Neil, it certainly comes from where it is and it hasn't worked for ages. I thought is sounded as though it was trying to work again until it wouldn't boot this morning.

Can I drag and drop all of my Windows Mail folders on to the external drive tomorrow?

If so I'm happy to plug that into the lappy and then take the desktop to bits and have a look at it.

In fact, I'm rather looking forward to it...all I need is a bit of axle grease around and it will be like old times:)

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - spamcan61
Didn't you have problems with the fan a year or so ago, or was that a different computer?

Anyway, an external HDD really is a must if you've got any vaguely important data. Due to the Thailand floods now is not a good time to buy, but there's a few relatively reasonable deals around.

Argos:-

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9295483/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTERNAL+HARD+DRIVE.htm

Cheaper one at Maplin:-

www.maplin.co.uk/1tb-external-hard-drive-513860

You can do a backup by copy/paste but there are other methods, either using Windows built in backup (as described on the link following) or the likes of 'synctoy'

www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-backup-your-data

Synctoy download:-

www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks spamcan, I did have trouble with the fan and it's never worked since!

Local Argos has one or two in stock bu Maplins is a 40+mile round trip, so although it may be a bit dearer there isn't much difference in the end.

I feel an early morning sessiona with your links coming on for Sunday, I can't do this sort of stuff and make conversation (or bacon sarnies) as well.

Pat
OOOhh before I forget are you running Vista or Win7?
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Vista, and I actually like it too:)

I don't really want to buy a new PC just before Xmas for 3 reasons.

The outlay, changing to Windows 7 and time to set it all up!

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
The change from vista to 7 is not one you will notice from a usability stand, but you will notice from a speed and reliability stand.

Vista to 7 is a no-brainer.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 17:59
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
>> Vista to 7 is a no-brainer.
>>
At the minute it is with 8 just around the corner.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> >> Vista to 7 is a no-brainer.
>> >>
>> At the minute it is with 8 just around the corner.

Oh do tell, you have a release date then?
Don't blame you, the only reason I ask is that Win7 has a built in feature that allows you to back up the whole hard drive to external media - that way you can guarantee that everything is backed up. Just backing up your user account or 'my documents' isn't a 100% guarantee that everything useful has been backed up.

www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

FWIW the Spamettes have Vista HP on their laptops (with 3GB of RAM) and I don't see a big difference between that and Win7 in terms of usability and speed. I still use XP mainly though.
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
Just a though Pat have you looked in the Reliability Monitor ?

I got two Boot Failures in the space of 48 hours with the Failure Detail 0x1.
I replaced the battery and the failures went away.

Still think your boot noise is the PSU fan but it could be you have a couple of issues on the go.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Where do I find the reliability monitor gmac?

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
It needed to have booted windows to put something in the system event and reliability monitor.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 9 Dec 11 at 18:14
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
It did boot. The machine is up now. There isn't a lot of detail in there but you can see a Boot Failure with Failure Detail 0x1 in my case.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> It did boot.

No it didnt

"Disc boot failure. Insert system disc and press enter"

means it never even found the boot sector on the disk and didn't touch windows in any way shape or form. Anything in the system event log is not to do with that error. In any way shape or form.

Stuff in the event log will be subsequent boots of windows and wont show that error.
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
The Windows Vista loader sets a status flag to indicate the boot process has started. If the boot attempt fails the flag is not cleared. The subsequent start will pick up on this.
>> The Windows Vista loader sets a status flag to indicate the boot process has started.

As Zero said, it didn't even recognise there was a drive. Therefore no Windows loader had even been loaded/run. It's on the drive that wasn't recognised in Pat's case.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Except windows vista wasn't loaded, half loaded, partially loaded or even a tiny bit loaded. Nothing was loaded, there was no boot process, no boot loader was found, no operating system was found, no flags, nothing - no boot process. Windows has not the slightest clue that an attempt was made to load, because no part of the windows boot process was found.

Disc Boot Failure - ....
If I'm wrong when Pat looks in the RM tomorrow with the date set to 09/12/2011 it'll be empty.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
no it wont - it will be full of other stuff, but it wont have the failed boot, trust me, its simply not possible.
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
You've lost me now.
If nothing was loaded to log when the faults occurred and no further faults have occurred since the OS was loaded what is going to be in there ?
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
because stuff other than boot failures is logged.
>> You've lost me now.

To simulate what happened to Pat. Unplug your drive. Start the computer. It will fail to boot. Power down and plug it back in. Now boot up. Windows knew nothing of the boot attempt. It wouldn't register anything about booting off another drive (USB, hard disk, CD/DVD, etc).

Back to the original problem. I'd back up everything and replace the drive. Easiest way to move what you have to a new drive is to clone the existing one to a new one.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Gmac

Its probably easier to explain if you ask yourself:

What part, process or function of the computer system generates the "Disc boot failure. Insert system disc and press enter"
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
Start --> Right Click on Computer (right hand side) --> Manage (you'll need the Admin password at this point if you have security on). This opens the Computer Management window.

Left side expand (click onthe arrow head) Reliability and Performance
Expand Monitoring Tools and select Reliability Monitor. The default from HP on my machine is to record the last years worth of data.

It runs 24 hours behind so this mornings failure you will see logged from tomorrow.

If you have been getting Boot Failures for the past few days or weeks then you should see a white cross in a red circle on the Windows Failure line of the graph. Highlight that day and scroll down at the bottom clicking on the + icon next to Windows Failure for (date of failure).
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I'll try that in the morning gmac, but I tend to agree with Zero that it didn't boot at all.....but I'm confused already ( and that's just trying to cook spag bol while posting here!)

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> I'll try that in the morning gmac, but I tend to agree with Zero that
>> it didn't boot at all.....but I'm confused already ( and that's just trying to cook
>> spag bol while posting here!)

got the number for Peterborough general A&E handy?
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
One day, I shall get really offended at your remarks Z:)

Pat
If the old drives are big enough and working. And if the Icy Box enclosure takes them. I'd try that tonight.

A cheap/easy way to make sure everything is really backed up and restorable is to use something free like Clonezilla Live. The equivalent of Ghost. Used that when trying to fix someone's PC recently so I could put it back to a known state.

I also used Clonezilla to help troubleshoot by restoring the cloned machine to a virtual machine. It's a free equivalent of Ghost.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
The Icy box won't work with Vista rtj but I've got an old disc of Ghost that I've never used, I wonder if that will?

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
Easeus Todo has a silly name, but is supposed to be a good, easy to use back-up/cloning program:

download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
The plot thickens!

Much to my annoyance last night (the garlic bread was burning), I automatically switched the PC off when I had intended to leave it on overnight.
I decided that fate had took a hand in this and left it off until 4am this morning!

When I switched on I got the usual revving up noise and gave it a tap over the fan, this stopped the noise, but I got a black screen with a cursor and Err1Err3 flashing.

I lifted the back of the box slightly and let it drop down again and switched it off. When I switched on it booted up fine again so does that clarify the position at all?

I shall now go and make another coffee and attempt to look in the logs as my head gets less fuzzy!

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Reliability Monitor records 'No events of this type are listed for 9/12/2011' when I expand each section.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
I believe Argos also sell PCs....

Disc Boot Failure - AnotherJohnH
IMHO you're pushing your luck.
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
>> When I switched on I got the usual revving up noise and gave it a
>> tap over the fan, this stopped the noise, but I got a black screen with
>> a cursor and Err1Err3 flashing.
>>
HP have the following info on this:
tinyurl.com/cs78hw8

If the BIOS settings have not been changed then new drive time.

What was the general health being reported in the reliability manager? Higher than 9 or somewhere in the middle. Might help you decide if it's worth a new drive or a new machine.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 06:37
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I'm happy to go into the BIOS and change the settings but I don't understand this
>>4.The computer was purchased with a hard drive configuration in standard IDE formatting or as a Redundant Array of Independent Drives (RAID). Select the appropriate setting that matches the configuration that the computer came with: IDE (default) or RAID
>>

I don't know which setting it should be.

Incidentally, I've never changed them so they should be ok?

I can't find a general health report figure anywhere in the reliability manager either.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I think this may be what you mean gmac.

I've run a health check and it comes up with 4.0 as the base score.

Processor 5.0
RAM 5.8
Graphics 4.0
Gaming Graphics 4.1
Primary hard Disk 5.7

So that I can consider all options if I end up getting a new PC today, what size hard disrive do I need to be an improvement on mine?

I don't use a PC for gaming, TV, video or anything like that.

I use it mainly for internet surfing and work/charity records and documentation

An idea of the specs I should be looking for would help.

Another question, ( I know it's a silly one) but if I buy a new hard drive and replace this one will I have to re-install Vista and everything else again?

Thanks

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...what size hard disrive do I need to be an improvement on mine?...

From your earlier posts, you have about 150GB of stuff.

Any desktop will have at least a 250GB drive, probably 500GB or more.

A 500GB drive will give you room to store more than three times what you do at present.

So in this case at least, size doesn't really matter.

You mentioned Argos earlier, their cheapest PC has 500GB

tinyurl.com/cw9lgf7
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 16:03
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
If I'm buying a PC it will be Peterborough in which case it opens up more choice.

Zoostorm....never heard of that make before.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...Zoostorm....never heard of that make before...

Hard to know which brand to go for.

You'll probably not go far wrong with one of the known brands - HP, Dell, Lenovo etc.

Any new PC should give you better performance because it will have a faster processor and more RAM than the current one.
 Disc Boot Failure - Manatee
I just checked for the price and availability of the PC we paid £280 for from Amazon in July, in case they were clearing them cheaply -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003P2V9CS

but it's now £395, and dearer elsewhere! What's going on? I thought PCs got cheaper?

Sounds like the disc heads sticking to me, as per Zero. Noise probably a red herring. I had a work PC for about a year that I had to take the disc out of and give it a flick now and again to start it - didn't keep data on the disc though. I was surprised when it worked the first time, even more surprised by the 20th, but I wouldn't rely on it!

There are only two sorts of PC user. Those who have had a HDD failure, and those who will. You must back up, always, if it would bother you to lose data. I use google docs short term for important work between proper back ups, some people just use a stick.
 Disc Boot Failure - ....
What I meant by the general health comment was what does the reliability chart look like ?
Are there lots of red circles with white crosses or is the machine generally running OK other than this disk issue ?

The scores you have from Windows Experience Index don't look too bad. Vista only scores out of 6 anyway. The graphics could be upgraded but as you say you don't use a PC for gaming, TV etc... so why bother ?

I'd be tempted to get the disk fixed and take it from there others may recommend binning the machine for new.
Prices for computers will have gone up recently due to the flooding of disk drive manufacturers in Thailand.

Pat, the very first thing to do is get a backup of all your files.

One thing I would check if it was my machine are the connections in the PC. And that the fans is clean (they collect dust badly) and turning okay. Easier to see what is going on if the side of the computer is off. I'd also be a bit more scientific than just hitting the PC or lifting it and dropping it :-) When electronics fail they tend to either work or not. Mechanicals like fans and hard drives will gradually deteriorate. But if you ran the diagnostics for the hard drive and that showed no errors - the drive would have logged problems and if it was a SMART enabled drive would have warned you before failure.

Someone above also mentioned the battery on the motherboard. Now there is discussion of BIOS settings and you say you've not changed them. Well if the battery is gone/going you'll find the PC forgets BIOS settings and will revert to standard/default settings.

Shame you were not nearer as I'd take a look.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> The plot thickens!
>>
>> Much to my annoyance last night (the garlic bread was burning), I automatically switched the
>> PC off when I had intended to leave it on overnight.
>> I decided that fate had took a hand in this and left it off until
>> 4am this morning!
>>
>> When I switched on I got the usual revving up noise and gave it a
>> tap over the fan, this stopped the noise, but I got a black screen with
>> a cursor and Err1Err3 flashing.
>

AHA! That's more than a 50/50 chance that the CMOS battery is going. Worth a couple of quid to change that to see if it fixes it.
>> AHA! That's more than a 50/50 chance that the CMOS battery is going.

Especially as the PC is four years old. Someone said they had similar problems and swapping the battery was the cure for them.

If the CMOS gets messed up the computer might not know about the hard drive(s) plugged in etc.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I waited, and waited this morning and then had to make a decision.

I do wish you lot would get up earlier!

After much discussion we worked out that the PC is actually 6 years old and that it made sense to get a new one.

I've bought a 16G memory stick to back up most things and have been and bought a Levono .

I'll go and find the link so you can all tell me a battery would have done the trick:(

Pat

Here we are:

www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-h330-desktop-pc-11290859-pdt.html

Hope you feel guilty on Christmas Day now when you have your dinner.....and I shall have Tesco Value baked beans on toast!
Last edited by: pda on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 15:17
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
>> I waited, and waited this morning and then had to make a decision.
>>
>> I do wish you lot would get up earlier!

I was up early in deepest Sussex, it was so early that the grass was still white, suprised I made it on non winter tyres.

After trains you come second.

>> I've bought a 16G memory stick to back up most things and have been and
>> bought a Levono .

>> www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-h330-desktop-pc-11290859-pdt.html

good bit of kit at a not inflated price.

>>
>> Hope you feel guilty on Christmas Day now when you have your dinner.....and I shall
>> have Tesco Value baked beans on toast!

At least you cant poison the family.
 Disc Boot Failure - R.P.
At least you cant poison the family.

:-)
 Disc Boot Failure - R.P.
That computer's got so much memory it'll feel guilty in the morning !
 Disc Boot Failure - RattleandSmoke
It will be a nice machine that, those Sandybridge processors are staggering fast, even the more basic I3s.

That spec is pretty much my standard build now, and if I don't build it myself I prefer to buy Lenovos well built and they don't come with a load of crap pre installed.
Nice new machine. If the old one was 6 years old, this one will fly in comparison.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Bought a 16GB memory stick from PC world but the Easy Transfer needs 31.2GB so Ian has just gone dashing up to Argos to get another 32GB one!

Now, how do I transfer all my email folders in Windows Mail to the new PC?

The new PC will stay in the box until Wednesday as I'm out tomorrow Monday and Tuesday so I need to keep this one going if possible until then.

If I can get it all backed up today I can use the lappy if the worst happens though.

Pat

Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Are you using Windows Live Mail?
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Yes, well it says Windows Mail.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Open Windows Live Mail.
Click File/Export/Messages from the Menu
Select Microsoft Windows Live Mail as the format.
Choose a destination folder by clicking Browse and pointing to an empty folder or create a new empty folder after navigating to a location via Browse.
Select the account you wish to export, if more than one exists.

Once you complete the wizard, your messages will be stored in the folder you designated with file extensions of .eml. These are rich text e-mail files. Double clicking them will launch Windows Live Mail. You can also right click and open with Notepad, Wordpad or any word processor without the formatting.
 Disc Boot Failure - John H
Windows Mail was built in to Vista.

Windows Live Mail optional in Win 7.
windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/email
"Windows Mail and Outlook Express aren't included in Windows 7. To use your email, you'll need to install a new program. You can download Windows Live Mail for free (if it's not already installed on your PC), or you can get a program from another company.Once your new program is up and running, you'll be able to import your email into it ....... "

explore.live.com/windows-live-mail
Last edited by: John H on Sat 10 Dec 11 at 23:41
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
The Easy Transfer has completed this morning and hopefully the mail is in with that but apparantly a lot of people have had problems accorfing to Google.

As a belt and braces approach Zero I tried your methos as well, but even though I created a new empty foldoer on the memory stick the wizard kept telling me the folder must be empty and wouldn't go any further....typical!

Does anyone know if Windows 7 will run OK with my copy of Office XP Professinal 2002?

I do hope so, I've grown very attached to it.

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - smokie
Yes Office 2002 will be fine with Windows 7.
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks Smokie, that's a relief!

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Ok if you have mail transfer issues, this prog will do it.

Its free for 15 days ad fully functional during that time, Install it on your old, export mail out, install it on your new, and import it in.

Its the tool I have always used.

ajsystems.com/expressassist/eadnload.html
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks Z, here goes:)

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Victorbox
>> Windows Mail was built in to Vista.
>>
>> Windows Live Mail optional in Win 7.
>> windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/email
>> "Windows Mail and Outlook Express aren't included in Windows 7. To use your email, you'll need to install a new program. You can download Windows Live Mail for free (if it's not already installed on your PC)

In my experience Windows Live Mail is a bloated, slow loading piece of junk compared to Outlook or even Windows Mail - which I reverted back to on the one Vista laptop we have.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
I have windows live mail on my windows 7 machine, Not a bloated slow loading piece of junk here.
>> Windows Live Mail is a bloated, slow loading piece of junk compared to Outlook or even Windows Mail - which I reverted back to on the one Vista laptop we have. >>

Did you use an older version of Live Mail?

history of Live Mail
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mail

current version is Version 2011 (Wave 4) released on September 30, 2010.
 Disc Boot Failure - Zero
Pats quiet, wonder if its all gone TU!
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Dec 11 at 08:10
 Disc Boot Failure - Focusless
She posted at 4am this morning - perhaps she's off on a job.
 Disc Boot Failure - Iffy
...perhaps she's off on a job...

I think Pat's plan is to get on the (new computer) job today.

Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Well, Iffy is rtight, I was busy and couldn't really get around to this until today and it's all gone exceedingly well:)

I have to say (through gritted teeth!) the programme Zero recommended did the trick almost perfectly and I ended up doing a complete backup to transfer through that programme as well as a safeguard.

The thing that has irked me all day is Windows Live Mail.....I hate it.

It's so user unfriendly and so difficult to find menus to customise it to how I want it.

The main problem though is my imported mail from the old PC.

It has imported but it tells me it will be in the storage folder, but when I click on Storage folder it's empty.

However, if I ask it to search for mail from say, April 2011 it all appears.

How can I get it into a storage folder that I can access easily from the folder menu?

It took me ages to find my contacts, and the 'forward' button!

I thought about using Outlook but I'm not sure I can migrate ALL of the emails from Live Mail now into outlook because certainly the *wab isn't used in Live but I think it is in Outlook.

If I can access my old emails then I'm almost certainly able to live with Live Mail but I'll never like it.

Pat
See if the tutorial here helps:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqSDksC0pQ

Among other things, it tells you how to enable the storage folders to be visible.

another guide: www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/windows_live_mail/use_windows_live_mail.php
Last edited by: John H on Wed 14 Dec 11 at 18:28
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
Thanks John H, but I've just realised why I'm struggling with this.

I watched part 1 ove the You Tube first and where it says 'click this button here to show all menus' I don't have that button.

So I went to the tutorial and it says
>>Clicking on the "Show Menu" button located right beside the brush icon and selecting Layout would open the layout window via which you can choose the various options available for changing the interface and layout - refer images below.<<

I don't have that toolbar at all or even the brush icon.

Help please!

Pat
 Disc Boot Failure - Pat
I thought it might be a good idea to update this thread, although it pains me to do so.

I gave my old desktop to my Son with it's problem intact, for him to use it for spares to upgrade his.

He picked it up on Christmas Day, blew the dust out of it with a can of compressed air on Boxing Day and it's worked perfectly ever since!

He's delighted with it;)

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Fri 9 Mar 12 at 03:58
Latest Forum Posts